Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jet Jointer Planer - JJP 12HH

Jet Jointer Planer - JJP 12HH

Does anyone own the Jet Jointer/planer combo? I'm strongly considering this machine for its quick change over. I like have the helical head on both jointer and planer.

Reviews?

I have one and really like it. I like the helical head - rally smooth finish. It is easy to convert. I have a 13" and 20" planer, but use the Jet. It is easier to convert than get to the others and a much smoother finish. It is heavy, especially top heavy - 600 lbs in shipping crate. Be sure to have some help and be sure to get a mobile base.
    Wish I had got it sooner.

I have it. Works well, relatively quiet. Quick changeover. 12" jointing is awesome.

The motor runs a bit hot so I replaced the cover panel with steel mesh. The jointer tables are a bear to set up, but have held their flatness well. I'd like an extra foot or two of jointer tables on each end for longer pieces, but it's OK. Some weird noises occasionally but nothing's failed yet. The euro guard takes a while to get used to.

Good machine, especially if you can get it during the 15% off sale.

15% off sale? Do tell!!!

A couple times a year Jet runs a 15% off sale. Usually spring and fall I believe? I'm not sure the exact timing though. Quite nice for the expensive stuff if you can wait!

Prashun, there was a member here (forgot his name but is making guitars, had a sawstop too) that was very unhappy with his JJP-12 saying the jointer goes out of alignment after several change overs (I can't find the specific threads). I don't have that machine but it might be worth checking if that was an isolated instance or is more common.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    15% off sale? Do tell!!!
    Like this weekend! Actually July 24 & 25th. 15% off Jet & Powermatic. I don't know where in Jersey you're located but there's a Woodcraft in Wilmington,Delaware. I forget - what's the sales tax in Delaware again.

http://mobile.epaperflip.com/?docid=3bdffd2f-cb59-41d5-bfc5-a4db00f4fc75&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1#{%22pag e%22:1}

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Prashun, there was a member here (forgot his name but is making guitars, had a sawstop too) that was very unhappy with his JJP-12 saying the jointer goes out of alignment after several change overs (I can't find the specific threads). I don't have that machine but it might be worth checking if that was an isolated instance or is more common.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...T-the-JJP-12HH

Thanks Peter, it was John Coloccia.
    I remember he had complained about this issue a few times over different threads.

Oooh, thanks for this. I did not consider the ease of alignment. This machine got high marks from FWW for quick switchover.

I'm tempted to step up to the Hammer A3-31...

Oooh, thanks for this. I did not consider the ease of alignment. This machine got high marks from FWW for quick switchover.

I would if I were you.

You're really not far from the Felder showroom in Delaware so it's worth a look.

Just difficut going in there and seeing the AD 741 sitting next to the A3-31...

If you can swing the cost of the A3, then that is definitely the way to go. That's the machine I wanted, just couldn't afford it.
    Earl

It's not so bad anymore, Prashun. I finally got it under control. It's a real PITA, though, when it goes out of alignment. At least, it CAN be a real PITA if you're not really familiar with the unit.

Personally, I would get the Hammer. The Jet isn't a bad unit. It performs well. Now that I finally have a reasonable way to get it aligned, even that is not so terrible. For a little more money, though, you can have a Hammer, so why not?

I would, and did..............Rod.