Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Testing the 0766 - heavy, unbalanced and hard just for the fun of it!

Remember, in a moments time, everything can change! Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

With several people getting bigger lathes for the first time and following threads that you start I believe you are providing questionable if not outright unsafe example here Roger. I think you have posted this, as a learning opportunity so here is my 2 cents.

The way you have it mounted the bark could break and send the blank flying. For safeties sake, please remove the bark where the tailstock spur or headstock drive is going to be!

I once tried to twice turn a NE bowl and it blew up (after it went oval a bit). I have been more successful turning to the thickness I want the first time and not going back. I think doing otherwise is asking for trouble on a NE bowl.

A couple more observations.

How do you adjust the grain balance or edge heights when you drill a recess to rough out the bowl? I don’t think you can. While there is no safety issue it certainly limits your options in turning a NE bowl.

Weren’t those cracks visible before you started turning? In my opinion it would be much better to cut off the cracked part and make a smaller bowl than trying to repair the cracks latter. But then, I’m not a fan of CA at all.

You did a nice job of keeping the bark on the bowl! I really like the grain of the wood and am looking forward to seeing it finished. What size is it?
    Last edited by Jim Seyfried; 07-24-2015 at 1:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    Nice its gonna be purty with finish. On the lathe, slide a piece of plywood under it ,then attach it to the wall with rubber bushings . You might need guy wires for the shop if you pursue this course .

Klaus, that is a Oneway live center.......I have had it for over a year, and could have easily used the live center that came with the lathe. As far a the swing of the piece of wood......well, it would not clear the banjo, so I had to position the banjo away from those corners, and adjust the tool rest accordingly, so my guess is at least 19+ inches. That is a SuperNova2 chuck with spigot jaw set.....they have a heavy cross section.

The turning gouges are a must.....no turning without them and a sharpening system. I recommend a slow speed 8" grinder and the Oneway Wolverine sharpening system......you will get the fastest and most repeatable grinds that way, and is pretty much standard as far as sharpening.

Jim, your comment about removing the bark where the live center goes to the bark is a good one........the bark on this piece of ash was tight, and I had a good hold. Pics do not always tell the whole story, but your suggestion certainly has a lot of merit to it.

As far as the edge heights........I wanted the pronounced difference in the heights of the ends from one another.......I wanted to highlight that feature of this bowl, more than I wanted balance.

The whole piece was selected for the test of the lathes ability to handle the load and imbalance, and believe me, being somewhat experienced, I did not just throw something on the lathe and go full bore.......I stopped frequently and checked everything, like the hold, how the cut was going and filled cracks as they were revealed, after already putting CA glue in the cracks that were visible before ever turning the lathe on. I also slowly moved up in rpm's as it was warranted.

Perhaps I did not explain all that I did, and my reasons very well in the original post, but safety is first, and I knew I could do this safely!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 07-24-2015 at 11:12 AM. Reason: addional
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

As a contrast - after making many smaller pieces this year, I read this post and stuck an uneven, wet piece of wood on my Delta Midi. 11" at the most extreme point. I had done some band-sawing, but stopped before it was completely trimmed. I had to spend a lot of time at the slowest speed to know off corners. After a good amount of time I could speed it up and finish a bowl.

So the thought of trying that with a 19" log…
    …yes I want a big lathe some day. Thanks for trying it out!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

That's gonna be a great bowl, Roger, looks like the heartwood is centered nicely and like NE bowls with varying heights. Heck of a test and glad you're enjoying that bad boy!

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Martin View Post
    That's gonna be a great bowl, Roger, looks like the heartwood is centered nicely and like NE bowls with varying heights. Heck of a test and glad you're enjoying that bad boy!
    I am enjoying it Roland. Very smooth and powerful, and I just need more time to turn!

Nice Roger! Love natural edge bowls. Looks like that is going to be quite nice with some finish on it!
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    That was amazing and quite a test for the lathe. I would be very nervous to take on a piece like that but you handled it well.
    Thanks Larry.....sorry I must have missed your post earlier, or I would have responded to your comment. Appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Dok Yager View Post
    Nice Roger! Love natural edge bowls. Looks like that is going to be quite nice with some finish on it!
    I have a busy couple of days coming up, but hope to finish this up early next week, turn it thinner and finish off the bottom. Not sure what finish I am going to use on it at this time. I am out of danish oil, but have some Wipe on poly on hand, but would prefer a more penetrative finish on it. Might have to visit the hardware store for some natural danish oil.

Nice work Roger. I threw some fresh silver maple on the 0766 last night. It should make a nice 18"+ roughed. Tonight I want to get in there and use the Woodcut Max on a few pieces.

My lathe is in a garage with about 400lbs on the shelf, not bolted down. Heavy chunk of wood, as this is a fresh cut tree in summer here, and I was able to get 400+ rpms with no wobble, and the piece was the complete opposite of what one would call "balanced". A very wet experience, but fun making shavings. As round became possible, more rpms were achieved. For the outside, from blank to roughed, I did between centers, just to prove it's possible. Actually prefer it now......much easier.
    Last edited by Jeramie Johnson; 07-27-2015 at 2:50 PM.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Jeramie Johnson View Post
    Nice work Roger. I threw some fresh silver maple on the 0766 last night. It should make a nice 18"+ roughed. Tonight I want to get in there and use the Woodcut Max on a few pieces.

My lathe is in a garage with about 400lbs on the shelf, not bolted down. Heavy chunk of wood, as this is a fresh cut tree in summer here, and I was able to get 400+ rpms with no wobble, and the piece was the complete opposite of what one would call "balanced". A very wet experience, but fun making shavings. As round became possible, more rpms were achieved. For the outside, from blank to roughed, I did between centers, just to prove it's possible. Actually prefer it now......much easier.
    Sounds interesting, Jeramie......hope you will post the finished piece when you can.