Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone seen this yet!

Anyone seen this yet!

Fanning the green flame! LOL I'm not a contractor, but I could see where someone might find this pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB1ZOCFG76s

The cordless TS55 is pretty cool, but this other cordless Festool is even sweeter. Not sure when it will hit the US though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyfysS-z0ds

Apologies for the music.

It is very interesting to me that they're getting that kind of performance out of an 18V battery. When I first say the saw in the video I sort of expected they were doing a 40V, but the specifications page show a 15V and 18V option. They must have an awesome motor in that thing.

I have Ryobi 18V 4000-mAh batteries and a small Ryobi 18V saw and would never be able to cut through three sheets of OSB like that I don't think.

That thing is neat!

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    The cordless TS55 is pretty cool, but this other cordless Festool is even sweeter. Not sure when it will hit the US though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyfysS-z0ds

Apologies for the music.
    Essentially a cordless version of the Mafell KSS 400. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TCOE3IbBAc

Phil I think they are using two batteries.

I have a 2000W Honda generator that is a lot less expensive, and it will run real tools!

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    Phil I think they are using two batteries.
    I didn't notice that, that makes an enormous difference. I expect the batteries are superior to my Ryobi, the motor is likely vastly superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I have a 2000W Honda generator that is a lot less expensive, and it will run real tools!

True dat, brudda.......... The SSS Collective salutes your good judgement.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Mine chokes when trying to start 15A tools. It can't take the startup current. I have the same experience trying to run the air conditioner in my travel trailer. It is quiet but I wish there were an intermediate size between that one and the 3500W unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    ditto. I have a 6000k generator that will power a 3hp bandsaw in a blizzard of required, it's portable, all in still cheaper. I like the portable skill saw, I have an 18v hilti that cuts through anything, great for cuts in the air, demoing scraps on job sites, sheathing on the roof. I can see the green track saw suiting certain situations, probably makes more sense if you are already into a festool tracks saw.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    It is very interesting to me that they're getting that kind of performance out of an 18V battery. When I first say the saw in the video I sort of expected they were doing a 40V, but the specifications page show a 15V and 18V option. They must have an awesome motor in that thing.

I have Ryobi 18V 4000-mAh batteries and a small Ryobi 18V saw and would never be able to cut through three sheets of OSB like that I don't think.

That thing is neat!

Brushless DC motors are very cool. I sure hope they start coming down in price. Also,they're probably using a fairly low speed motor, or low-speed gearing, for higher torque. He's not exactly flying through that cut.

- And they don't say how LONG the batteries last. 18v, but how many amps is it pulling?

Still a great tool, for certain applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post

That thing is neat!
    it looks like Homasote not OSB. Homasote is not dense and very easy to cut.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    it looks like Homasote not OSB. Homasote is not dense and very easy to cut.
    OSB for sure, I've never seen any kind of homasote made of pressed glued wood flakes.(so far)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ewell View Post
    OSB for sure, I've never seen any kind of homasote made of pressed glued wood flakes.(so far)
    Correct. And you can't underlay a roof with Homasote.

Sorry, I just watched it again and saw OSB this time. The video I saw before was a different video. It showed a pile of sheets a foot or more high that was not OSB. I must have got diverted and watched a video further down in the series.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford