Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Laptop/ update to Windows 10

Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Thanks for the link.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I'm beginning to think there is no Windows after 7.

8 is a joke.
    8.1 is not much better.
    9 stillborn
    10 might be worth looking at in a year or so. Probably not.
    Home users, buy a Mac!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    I'm beginning to think there is no Windows after 7.

8 is a joke.
    8.1 is not much better.
    9 stillborn
    10 might be worth looking at in a year or so. Probably not.
    Home users, buy a Mac!
    I've been using 8.1 with an add-on program to get rid of the Metro interface. And like that 8.1 is good - I like it. It boots fast and it's been stable with the applications I run. If 10 is better than 8.1 I'm sure I'll like it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I've been using 8.1 with an add-on program to get rid of the Metro interface. And like that 8.1 is good - I like it. It boots fast and it's been stable with the applications I run. If 10 is better than 8.1 I'm sure I'll like it.

Mike
    I suspect viewing 10 as 8.2 with a different face wouldn't miss it too far. When I first installed Win 10 in a virtual machine, Windows 10 was not listed but Windows 8.1 was. I told it I was installing Windows 8.1. It installed and ran with no hiccups.

I've been using 8.1 with an add-on program to get rid of the Metro interface. And like that 8.1 is good - I like it.
    Same here. I run Windows 7 Pro at work, and 8.1 Pro at home. With a start menu add-on for 8.1, it's identical to Windows 7, only faster.

8 is a joke.
    8.1 is not much better.
    Then you've probably never used it.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Grzadzinski View Post
    Then you've probably never used it.
    I have. It's a joke.
    I'll be a sucker to try 10. But I'll make a disk image of my boot drive first.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I have. It's a joke.
    I'll be a sucker to try 10. But I'll make a disk image of my boot drive first.
    What about it don't you like? My experience is the same as Gerry - with the program to remove the Metro interface, it's essentially the same as 7, but faster.

I'm just interested in what other experiences people have had with it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    What about it don't you like? My experience is the same as Gerry - with the program to remove the Metro interface, it's essentially the same as 7, but faster.

I'm just interested in what other experiences people have had with it.

Mike
    My experience with Win8.1 is the same as yours with the start menu replacement program.
    It has become the popular thing to jump on the Win8.1 is horrible bandwagon. The main thing MS did wrong was get rid of the start menu, just about everything else is good. It takes $5 or less to fix that and you are left with a strong stable operating system.

Myk,
    Besides the start menu thing, what exactly is it about Windows 8.1 that makes it a joke?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I like the user interface on 8.1 a whole lot better than 8 simply because you can right click on the start menu to do a lot of stuff. I like to avoid third party add-ons to what I consider core parts of the operating system.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I like to avoid third party add-ons to what I consider core parts of the operating system.
    I really have never understood this way of thinking. This is like saying you won't buy a house because the bathroom cabinets don't have pulls. Please explain, maybe I'm missing something.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

If I add a pull to a cabinet the cabinet doors won't fall off and the cabinet won't become unusable. If I add an add-on to my Windows PC the core system may become unstable and crash more often.

I work on computers all day and too many add-ons can cause instability. I've had to remove stuff fairly often from Windows servers because it causes them to crash.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    If I add a pull to a cabinet the cabinet doors won't fall off and the cabinet won't become unusable.
    Ya never know, it might. Maybe these cabinets have an add-on pull detector built in and that's exactly what would happen.
    Larry J Browning

I tried an add-on for the menu. It was nothing like a real installation of 7. If you need an add-on, why use it in the first place?
    I don't like the "Metro" interface of 8/8.1.. It was made for touch screens, not a keyboard/mouse system.
    I'm done on this topic.

"Start is Back" for $3 is nearly identical to Windows 7, and you never see the Metro pages again.
    Gerry

JointCAM