Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testing the 0766 - heavy, unbalanced and hard just for the fun of it!

Testing the 0766 - heavy, unbalanced and hard just for the fun of it!

Been wanting to put an un-ruley piece of wood on the new G0766, just to see how well it performed with an unbalanced and heavy piece of wood.

I had a friend drop me off some ash from the 3rd Winchester Battlefield [Civil War] this past Saturday, and they are having to cut a lot of trees, many of them Ash because they want to get ahead of any Emerald Ash borer problems. A win/win as they get some bowls back to support the battlefield foundation, and some of our turners get to turn some historic wood.

This ash is plain hard! The blank started out at around 55-65 lbs, [estimate] and although I sealed it with anchorseal last Saturday, it was left by my driveway and got rained on pretty hard for a couple of days so it had some moisture.

The blank was bigger on one side than the other by a good bit, and I left it in the half log form that it was given to me in, as I just wanted to do it the hard way, having to cut the corners and bark with the gouge and not a bandsaw. and make a natural edge bowl. Began the process with a recess drilled in the face with a 2-1/8" Forstner bit.

G0766 lathe pics 043.jpg G0766 lathe pics 045.jpg G0766 lathe pics 047.jpg This thing made me find the "harmonic sweet spot" as far as rpm's, and my lathe did the rock and roll, until I found it.......not the lathe's fault, but I have fairly week plywood floor on my utility building with not enough joist support, so that was an adventure in and of itself.

Here is part of the roughout - G0766 lathe pics 049.jpg G0766 lathe pics 053.jpg G0766 lathe pics 054.jpg

I would not normally post a roughout like this, but wanted those who might wonder about the lathes capability to see some of that capability in action.

Interesting color variation with the heartwood on this Ash, I think, and I hope to finish this up in the next few days......I currently have it still mounted on the lathe with a plastic bag over it, and want it to oval just a bit, then will turn to final thickness, and put finish on it.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger do you have your lathe bolted down or just on the feet. Nice looking bowl.

Good to see someone testing this lathe with a fair size blank. Nice job Roger. Hope knocking off those corners didn't beat you up too bad
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Hey Roger, I thought the Hurricanes were your go to chucks????? What gives????

Quote Originally Posted by Mike haines View Post
    Roger do you have your lathe bolted down or just on the feet. Nice looking bowl.
    Just sitting on the feet, and my floor has bounce just walking across it. My shop is in a 14x20 utility shed, and the sleepers underneath are only 2x4, 24" apart.........certainly not an ideal foundation for a lathe of any size! The lathe did great, just had to find the sweet spot on the rpm's for the best result, which was about 150 rpm to start, then went up to 270 rpm, then 540, and towards the last was turning at about 750 or so on the rough out. Piece of cake!

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    Hey Roger, I thought the Hurricanes were your go to chucks????? What gives????
    Good question! I put the wrong size forstner bit on my drill press and did not realize it was the 2-1/8 size which will do fine on the Nova chucks, but the Hurricane jaws need the 2-1/2 bit for a recess........oh well, I guess I should not get in such a hurry, but I had other things to do besides turn that bowl this afternoon!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    Good to see someone testing this lathe with a fair size blank. Nice job Roger. Hope knocking off those corners didn't beat you up too bad
    I chose to do it the hard way Bob, just to see what the lathe will do. Of course I had good lighting and could see the shadow pretty good, and was careful with my technique.........the lathe never bogged down!

Good test, Roger. You did it the hard way for sure!

Looks to be a fine NE bowl Roger. Interesting wood too. Plus you managed without using the word "banjo" once! Way to go...
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    Looks to be a fine NE bowl Roger. Interesting wood too. Plus you managed without using the word "banjo" once! Way to go...

too funny
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    Well, David......I sure am glad 'cause I am one of those who would hate for you to kill yourself over something like the word b _ _ _ _! [not guitar or mandalin or fiddle ] I would miss all the amphora forms, sweet finials and pedestals with beads in them and that famous DeCristoforo wit that you bring to the turning family!

Glad you like the bowl.

Good size bowl, too bad there are already a half dozen splits in the one side, sat too long without proper sealing I suppose, maybe use some CA now to keep them from opening up Roger
    Have fun and take care

13. Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    Good size bowl, too bad there are already a half dozen splits in the one side, sat too long without proper sealing I suppose, maybe use some CA now to keep them from opening up Roger
    Those cracks already have CA glue poured into them Leo.....3 applications,once before turning, once during and once after the pics were taken. Also on the cambium layer underneath the bark.

From my understanding, the trees have been cut for a little over a month before our guys got permission to get the wood, and they were just all stacked in large piles.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 07-24-2015 at 6:39 AM.

Being totally new to wood turning (except some fun in high school), I have a bunch of questions. What was the initial swing of that piece of wood (roughly)?

It looks like you've got a lot of after market accessories. What is that chuck on the headstock? I was just watching a video last night from RoboHippy on how to mount the wood, and it looks like one of his. Also, what are you using on the tailstock? It does not look like the center that comes with the lathe. Finally, what is that curved tool rest you have?

The large number of accessories is quite daunting. I can see how people dedicate themselves to just wood turning. I'm not sure what I will need, but chisels are at the top of my list. Also, some means to sharpen them.

Thanks for all of the info you provide. It is very helpful.

That was amazing and quite a test for the lathe. I would be very nervous to take on a piece like that but you handled it well.