Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jointer plane wood block

Jointer plane wood block

Okay, strange question.

In the process of restoring a #8 Stanley jointer. I did a search and found nothing about it. What is that wooden block in front of the blade for? Personally, I can't see a reason for it. I'm just curious. The one I'm restoring now, the block is quite beaten up from the previous owner(s). Do I need it?

Thanks in advance!

The only wooden object in front of the blade on a factory-standard No. 8 Stanley plane is the round knob at the very front that you grab with your fingers. Sounds like a previous owner may have added it for some reason lost in history. Pictures might help us offer suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Okay, strange question.

In the process of restoring a #8 Stanley jointer. I did a search and found nothing about it. What is that wooden block in front of the blade for? Personally, I can't see a reason for it. I'm just curious. The one I'm restoring now, the block is quite beaten up from the previous owner(s). Do I need it?

Thanks in advance!
    I am not sure I understand what you describe, the only wood pieces on Stanley bench planes are the tote and knob (handle and front knob). A picture would be very helpful.

Pedro

Blog Entries
    Pictures always help to develop a well reasoned answer.

My best guess is it might have been an attempt prevent something like this when taking super thin shavings:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...p-Mouth-Closed

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

sw jointer 1.jpg

If I can figure out how to load a 2 megabyte file, I would. I had trouble before, so I hardly post pictures.....

Okay, I figured out how to make it smaller. But that's the block in front of the blade. Not the knob. I don't think it's a user installed block, since my other jointer has the same block.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Kyle Iwamoto; 07-22-2015 at 9:31 PM. Reason: add picture

Blog Entries
    I do not think it is factory installed.

It may be something used for a particular need or maybe a specific type of wood that would need a little deflection to avoid coming straight out of the mouth.

Does the wood go through the mouth?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

Does the wood go through the mouth?

jtk
    No, I just sits on the ledge in front of the mouth. Both #8's I have, have those blocks. It's firmly in there, the one I'm refurbishing now looks like the previous owner tried to pry it off, so it has some damage. Hence my original question. And since I got the jointers a few years apart, I don't think it's coincidence someone added the same block. Wonder if it could have been a popular "modification" way back then..... Both the jointers happen to be 8C's. Wonder if that has anything to do with anything...... I did scroll through the biding bay pics of #8s, didn't see any with the block.

Interesting. Thanks for the replies!

Blog Entries
    Maybe a few guys in the same shop or school used them as thumb rests.

Sometimes modifications to a tool became popular in a region or even a single workplace.

jtk

I'm not a Stanley expert,but I have never seen a block like that. To tell the truth,I'd just leave it there as part of the history of the plane. It doesn't look bad,and eventually you might discover what its function does. Maybe it affects the way chips emerge from the throat?

Blog Entries
    My curiosity has me thinking on this. One of the things that has crossed my mind is to make shavings and then steam and form them into the pint containers for holding berries.

I wonder if the block of wood some how prevents the shaving from curling so it can be easily removed made into a container.

Just a thought.

jtk

Is it possible that someone was trying to create a wier in the throat of the plane to cause the shaving to come up higher and not roll up behind the knob. George would know but isn't that the purpose of the wier in wood planes to keep the plane from choking.
    Jim

I was thinking it would be to affect the shaving. What else could it be for(unless there is some sort of damage to the casting that the wood covered up).

Maybe the idea was to keep the chips from falling back down into the mouth & clogging it? That could maybe be a problem if, for some reason, this plane was typically used to flatten green wood.

Maybe.

usually, a shaving will curl right up into a roll. "Moxxon TP" as Herr Schwarz calls it. Maybe the block acts as a ramp to get all them rolls up and out of the mouth area.

It would be helpful to see a photo of the sole of the plane -- does this block extend down (into) the mouth so as to close it down?
    Though a tight mouth is not typically necessary/desirable on a jointer, this is a distinct possibility given the facts to this point.