Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Laptop/ update to Windows 10

New Laptop/ update to Windows 10

I have been holding off purchasing a new laptop waiting for Windows 10. Sales person at the office store said win 10 release next week but will be a bit longer before you see new laptops with Win 10 installed.
    I am seeing some great prices on 8.1 with back to school season around the corner.
    How big a deal is upgrading a laptop from 8.1 to 10?
    My thought is when I upgrade I will still have junk left over from 8.1 on my system. Just rather start with 10.
    I kinda need a new laptop sooner than later.
    Should I hold off for a win 10 machine or am I concerned over nothing?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I had Win8 on my laptop and moved it over to Win10 about 8 months ago. It has been a constant update instead of a full install but this is the trial version so I am not sure how the full Win10 version will be. I would guess it would be an update like install also. I still like Win7 better but Win10 is a lot better than 8. The IE replacement is kind of funky. I might try something else.

I'd probably wait for a clean install, and would probably wait at least a couple months (longer wouldn't hurt) after Windows 10 is released for the most obvious bugs to be found and squished. Except for the part most obvious to users - the user interface - I'm not sure how much 'under the hood' difference there is between the latest Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. I suspect not that much.

I would buy now and wait a few days till Windows 10 comes out to start really using it and upgrade for free. That way you get the better price and have a fresh windows 10

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I'd probably wait for a clean install, and would probably wait at least a couple months (longer wouldn't hurt) after Windows 10 is released for the most obvious bugs to be found and squished. Except for the part most obvious to users - the user interface - I'm not sure how much 'under the hood' difference there is between the latest Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. I suspect not that much.
    Windows 10 has been testing for 12 months now. if the bugs aren't already found by now, Microsoft may as well close down because of incompotence.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Troy View Post
    Windows 10 has been testing for 12 months now. if the bugs aren't already found by now, Microsoft may as well close down because of incompetence.
    LOL, just wait. No matter how much you test, there will be situations, software, machines, that the software has not been tested on and there will be failures. It's a fact of software life. I wish it wasn't.

Even after the software has been in general use for a year or more, there will be problems found.

Mike

[I spent a fair amount of my career managing software engineers.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 07-22-2015 at 1:17 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Troy View Post
    Windows 10 has been testing for 12 months now. if the bugs aren't already found by now, Microsoft may as well close down because of incompotence.
    Microsoft finds bugs in their products constantly. Why do you think they releases patches every month?

It is impossible to test a product used by millions of users with every possible combination that users have. Bugs will be found once software is out in the wild.

Blog Entries
    I know of at least 2 people who have recently bought Win8.1 PCs and are just storing them on a shelf waiting for Win10 to come out. The plan is to remove all the crapware first and then do the upgrade before proceeding. That way they get the good pricing now. I have not heard of anyone having trouble with the upgrade, especially on a brand new computer. I think the smart thing to do is to wait a few months to upgrade anyway, so you are looking at November or so to do the upgrade. Why not go ahead and get one now, start using it, trying not to do any major tweaking and then do the upgrade in a few months? Don't wait too long though, the free upgrade will only be available for one year. I think it will be around $100 to upgrade after that.

I think if it were me, I would try to find a new computer with Win7 or 8.1 Pro installed, that way you can then upgrade to Win10 Pro. Plus, generally, a Win7 Pro computer has less crapware installed due to it being marketed to businesses rather than home users. If you don't care about the Pro features, then it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 07-22-2015 at 3:19 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    I know of at least 2 people who have recently bought Win8.1 PCs and are just storing them on a shelf waiting for Win10 to come out. The plan is to remove all the crapware first and then do the upgrade before proceeding. That way they get the good pricing now. I have not heard of anyone having trouble with the upgrade, especially on a brand new computer. I think the smart thing to do is to wait a few months to upgrade anyway, so you are looking at November or so to do the upgrade. Why not go ahead and get one now, start using it, trying not to do any major tweaking and then do the upgrade in a few months? Don't wait too long though, the free upgrade will only be available for one year. I think it will be around $100 to upgrade after that.

I think if it were me, I would try to find a new computer with Win7 or 8.1 Pro installed, that way you can then upgrade to Win10 Pro. Plus, generally, a Win7 Pro computer has less crapware installed due to it being marketed to businesses rather than home users. If you don't care about the Pro features, then it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Why do they feel like they are winning by doing this? Do you expect the new Windows 10 computers to be a lot more expensive?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Why do they feel like they are winning by doing this? Do you expect the new Windows 10 computers to be a lot more expensive?
    No, not at all. My thinking is this: Traditionally, late summer is a good time to buy a PC. Many retailers are having back-to-school specials on school supplies, computers are school supplies. By the time new computers start shipping with Win10, the back-to-school deals will not be available.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 07-22-2015 at 3:56 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Dell says they are shipping Windows 10 machines starting on the 29th.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Dell says they are shipping Windows 10 machines starting on the 29th.
    I have been reading that the July 29th date was when it was going to START rolling out the upgrade and that new PC's would would be "sometime" (whatever that means!) after that. So, if that is the case, then the main advantage of buying now would be that you could still choose to delay upgrading to Win 10 for a few months.
    Larry J Browning

I have a dell laptop eligible for the windows 10 upgrade. This will be my test machine as I plant to run the upgrade the moment it is available. That will tell me what to expect for my desktop. If they have been testing for 12 months then maybe, just maybe, win 10 will be mostly bug free. I wonder where this expression came from?

most versions of windows go through a year or more of testing. I tested windows 7 almost 2 years before it came out. Windows Messy was one that they forced out early and Vista only had about a year of testing.

I was told by the sales person that windows 10 will be released on the 29th but don't expect to just go on-line and download it. You will have to get on a waiting list and then be invited to download at a later date. Guess they are trying to avoid a system crash on the 29th.
    I have been pricing laptops since last fall. The prices right now are much lower.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale