Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I wish I lived closer to this store.

I wish I lived closer to this store.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/newslett...2/Article2.htm

Of course they probably would ban me from the store because I was drooling on the cabinets...........Rod.

Very cool!

Thst's pretty neat!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Outstanding! Love those cabinets.
    My wife was complaining at lunch yesterday that we haven't taken a real vacation in almost two years now. Hmmmm, maybe a vacation this fal up north is in order. Catch a hockey game in Ottawa and side trip to Almonte.

"I wish I lived closer to this store"

- It would almost be worthing having to be Canadian !

What am I saying? If I were Canadian, I'd have better health coverage....

Cleaner air, too.

Blog Entries
    Hi Rod,

That is really nice. And stocked from Lee Valley stuff. I'm sure it would be a fun and useful store to visit.

PHM

That looks great! Old timey store...spanking new Lee Valley tools, can't imagine a better synthesis of old and new. Glad it's not any closer to me, for the sake of my wallet. It's much easier for me to walk past a summer news flyer without buying anything than an actual store. Thanks for sharing that.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

It looks very nice.

and is sort of in keeping with my overall impression of the company: lots of glitz, all aimed at the older and more affluent hobbyist, not a lot of actual sizzle. I've been in their stores in both Edmonton and Calgary, and both have a lot of Audis and BMWs in their parking lots but not a lot of pickup trucks (and mine, of course , was the only Volvo); and both seemed to have customer mixes that divide fairly well into two main groups: old guys talking about their exploits in high school on the one hand and self-porting scenery buying expensive gifts they don't understand on the other.

I guess I'm a cranky old curmudgeon - a double cream piled higher with something latte just isn't my thing - so when I see a store like this, I'm thinking it looks goreous, but I'd really rather treat it as an exhibit to see instead of as a place to get stuff.

I'm glad I don't live near there, otherwise I'd probably have to arrange direct deposit of my paycheck.

Blog Entries
    Rudy, I find them to be at very reasonable prices, and very good user tools.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 07-24-2015 at 11:06 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy de haas View Post
    It looks very nice.

and is sort of in keeping with my overall impression of the company: lots of glitz, all aimed at the older and more affluent hobbyist, not a lot of actual sizzle. I've been in their stores in both Edmonton and Calgary, and both have a lot of Audis and BMWs in their parking lots but not a lot of pickup trucks (and mine, of course , was the only Volvo); and both seemed to have customer mixes that divide fairly well into two main groups: old guys talking about their exploits in high school on the one hand and self-porting scenery buying expensive gifts they don't understand on the other.

I guess I'm a cranky old curmudgeon - a double cream piled higher with something latte just isn't my thing - so when I see a store like this, I'm thinking it looks goreous, but I'd really rather treat it as an exhibit to see instead of as a place to get stuff.
    LOL. Nice writing
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

It looks very nice.

And those folks can afford Audis and BMWs as they early on learned the lesson that quality is the best use of your money in the long run.

Another point is that there are many people who can't afford a Volvo either.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Rudy, I find them to be at very reasonable prices, and very good user tools.
    I think so too. The hand saws for example. And the planes too.

PHM

I worked for Lee Valley doing some work with inventory software in their main warehouse. Most of the fixtures in the Old School hardware store was stored in the back of the warehouse. I worked around it and looked it over many times. Leonard has also collected everything needed to set up an old-fashioned blacksmith shop but that hasn't happened yet. There were at least 4 - 5 big old sandstone grinders in the warehouse! I applaud the effort to preserve the old fixtures and, at least on one level, attempt to recreate the experience our ancestors enjoyed.
    Best regards,

Ron

You haven't really been lost until you've been lost at Mach 2!

It looks very nice.

In my opinion this is a very severe misjudgment of the Lee Valley company. I do like your style though. Lee Valley for me has been a company that produces hand tools with modern technology that are much better than the older ones. Their shoulder plane is the example I will focus on. For less than the cost of an antique shoulder plane you can by a brand new one from Lee Valley that is an extremely well made tool. I have also been buying the plumb bobs they make just because it is a very well made tool and a work of art. I myself do not drive a pickup truck as I can't afford to spend that much money for gas. Up until last week I had been driving a '98 Chevy Malibu which was a very dependable and very economical car for me, averaged over 20 miles per gallon. Last weekend I inherited my dad's '03 Crown Victoria with the Interceptor package. It will use a lot more fuel but was essentially a free car and only has 90,000 miles on it. Most evenings I walk to the local gas station with my coffee cup and get what they call a cappucino. They charge me for a refill since I have my own cup so it costs $1.24.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)