Thread: Anyone Make A Hook And Loop Pad For A Porter Cable Model 330 Sander

Anyone Make A Hook And Loop Pad For A Porter Cable Model 330 Sander

I have a Porter Cable 330 1/4 sheet sander with a stikit pad for use with PSA sandpaper.

Putting psa paper on is easy but removing it is a pita and after a few sandpaper changes the edges of the stikit pad starts coming off in small pieces and if you use the sander a lot you need to replace the stikit pad fairly often.

I really like the sander but wonder if anyone knows if someone makes a hook and loop conversion pad for this model?

If not, does any manufacturer make a 1/4 sheet finish sander with available hook and loop pads?

Thank you

You can buy a hook and loop kit with adhesive from Lowes, and probably other sources, to replace worn out hook pad surfaces or to convert PSA sander pads to hook and loop. You glue on the material with the provided glue, apply pressure, (I placed my sander on my workbench and weighted it down) for 24 hours and trim off the excess material. I did two sanders about 2 years ago and they are still holding fine. I think it's better material than the original.

Before converting the 1/4 sheet sander, look for a source of compatible sandpaper. I haven't seen any for these sanders here, although you could buy the round ones and trim them.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 07-21-2015 at 7:37 PM.

I used one of the glue-on hook & loop pads on a RA sander. Not impressed with it. I have a 330. The factory clamps seem to hold the sandpaper fine for me.

John

I have the Rockwell predecessor of the 330 and use it with the clamped on plain sandpaper (1/4 a 8.5x11 sheet). I find the rounded edge handy sometimes for concave surfaces. I use my random orbit a lot more but the old Rockwell has lasted longer than several random orbit sanders. It is also pretty comfortable in the hand and will reach better into corners.

Porter Cable used to make a hook and loop pad (13596) for the 330 but looks like that's not available anymore. I've made my own pad for this in the past as I like you was not impressed with the foam in the factory pad. I ended up using some neoprene I had and sprayed glued onto some aluminum sheeting then drilled the appropriate mounting holes. The neoprene has less give than the foam but the hook and loop makes up for it. As for other manufacturers, I know Festool makes a small sander, the RTS400 that is hook and loop. It is not a true quarter sheet in that the pad size is metric and longer in one direction and shorter in the other, but they have their own paper for it so you don't have to hunt around. Of course the price is really up there, although I find the sandpaper prices to be reasonable. And the dust collection would be a plus since the 330 has none.

I had the same problem with the 5" h&l pad on my porter cable RO sander. A new pad from PC was about $14. I found that Ryobi had a replacement pad for $5. Check HD for it.

When hook and loop sanders begin having trouble holding onto the paper, look closely at the pad on the sander. It usually means that a significant number of the hooks have broken off. It's then time to replace the pad or the sander.

Charley