Thread: Workbench vise Pen press

Blog Entries

Workbench vise Pen press

Many people have said they use their workbench vise as a pen press, so I thought that is what I would use too, since I have a really great workbench. It has round bench dogs. I just used some scrap pieces of wood against two bench dogs and turned the screw while holding the pieces to be pressed. Well this was pretty awkward because I need to get the pen positioned perfectly centered on the dogs or the dog will twist in the hole and the whole thing slips out.
    I have looked all over and can't seem to find any body else that has this problem and therefore no solution, so I decided to make me some custome jaws for by workbench. This is what I came up with. What do you think?

I have no ideas as to why these come in upside down!!!! They are not this way in file explorer. Oh well, maybe you can stand on you head to see them or turn you monitor upside down.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 07-21-2015 at 10:20 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    After some testing, I think my design could use some tweaking. It has solved the twisting problem quite nicely, but unless I place the pen very low on the blocks, the jaws will lift up off the bench as I tighten the vise. I am thinking maybe the wooden "dogs" in the blocks need to be a little larger in diameter(they fit pretty loose in the hole) and also a bit longer as well. I will probably need to make some new ones to accomplish this though.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 07-22-2015 at 10:16 AM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Neat idea. One suggestion to reduce the tendency of the pegs to pull up would be to drill a through hole lengthwise in the peg, then cut a slot halfway through the peg lengthwise, centered on the drilled hole. Then a flat head machine bolt and wing nut can be used to expand the end of the peg in the dog hole, jamming the peg into the hole and keeping it from lifting.

Also, drill a small hole for the pen tip to fit into, and mark the opposite jaw opposite that hole to align the pen during assembly will help placing it in line.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

Nice workaround.

I think most people saying they use a vise are prob using the jaws of a vise not a dog but I could be wrong.

I used to use a Wilton metal woodworkers style vise to assemble pens.

Since moved on to milescraft pen press.

I think you'll get much more work done if you mounted the workbench on the floor instead of the ceiling...

After I went through many iterations of different ways to not buy a pen assembly press, I finally caved in and picked one up during a Woodcraft sale. Can't beat the speed and ease of the pen press. I can save lot of time, pressing the pens and making sure the nib extends the right amount. All sorts of benefits. Get the one with the spring. It holds the pen for you.

That is a very ingenious idea though. Just like the pen press. BUT the press uses a lever, instead of turning a handle. It just speeds up the process tremendously. I had a similar one, but I used cauls in a standard metal vise. Had to remove the jaws and build a wood jaw set. Tom is right on for the holes. I did that too. Drop in some super glue for wear resistance.

Blog Entries
    Kyle,
    I am just getting started, and to be frank, I am still trying to decide if I want to invest any more than I already have. At this point speed is not much of a consideration for me yet either. Not spending any more money than I have to is at the top of the list right now. It gives me a chance to be creative

BTW: Moving the workbench to the floor from the ceiling is next "up" on my list. I really thought I could save some space while utilizing an otherwise unused portion of the shop. It has turned out to be a bit problematic however. I have to use velcro on all my tools to get them to stay put on the workbench
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 07-22-2015 at 2:06 PM.
    Larry J Browning

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilson66 View Post
    Neat idea. One suggestion to reduce the tendency of the pegs to pull up would be to drill a through hole lengthwise in the peg, then cut a slot halfway through the peg lengthwise, centered on the drilled hole. Then a flat head machine bolt and wing nut can be used to expand the end of the peg in the dog hole, jamming the peg into the hole and keeping it from lifting.

Also, drill a small hole for the pen tip to fit into, and mark the opposite jaw opposite that hole to align the pen during assembly will help placing it in line.
    Your suggestions are very much appreciated. I will try to implement all of them.
    Larry J Browning

I tried the vise method but wasn't overly happy so I wound up just turning a morse taper on a couple pieces of delrin rod I had and just use my lathe.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Blog Entries
    Side note: I never can remember if that clamp like thing on my bench is spelled viCe or viSe, so I googled it. Turns out that both are right. It depends on where you live. Here in the Americas we spell it with the "s", while all other English speaking countries spell it with the "c".
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 07-22-2015 at 3:23 PM.
    Larry J Browning

10. I've used a drill press, a hand clamp and the lathe to press pens together.

finally got a dedicated pen press and won't look back.

when you make a hundred at a time - the press really makes a difference

I can't help but this is a drawing of a pen press I made almost 10 years ago.

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Tur...essPlans-1.pdf
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Blog Entries
    I took Tom Wilson's suggestion and changed it a bit after a trip to the hardware store. I found some rubber graments and they work great!
    They tighten down with ease and are rock solid. I may later build the press Sid posted if I feel the need for speed. But I am good for now.
    Thanks everyone for the help!

BTW: While I was at it I moved the bench off the ceiling as well. Tools seem to stay put a little better now!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 07-22-2015 at 10:47 PM.
    Larry J Browning

Looks great Larry. I would say you did good!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Gibson View Post
    I tried the vise method but wasn't overly happy so I wound up just turning a morse taper on a couple pieces of delrin rod I had and just use my lathe.
    Craft Supplies has one ready made for about $20. I think the lathe tailstock works much smoother than the bench vise.

Steve

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    Craft Supplies has one ready made for about $20. I think the lathe tailstock works much smoother than the bench vise.

Steve
    Sort of depends on the lathe you are using doesn't it? I have a Shopsmith.
    Plus, I kinda like figuring out ways of doing things without going out and buying stuff. Making due with what I have. This is a hobby for me. It's the journey, not the destination that is important to me. If I was trying to make money at it, my approach would be completely different.
    Larry J Browning