Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A&P will be no more

A&P will be no more

Looks like A&P will be selling-off about half their stores and shuttering the others, and will cease operations.

When I was a kid (40+ years ago), we'd sometimes go to the A&P, they had a few things my mom liked.

It wasn't a very large store, grocery stores back then were smaller affairs.

Fewer items came individually wrapped (in boxes) back in the "olden days."

Over the years, grocery stores (including A&P) have gotten much larger. Now they are building Meijer grocery stores here, and they're enormous.

I read Aldi is probably doing better (financially) than most of the others, which is pretty funny seeing as their stores are much smaller and selection much more limited.

They haven't had any A&P stores around here for a while. Still I have fond memories of that place because I used to enjoy huffing the coffee aroma.

A&P has been dying for a long time now. They were THE major supermarket early in their life but they just didn't adapt to the changes in the market. They've gone through quite a number of reorganizations. I was surprised when I heard about their shutdown - I thought they had gone out of business some years ago.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Sigh. The passing of another American Icon. I wonder if anyone even remembers the full name that the letters stood for. It didn't seem grandiose in the company's early days.
    you can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hinds View Post
    Sigh. The passing of another American Icon. I wonder if anyone even remembers the full name that the letters stood for. It didn't seem grandiose in the company's early days.

Do you mean Atlantic and Pacific food store and their own products were Ann Page

Blog Entries
    Sad to hear. That was an old school grocery store. Eight O'Clock coffee. I always liked the stores.

We use Wegmans weekly and Costco maybe bi-weekly.

PHM
    Last edited by Paul McGaha; 07-21-2015 at 8:41 PM.

Are Piggly Wigglys still around?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

A&P has been gone from around here for a long time, maybe the late 70's or early 80's. Still see some of the stores standing. Then they came back by buying local chain Farmer Jack, only to eventually shut them all down after a big expansion. There's a good number of those still empty. The former Farmer Jack near our house sat empty for years after being open only a couple years before the hospital bought it and converted it to warehouse, PT, and dialysis space. Another new one in Toledo got torn down and replaced by a Kroger Marketplace store.

Yes, Piggly Wiggly is still around. I was in one in Tennessee a few weeks ago.

And A & P was "The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company."

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hinds View Post
    Sigh. The passing of another American Icon.
    Yep. Absolutely.

Either that or the death of another hidebound old-line corporation that could not figure out how to avoid being eaten by the efficient capitalist competition.

People wail and wring their hands at the destruction of the old central town, and the "when I was a kid" stores, caused by the _________ superstore, while all the time shopping at that superstore and ordering online from A'zon.

They got plain-old smoked by the modern, more nimble, competition. Those numbers you read about growth in national productivity? They climb because people figure out how to increase output without a corresponding increase in input, and the GDP per capita raises. The inefficient are left in the dust by the unmerciful hand of economics...........

And - yep - me too. When I was in 3d and 4th grade, in a small town in Virginia, me, my brother, and a friend would scramble around to find pennies and nickles until we got to 39 cents, and walk 3 blocks to the downtown A&P for a HUGE delicious watermelon, and carry it home on a hot summer's day and devour it, laughing all the time. Halcyon days. And I loved the A&P and I'll miss them, but they can't take that memory, and they failed, and that's on them.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

C'est la vie. You play with the bull, you get the horns. They've squeezed plenty of mom and pop markets out of business. I wonder who will squeeze the current survivors out? Maybe we'll all just order our groceries online from Amazon and Walmart next year.

Didn't realize A&P was a national chain., thought it was just here in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern states.

Interesting article on how and why Aldi (and TJ's) are so effective: http://frugalbites.com/why-is-aldi-s...-supermarkets/

Probably the future of grocery retailing though the shopping cart thing really bugs me.
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 07-21-2015 at 10:29 PM.

LOML, every Saturday at 7 am in season, goes to a local farmer's market. AFAIK all "organic" but includes dead critter products as well as veggies. Excellent stuff, very fresh, all locally grown. Gets most of her needs for the upcoming week. But, also goes to the neighborhood Publix - they seem to be a very well-run outfit.

So -- It won't all necessarily come from wherever - - that will be an option. I am pretty confident the local farmer's market stuff carries a premium which "we" are willing to pay because it's really good......
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Didn't realize A&P was a national chain., thought it was just here in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern states.

Interesting article on how and why Aldi (and TJ's) are so effective: http://frugalbites.com/why-is-aldi-s...-supermarkets/

Probably the future of grocery retailing though the shopping cart thing really bugs me.
    What bugs me is the people who leave a shopping cart in a parking space so that you have to get out of your car and move the cart before you can park. I always take one or two cart from the lot back to the store when I go in. If everyone did that, the lot would be kept clear of carts. Or people could return their carts.

The 25 cents for a cart would appeal to me, except if I didn't have a quarter in my pocket.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Back in the 50's A&P had over 5000 stores coast to coast. They were easily the largest grocery chain in the country. Their strongest markets were the east and west coasts and not so strong in the south and midwest. Regional chains modernized and upgraded their stores much earlier than A&P and ate into their market share. Divisions in the weaker markets could no longer meet their bloated distribution costs and older, smaller stores were no longer profitable.

They were also late to embrace technology. I was with Kroger back in the 50's and we were using IBM inventory control at store level then. A&P was using pencils.

The 8 O'clock coffee brand is sold in many stores today, including independents here in St. Louis.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

There are chains that I didn't know were owned by A&P - Superfresh and Pathmark in the mid-Atlantic area. Some of those are closing but I don't think all, at least not yet.