Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Makers Mark

Frankly,I have wondered how the 18th. C. plane makers managed to make such DEEP intaglio stamps on the front ends of their planes,without breaking the wood into the escapements. I have seen many really deep stampings on those old planes.

It has been suggested that they soaked the front ends of their planes in water first. But,I never saw any evidence of water marking-unless the surfaces were subsequently planed off.

Perhaps the planes were stamped before the escapements were cut? Then,they could have whacked the stamps as hard as they wished to drive them into the wood like that.

Any response to my wanderings?

Derek: perhaps I should tell you the exact font my stamps use? Then you could copy them more accurately.

Derek: perhaps I should tell you the exact font my stamps use? Then you could copy them more accurately.
    George, if you shared this with Chris V, then I may pry it out of him when he comes to stay in 2 weeks time.

Actually, I do intend to build a mitre saw for a MF 115 that I am restoring, and the handle for this saw will be based on your tenon saw handle. I could sign it with your name and no one would be the wiser

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Frankly,I have wondered how the 18th. C. plane makers managed to make such DEEP intaglio stamps on the front ends of their planes,without breaking the wood into the escapements. I have seen many really deep stampings on those old planes.

It has been suggested that they soaked the front ends of their planes in water first. But,I never saw any evidence of water marking-unless the surfaces were subsequently planed off.

Perhaps the planes were stamped before the escapements were cut? Then,they could have whacked the stamps as hard as they wished to drive them into the wood like that.

I just finished watching the Bill Anderson planemaking video and he soaks the toe in denatured alcohol before stamping. Maybe the 18th century guys did something similar.

Don't be ridiculous. They didn't have denatured alcohol in the 18th. C.!!!

Derek,send it here and I'll stamp it for you!! I'm sure your workmanship would be just fine. But,Millers Falls tools always looked rather boring,at least for the most part.
    Last edited by george wilson; 07-23-2015 at 10:19 PM.

Hi George. The stamp was tested on 1.2mm brass over a hardened steel bed. It will be interesting to see if less pressure is required on 1/4" gauge brass back.

Stewie;

Don't be ridiculous. They didn't have denatured alcohol in the 18th. C.!!!

Derek,send it here and I'll stamp it for you!! I'm sure your workmanship would be just fine. But,Millers Falls tools always looked rather boring,at least for the most part.
    Well... they had alcohol!

Blog Entries

George, there is a video of the dai maker Tanaka making plane bodies, and if I recall correctly, he stamped them prior to cutting them.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Probably got the alcohol from Geo. Washington's distillery!! Was that single malt or double malt?
    Last edited by george wilson; 07-24-2015 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    THIS is a Maker's Mark:
    Attachment 317940
    That's what I thought this thread was going to be about. Imagine my disappointment.
    Michael Ray Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ray Smith View Post
    That's what I thought this thread was going to be about. Imagine my disappointment.
    Me too! +10

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Me too! +10
    In the end, neither Scotch nor Bourbon prevail in this centuries-old spirit battle. The real winner is you. And the loser is the cab driver that had to clean up your puke.

George, I don't know how they did it back then. One of those things that is probably lost knowledge at this point.

I have seriously considered getting a cheapo 1 ton press and just pressing the stamp in. Though, I'd have to figure out how to cut the front 4 inches off the base, so I could mount it at the front of a bench and get a long plane under it. Would need some kind of adjustable height fixture, too…this is getting complicated.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Oh, and Stewie, that is a nice looking stamp. Higher quality than the one I got, I think.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Makers Mark in Wood?
    MMark1.jpg

Couldn't resist!

Mike
    Mike Schnorr
    CNCs - Camaster Stinger (25"x36"x5"), Shopbot (4'x4'), Roland Modela (6"x8"x2 3/8")
    Laser Engravers - Epilog Legend (12"x24" - 25W)
    Embroidery Machines - SWF t1501C, Brother BAS-416, Renaissance, Melco EMC1, Melco EP1