Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: McDonalds....will they ever get it?

I had a purebred Malamute from Nome Alaska that I was teaching to stay in the back of the truck with no chain and after a good day I decided that he needed a reward.

I went to McDonalds and bought a couple of hamburgers and took them out to the truck to give to Ebo, that was the dogs name. I set them on the side of the bed and he walked over, smelled them, and pushed them on the ground. I thought maybe he was confused by the bread, so I picked them up and opened them up to the meat[?]. He just pushed them off on the ground again. This was a dog that I thought would eat anything and a lot of it, but he was not impressed.

I have not eaten at Mcdonalds since........

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I had a purebred Malamute from Nome Alaska that I was teaching to stay in the back of the truck with no chain and after a good day I decided that he needed a reward.

I went to McDonalds and bought a couple of hamburgers and took them out to the truck to give to Ebo, that was the dogs name. I set them on the side of the bed and he walked over, smelled them, and pushed them on the ground. I thought maybe he was confused by the bread, so I picked them up and opened them up to the meat[?]. He just pushed them off on the ground again. This was a dog that I thought would eat anything and a lot of it, but he was not impressed.

Ebo was smart! As a kid, I remember getting taken to McDonalds and I hated their hamburger. I took one bite and spit it out in a napkin and never ate another one until I was in my teens. I only tried it once then, and the years between didn't shed light on any vast improvements to my taste buds. I don't mind their breakfast, I can deal with that fine, but I've never liked their regular hamburgers.

Anyone remember Burger Chef from the 70's? I loved those as hamburgers as a kid.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

If I want a fast burger I go to Steak and Shake. The burgers are small but fresh and cooked while you wait.

I've always disliked Arby's but they've been advertising a big BLT in this market. I tried one for lunch and was surprised how tasty it was and how much bacon was on it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

At a previous job we had some consultants in that did supply chain stuff. They'd just done a supply chain analysis of McDonald's "beef" supply. Disgusting....

Blog Entries
    Mickey D's has never been a choice for me.

I like mustard on my hamburger. Must have gotten used to it at a small chain in the area of my youth called Foster's Freeze.

When ever I asked for mustard on my burger at MD the reaction was always one of disgust. Was that something they looked for when hiring or did they train it in?

They finally got packets of mustard in some of their outlets. About the only thing I would eat there is the Egg McMuffin and then I would ask if they had mustard before I ordered.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

When I am in the mood for a quick burger I typically will hit Carl Jr. They have pretty good ones and at a reasonable price. The only thing I really like at McDs is the egg mcmuffin. Those are good and not all that bad for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Mickey D's has never been a choice for me.

I like mustard on my hamburger. Must have gotten used to it at a small chain in the area of my youth called Foster's Freeze.

When ever I asked for mustard on my burger at MD the reaction was always one of disgust. Was that something they looked for when hiring or did they train it in?

They finally got packets of mustard in some of their outlets. About the only thing I would eat there is the Egg McMuffin and then I would ask if they had mustard before I ordered.

jtk

I don't think McD's burger "recipes" have changed, but when I worked there 23 years ago, there was mustard on the hamburger, cheeseburger and quarter-pounder--standard (along with ketchup, pickles and onions). Granted, there wasn't much mustard on there, but you could order it with extra if you wanted (called a "grill" order--and I learned that was the best way to get a fresh burger). My biggest issue with fast-food burgers is that thanks to lawsuits and subsequent health codes, they cook those things dead now. No thanks. I like a thick burger cooked medium rare to medium.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post

The dog was actually telling you that you couldn't bribe him with a couple hamburgers. He was expecting the McRib sandwich!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    If I want a fast burger I go to Steak and Shake. The burgers are small but fresh and cooked while you wait.

I've always disliked Arby's but they've been advertising a big BLT in this market. I tried one for lunch and was surprised how tasty it was and how much bacon was on it.
    I wish there were Steak 'n' Shakes around here but there aren't. Their menu is a good step up from McDonalds/BurgerKing/Wendys etc. I often had their Cincinnati-ish Chili. We have two cats that love Arby's roast beef. Buddy knows the word "Arbys" and will come running if he hears it - or smells it. Arbys ranks right up there with seeing the grill cooking away in their world. Spoiled? Nah, what would make you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    So far as fastish food goes I prefer Culver's
    I do think they serve an above-average burger.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    The dog was actually telling you that you couldn't bribe him with a couple hamburgers. He was expecting the McRib sandwich!

+1. Smart dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I wish there were Steak 'n' Shakes around here but there aren't. Their menu is a good step up from McDonalds/BurgerKing/Wendys etc. I often had their Cincinnati-ish Chili. We have two cats that love Arby's roast beef. Buddy knows the word "Arbys" and will come running if he hears it - or smells it. Arbys ranks right up there with seeing the grill cooking away in their world. Spoiled? Nah, what would make you say that?
    I loved Arby's back in the day when they slow roasted their beef and sliced it right in front of you. It wasn't the processed junk they sell now. I do like their fish sandwiches though

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I loved Arby's back in the day when they slow roasted their beef and sliced it right in front of you. It wasn't the processed junk they sell now. I do like their fish sandwiches though
    and these companies think the consumer will never notice the switch.

There was a time in the mid-70's....can't remember the details..can barely remember the mid-70's......when McD had some kind of anniversary promotion - maybe 25 yrs? - and they had hamburgers - -the basic hamburger - on sale at 15 cents.

Sitting at the bar in the basement of the frat, drinking draft beer, having previously completed certain controlled experiments on comprehension adjustment.

Reach in the wallet, grab a $5, turn around and yell: "Hey!! Pledge!! Go get us $5 worth of hamburgers, please!!"

Not having spent the time on actual math, to realize what that meant...........back comes bags of burgers - - 33 in all.

Everybody had plenty, that's for sure.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    but when I worked there 23 years ago
    It may be well over 23 years since I have been into a McD's. I make my own version of the Egg McMuffin at home now.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)