Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Makers Mark

Makers Mark

The die to stamp my brass backs arrived. 7 tonne of hydraulic pressure was needed to achieve a clear imprint on both lines of text. Nice craftsmanship from Chalco.

I still need to make a purpose jig before I can use it for my saw making work.

Stewie;

Stewie, I have mentioned this on the Oz forum where you posted, that you appear to have an Owner's Mark rather than a Maker's Mark.

The original thread originated on SMC, which is here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...r-marking-wood

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    That's very nice, and 7 tons is a lot of force. Wow.

Derek, you are wrong. THIS is a Maker's Mark:
    image.jpg

Hello Derek. Read this and you might learn something.

HAND STAMPS

Stamps can be divided into two main types

INTAGLIO Where the letters are cut into the face sunk (as in stamping coins)
    INCUSE Where the face is cut in relief.

Different types of makers marks. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=m...FRYakgodD10CcQ
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 07-23-2015 at 5:55 AM.

I think that you can use any stamp for a sawback. Apology for the confusion - I was thinking of planemaker stamps.

Planemaker stamps according to Chris Schwarz and Mazzaglia Tools:

http://mazzagliatools.com/BlumStamp.html

http://blog.lostartpress.com/2008/02...as-best-i-can/

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek. Not all stamps. The Intaglio Lettering (shown below) is suitable for marking end grain on wood, not a hard metal surface.

You can get beautiful stamps,with ANY type font you desire,made by Buckeye Engraving Co.. That is where I got all my G,Wilson and other stamps made. You actually talk to the owner,who also helps make the stamps.

I prefer letters with serifs myself. Once you get a stamp made,you can order a matching one 10 years later,and they will make a perfectly matching one for you,regardless of the words you want the stamp to produce. We got several stamps made when we made those folding rules. They matched perfectly with the older,original name stamps we got made before.

They will make the stamps at sharp angles for cutting neatly into wood,or more blunt angles(still sharp),for stamping metal. My stamps have lasted many years,and the G.WILSON one most of the time is used to stamp tool steel(annealed,of course,but still harder on stamps).

I know one person(maybe in Australia) had a problem with Buckeye,but I have dealt with them several times with no problem.

Stewie,if you have a hydraulic press,you can use that stamp shown just above for pressing into brass saw backs. I'd certainly do it BEFORE folding them! Tyzack(or someone) used a much larger sunken mark on their saw backs.

I made my 50 ton press with a 50 ton Chinese jack. Built a very heavy steel "cage" to set it in. I am sure I posted pictures here of coining the Dolphin brooch/necklace here.It has been a very useful thing to have.

I have a 100 ton Enerpac jack and a hydraulic hand pump @ 10,000 # pressure,if I ever get round to building a super strong cage to operate it in. But,those things are HEAVY!!
    Last edited by george wilson; 07-23-2015 at 6:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Derek. Not all stamps. The Intaglio Lettering (shown below) is suitable for marking end grain on wood, not a hard metal surface.
    Stewie, yes, that is the case, as it has been for 100s of years. But I choose not to use one like that on my tools and furniture since the force required is scary.

Read the thread I linked to earlier on for the opinion of others.

George, I continue to be very happy with the stamp from Buckeye (whom you pointed me to). I am now getting them to make me one that says "G. Wilson"

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    That's very nice, and 7 tons is a lot of force. Wow.

Derek, you are wrong. THIS is a Maker's Mark:
    image.jpg
    Malcolm, you and I think alike! That's the first thing I though of when I saw the title. Yes, I did grow up in Kentucky, and Makers was always in the liquor cabinet.
    Maurice

Looks good Stewie!

Hey, my ignorance of manufacturing is showing..... But do you stamp the brass back before or after folding it? If after, how do you keep from crimping it flat when using all that pressure? (Purely a curiousity question.)

Regards,
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Hi Fred. If I were using folded backs I would be stamping the metal prior to folding as recommended by George. I am using slotted backs with my backsaws. I plan to stamp the hard back after the slot has been filled by the saw plate.

regards Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 07-23-2015 at 7:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Stewie, yes, that is the case, as it has been for 100s of years. But I choose not to use one like that on my tools and furniture since the force required is scary.

Read the thread I linked to earlier on for the opinion of others.

George, I continue to be very happy with the stamp from Buckeye (whom you pointed me to). I am now getting them to make me one that says "G. Wilson"

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Hi Derek. I can only suggest you do your homework on the subject.

regards Stewie;

Very nice Stewie.
    If you haven't already, you may want to register/buy that domain name for when the time comes to launch your million dollar, world famous tool business!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Very nice Stewie.
    If you haven't already, you may want to register/buy that domain name for when the time comes to launch your million dollar, world famous tool business!
    Hi Phil. Already taken care of. No plans to get too serious with my tool making work. I am enjoying retirement too much.

Stewie;

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Hi Derek. I can only suggest you do your homework on the subject.

regards Stewie;
    Boys, boys...let's not get into any "thunder down under" .........
    Maurice