Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holy Moly

Holy Moly

I apologize in advance if this violates any rules, but has anyone else seen the Union equivalent of a No. 1 plane that's up for sale on that auction site that shall not be named? It's pushing three grand.
    Michael Ray Smith

A fool and his money, never should have gotten together in the first place.
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ray Smith View Post
    I apologize in advance if this violates any rules, but has anyone else seen the Union equivalent of a No. 1 plane that's up for sale on that auction site that shall not be named? It's pushing three grand.
    eBay links are not allowed at SMC but you can post the eBay listing number so others can find it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Wood River #1 only costs $125. Does everything I ask it to do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Wood River #1 only costs $125. Does everything I ask it to do.
    Item #351457509211 (my best guess, maybe Michael Ray can confirm)

The bidding has very little to do with the actual functionality of this plane. It has more to do with the rarity and bragging rights afforded one who owns such a relic.

The Wood River wasn't available when my LN #1 was purchased. If a Stanley #1 was available to me, it would have to be at a price for what the LN could be sold or less. It would also have to be in good enough condition to use. Not a collector grade tool.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Item #351457509211 (my best guess, maybe Michael Ray can confirm)

The bidding has very little to do with the actual functionality of this plane. It has more to do with the rarity and bragging rights afforded one who owns such a relic.

The Wood River wasn't available when my LN #1 was purchased. If a Stanley #1 was available to me, it would have to be at a price for what the LN could be sold or less. It would also have to be in good enough condition to use. Not a collector grade tool.

jtk
    You're absolutely right Jim. Just a poor attempt at a joke on my part.

I sure like the LN. I just couldn't convince myself to drop $225 on a tool I just wanted to try out for fun. When WR came up with theirs for $125, I figured I could goof-away that much money without any guilt. If I ever find myself using it a bunch, I'd probably sell it cheap and buy the LN like you.

Take care!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    eBay links are not allowed at SMC but you can post the eBay listing number so others can find it.
    Ridiculous rule. Every other website allows this...

It's not an onerous rule, & it's not a deal breaker for me.
    Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seale View Post
    Ridiculous rule. Every other website allows this...
    The problem may be due to SMC posts being kept forever. In a few short months the links go dead. It also prevents people from listing something on an auction site and then promoting it here.

I have nothing to do with the rules. There may be reasons that are not listed. I try to live with the rules as we have them.

Picture 10.jpg

I think posting an image is okay. I prefer images posted to SMC even though my control of the image is diminished. Images linked from other sites tend to end up with broken links over time.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm going to bid!

How's the WR #1 Frederick? I don't have a #1. Is is of much use? Dropping $125 for a tool that sees little use for me is not in the cards..... I think they look cool...... I want one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    It's not an onerous rule, & it's not a deal breaker for me.

I'm glad for you. For me, it's the reason that I'm not a paid member.

That's ok, I'm sure someone else's dues will cover the void.
    Maurice

Interestingly enough it looks like it's bid up to $2,800 so far. I guess the other side of the money story is that when you have plenty prices may seem quite different. It seems our perception of money (as most other things) is highly relative….

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    When WR came up with theirs for $125, I figured I could goof-away that much money without any guilt.
    Fred
    That's exactly what I thought when I saw that little guy at my local Woodcraft store. The LN is too much money to drop on a tool just because it's cool, but $125 is beginning to get close to what I'd pay for a No. 1 plane. Haven't done it yet, but you never know. There's always Christmas!
    Michael Ray Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ray Smith View Post
    That's exactly what I thought when I saw that little guy at my local Woodcraft store. The LN is too much money to drop on a tool just because it's cool, but $125 is beginning to get close to what I'd pay for a No. 1 plane. Haven't done it yet, but you never know. There's always Christmas!
    By the way, I actually bid $125 on that Union No. 1 precisely because that's what the Wood River costs. Obviously it didn't take long for my bid to be irrelevant.
    Michael Ray Smith