Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ordering a Robust American Beauty!

Ordering a Robust American Beauty!

My mind is pretty much made up, it's going to be a Robust AB for me. I had some input from Reed and talked with Brent. He put me in touch with a customer in the next town over so, Monday I'll get hands on one to just satisfy any doubts. After that, I'll get in line.

I'm planning on these options:

• Regular Bed
    • 3HP motor
    • Tilt away with assist
    • Lamp Set

I'd be interested in input from other Robust owners on their option choices, if their is anything they would do differently or not...

Thanks Guys.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

2. Quote Originally Posted by James Conrad View Post
    My mind is pretty much made up, it's going to be a Robust AB for me. I had some input from Reed and talked with Brent. He put me in touch with a customer in the next town over so, Monday I'll get hands on one to just satisfy any doubts. After that, I'll get in line.

I'm planning on these options:

• Regular Bed
    • 3HP motor
    • Tilt away with assist
    • Lamp Set

I'd be interested in input from other Robust owners on their option choices, if their is anything they would do differently or not...

Thanks Guys.
    James.....going right to the Rolls Royce of lathes Can't beat that! I turned on a friends, which is a long bed version with a 3 hp motor. That is a fine piece of equipment, and you will love it! Congratulations!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Oh man James, tell us about those doubts after you have had a chance to check it out! I got to look at them up close and talk to Brent in Pittsburgh and that is one sweet ride. Have fun !

James, I don't have the AB, but, I have the Liberty and it is great. My girlfriend got one after she had turned on mine a few times. Brent and Debbie are class acts. You will not regret it. Probably your last lathe.
    Joe

Blog Entries
    James congratulations on your decision i'am sure you will be pleased. I went through the same thing for about three months looking at the Robust web site until I think my iPad would go there by itself and looked at a robust at a fellows home was hard deciding which way to go.
    finally went with the AB 3hp with tilt away and shock assist.
    just received an email from Deb today that it was shipped today don't think it will be here before the weekend but one can hope.

I've had my Robust about six weeks. Long bed 3 hp. I turn pieces around 50 to 60 pounds quite often. It is more stable than my 3520 was. I can turn out of balance prices at higher rpm. The stainless ways are a big plus for wet wood, but the banjo is cast and will require a little lube once in a while. I have two hearing aides and I found the resonance of a steel bed to have a higher pitch. If I am taking heavy cuts I will wear ear plugs. I have thought about sound dreading material in the bed. Don't think I want to fill it with sand. 850 I lbs seems to be heavy enough. I have had trouble with coring large bowls of white oak and cherry. The inverter has kicked out a number of times even though the motor is barely warm. I will call Bret and see if the inverter can be adjusted. All in all it is a beautiful lathe. I would have to write a lot more to tell all the positives. The American Beauty is the top of the line and I would not hesitate to buy it again.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Thanks Guys, I probably won't have any doubts after I see on in person. Congrats Mike on your shipment notice! Brent said they were 12 weeks behind right now.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Quote Originally Posted by James Conrad View Post
    Thanks Guys, I probably won't have any doubts after I see on in person. Congrats Mike on your shipment notice! Brent said they were 12 weeks behind right now.

I was 8 weeks when ordered in April and it seemed like forever. Still not like the Grizzly guys have waited. The Robust interest just keep growing. They have the ability to triple production at the present facility. They may have to with foreign interest also going.

Bob, when you coring are you in low or high speed range. If you are in the high speed range, I would expect it to trip the breaker. In low speed range, it should not. Another possibility could be that you are coring too slow. 500 rpm minimum, unless maybe you are turning a 24 7/8 inch bowl.... Mine is the older 3 speed model, and I keep it in the mid range, and have no problems with it cutting out.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Bob, when you coring are you in low or high speed range. If you are in the high speed range, I would expect it to trip the breaker. In low speed range, it should not. Another possibility could be that you are coring too slow. 500 rpm minimum, unless maybe you are turning a 24 7/8 inch bowl.... Mine is the older 3 speed model, and I keep it in the mid range, and have no problems with it cutting out.

robo hippy
    Reed.
    I am on the lower pulley and follow many of you and Dale's suggestions. I cored previously on a 3520 B. I talked to Bret when I ordered the lathe and he said that the Govenment made Beldor increase the effiency of the three hours motor. It looks more like a five horse. The reason the newer AB only has two pullies is because of the size of the motor. I like the 50-1200 rpm of the lower pulley and only go up on bowls less than 10". I usually am coring at 600 to 700 rpm. I use a spray bottle of WD-40 and spray it into the grove to help lube the cut. I wonder if the newer motor still needs some tweaking to the inverter?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    Reed.
    I am on the lower pulley and follow many of you and Dale's suggestions. I cored previously on a 3520 B. I talked to Bret when I ordered the lathe and he said that the Govenment made Beldor increase the effiency of the three hours motor. It looks more like a five horse. The reason the newer AB only has two pullies is because of the size of the motor. I like the 50-1200 rpm of the lower pulley and only go up on bowls less than 10". I usually am coring at 600 to 700 rpm. I use a spray bottle of WD-40 and spray it into the grove to help lube the cut. I wonder if the newer motor still needs some tweaking to the inverter?
    Just so you know you are not alone, I have experienced the same thing. Brent told me when I picked up the lathe to let the belt slip just a bit when coring. It acts as an audible warning that you are approaching stall. I still intend to call him about it, but as I get more accustomed to the lathe it seems to be less od an issue for me.

TO TENSION THE BELT, I only let the weight of the motor tension the belt, I do not put anny additional pressure on the motor before I tighten the lock screw.

Well, I don't know. I would think it should work. I do know there are all sorts of 'adjustments' that can be made to the phase converter. Call Brent.

robo hippy

I have not experienced the problem either. I have cored well over 150 blanks on mine since I got it, and I have locked it down a time or two or three, but no inverter issues.

I am wondering if it is a problem with the blade binding in the cut. The McNaughton blades ALWAYS drift to the outside of the cut/path you are trying to cut. You end up with a blade that has a tighter curve than the cut it is making, so it binds in the cut unless you open up the kerf. Not a problem if you are only going 3 or 4 inches, but if you are going 6 or more, then it can be a real problem. If the blade is hot coming out of the cut, and has resin/sap burned onto it, or your cores have burn marks on them, then this is the problem. Lubricating the blade won't help it.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I am wondering if it is a problem with the blade binding in the cut. The McNaughton blades ALWAYS drift to the outside of the cut/path you are trying to cut. You end up with a blade that has a tighter curve than the cut it is making, so it binds in the cut unless you open up the kerf. Not a problem if you are only going 3 or 4 inches, but if you are going 6 or more, then it can be a real problem. If the blade is hot coming out of the cut, and has resin/sap burned onto it, or your cores have burn marks on them, then this is the problem. Lubricating the blade won't help it.

robo hippy

It it also seems that the older the blade the easier the core. As the tip becomes smaller and the wood polishes the edges of the blade it seems to work better. The tip on the lage blade is quite large.
    Reed do you grind the tip on the big blades straight across as you do with the smaller? I've sanded the black oxide paint off mine and smoothed the bottom outside corner to relieve some friction points.