Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: McDonalds....will they ever get it?

The big news today is that McDonalds announced that their "breakfast all day" test has been a success and they will make their breakfast menu available 24/7 at all locations starting in October.

Quite frankly the only thing I've had there that I've thought was halfway decent was the regular cheeseburger ($1 menu), and the "sausage and egg McMuffin," which runs over $4 which is odd seeing as the sausage-only McMuffin (which has cheese but no egg) is $1, so basically you're paying $3 for a fried egg.

They used to have good fries but changed the formulation of their oil and ruined them (terrible aftertaste now).

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post

Anyone remember Burger Chef from the 70's? I loved those as hamburgers as a kid.
    Where I grew up was far from any fast food joints, but I went to Mount Pleasant to compete in the track state finals and there was a Burger Chef there. I thought they were good myself, but then they were something different and I was just a kid, what did I know?

Burger Chef and Jeff.........

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    There was a time in the mid-70's....can't remember the details..can barely remember the mid-70's......
    I have that same syndrome! I think I may have picked it up at a CCR concert.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I have that same syndrome! I think I may have picked it up at a CCR concert.
    Naah man -- Not CCR....I think it was most likely Little Feat, but may have been Jethro Tull.............I know for sure that Catfish Hodge caused a lot of it, performing occasionally at a bar on S Main in Blacksburg, VA - 2 blocks from the frat house -- but don't know if you ever heard of him.......Detroit-area guy, though.....
    Last edited by Kent A Bathurst; 07-23-2015 at 6:40 PM.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    Yea, those sirloin burgers are really good. But aren't they just a promotional item, so they won't stay around? What I miss at McDonald's are the Johnsonville Brats they sold several years ago in the summer.

What is really good? The fries from Five Guys where they actually have sacks of potatoes in the lobby showing they aren't factory made and frozen like everyone else's. So what is so hard about making fresh fries?
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    There was a time in the mid-70's....can't remember the details..can barely remember the mid-70's......when McD had some kind of anniversary promotion - maybe 25 yrs? - and they had hamburgers - -the basic hamburger - on sale at 15 cents.

Sitting at the bar in the basement of the frat, drinking draft beer, having previously completed certain controlled experiments on comprehension adjustment.

Reach in the wallet, grab a $5, turn around and yell: "Hey!! Pledge!! Go get us $5 worth of hamburgers, please!!"

Not having spent the time on actual math, to realize what that meant...........back comes bags of burgers - - 33 in all.

Everybody had plenty, that's for sure.
    I was working at a McDonalds for that. It would have been 1975 or 1976. It was crazy. Just selling the small burgers and occasionally someone would order a drink. People weren't ordering fries or anything else on the menu.

Our grill had the capacity to cook 96 of the small patties and we had to keep the grill full until way into the evening to keep up. Our bun supplier had to keep a truck on site all day to keep us in buns. It took a couple of trucks as I recall.

I think McDonald's food was way better back then.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I loved Arby's back in the day when they slow roasted their beef and sliced it right in front of you. It wasn't the processed junk they sell now. I do like their fish sandwiches though
    I'm not sure if the chunks of roast beef are raw when started or if they're reheated but the chunks are definitely sliced as needed for their roast beef sandwiches at the two we frequent. You may well be right about some of the other offerings. I did order a 'limited time' sandwich one time because it sounded good. It did not live up to its billing - at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It may be well over 23 years since I have been into a McD's. I make my own version of the Egg McMuffin at home now.

jtk
    Never been in one or a KFC or any other fast food joint that is part of a chain. I know, I am weird, there I have said it.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I'm not sure if the chunks of roast beef are raw when started or if they're reheated but the chunks are definitely sliced as needed for their roast beef sandwiches at the two we frequent. You may well be right about some of the other offerings. I did order a 'limited time' sandwich one time because it sounded good. It did not live up to its billing - at all.
    There is an interesting snopes article about their roast beef:

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/arbys.asp

I'm still not clear on what is actually is (other than delicious). I can't figure out if it is low-end cuts of beef with some chemical that tenderizes the snot out of it, or if it is actually pressed/glued bits of beef.

This inquiring mind sort of doesn't want to know. Okay go ahead and tell me, I can take it.

I avoid rotten ronnies at all costs. In my early twenties I'd stop in and get a couple egg mcmuffins on my way to the job site... Without exception I wouldn't be hungry again till well after lunch if I ate a couple of those plastic disks. If I took the time and made my own egg and bacon muffins without exception I'd be ready to eat again by the first break of the day. I have no idea what's in their "food" but I doubt it's actually digestible. Personally when anyone suggests rotten ronnies for a quick bite I say I'd rather eat dirt or meet them after I've gone somewhere where actual food is served. Wouldn't eat it even f they were giving it away.

KFC ain't any better. Ordered a dinner their thinking they should be better than rotten ronnies and all I can say is what was suppose to be a leg was some sort of animal tissue compressed into the shape of a leg.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

I stopped going when they stopped keeping a little inventory ready. Me: what do you have ready now?
    Cashier: we'll make whatever you want!
    Me: if I had time to wait I'd go somewhere where the food is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ashton View Post
    I avoid rotten ronnies at all costs. In my early twenties I'd stop in and get a couple egg mcmuffins on my way to the job site... Without exception I wouldn't be hungry again till well after lunch if I ate a couple of those plastic disks. If I took the time and made my own egg and bacon muffins without exception I'd be ready to eat again by the first break of the day. I have no idea what's in their "food" but I doubt it's actually digestible. Personally when anyone suggests rotten ronnies for a quick bite I say I'd rather eat dirt or meet them after I've gone somewhere where actual food is served. Wouldn't eat it even f they were giving it away.

KFC ain't any better. Ordered a dinner their thinking they should be better than rotten ronnies and all I can say is what was suppose to be a leg was some sort of animal tissue compressed into the shape of a leg.

Yeah, you gotta get the sausage mcmuffin with egg. Much better than the egg mcmuffin!

I prefer to cook my own now that it's summer time.

Blue cheese on a burger, it's the best.

Dennis you're making me hungry , blue cheese is great on a burger
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Yeah, you gotta get the sausage mcmuffin with egg. Much better than the egg mcmuffin!
    bleck! Thinking of rotten ronnies sausage, it honestly makes me lose any craving for something to eat.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!