Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First router

First router

Looking for a first router, needs to be able to handle big and small jobs. Help

Dewalt DW618B3
    PorterCable 693LRPK
    Bosch MRC23EVSK

I don't think you could go wrong with any of these. What is your favorite color?

Doug

What is "big", and what is "small"?

I do like Mike's choices and would add the DeWalt 621. It's nice.
    The Festool's are very nice, but $$$$.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

More info needed OP. What do you plan to do with it?

I've found my Bosch 1617 to be a very versatile router.

Routers are like Pringles potato chips, you can't have just one. Buy a router and learn from it what you need.
    Joe

Not really sure yet, I need one that can do variety of things because it will be the only one I'll have for a while.

If you don't want to spend Festool money, I would go with Bosch or Milwaukee as Dewalt and PC are not what they once were anymore.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    I have to agree with Frank on this one, the DeWalt just feels a bit sloppy in the plunge base.
    As for versatility you might want to consider a router with a plunge and a fixed base (I personally like Milwaukee). To keep it manageable I suggest start with a mid size router and buy that 3 1/2 hp monster later .

I have a DEWALT DW618PK and it is an excellent router. I have never had any issues with it and have never found it to have any slop in the fixed or plunge base. Honestly I don't use it as much as I use my PC 690's. I find 2hp routers less agile than smaller routers. My 690's are very easy to handle with 1 hand where the Dewalt 618 really needs 2 hands. My Bosch is also an excellent router. I would put my Bosch on the same level as my PC's and Dewalt. My favorite routers are my ancient Stanley routers. They are very lite and versatile with more accessories than modern routers have. Most of my router jobs simply don't need an excess of power. Round over and small profile bits don't need that much umph for excellent results.

Personally I don't believe there is such a beast as a one do everything router. Every router is a compromise in some fashion. You don't want to spin big bits in small sub 2hp routers. 3+ hp routers are a dream for big bits but a nightmare for small handheld jobs! The 2hp routers will take somewhat large bits without being too bulky for hand held work... but my 2hp routers are my least used routers.

I can't recommend a Milwaukee router because I have never used one. I love my many Milwaukee drills and would have no qualms about owning a Milwaukee router. I have just never had one fall in my lap at a cheap enough price like I have my other routers.

If your favorite colors are red and blue flip a coin and choose one. It is really hard to buy a bad router from any of the name brands... Porter Cable, Dewalt, Bosch and I assume Milwaukee. Research which ever model you choose for recurring problems. Every manufacture has made far less than perfect models as well as excellent models. I even have an excellent old Craftsman router as well as a a Craftsman complete TURD... (It actually routes about as well as an actual turd).

I occasionally use a plunge base, but not very often. If you need to make a plunge cut for a project you really have to have a plunge base though. All of the routers I listed above are kits with plunge and fixed bases. For handheld work a fixed base usually works much better for me. In the 1.5 hp range I REALLY prefer the D handle bases over the dual knob fixed bases. I don't have a D handle base for my larger routers, I don't know if a D handle base would be as controllable on a heavy router because there is so much weight so far from the grip?
    Last edited by Mike Schuch; 07-24-2015 at 1:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lankers View Post
    I have to agree with Frank on this one, the DeWalt just feels a bit sloppy in the plunge base.
    As for versatility you might want to consider a router with a plunge and a fixed base (I personally like Milwaukee). To keep it manageable I suggest start with a mid size router and buy that 3 1/2 hp monster later .
    John

The 621 very smooth in regards to the plunge mechanism. It actually feels too light and springy. It is working properly though. It is just very smooth. If I didn't already own six routers, three of them Festool's, I'd buy a DeWalt 621. One of my PC burned out last year, so I may have a DeWalt in my future.

The Festool, OF 2200, is a big, powerful, router, but you would be stunned at how well it handles. Very nice.
    If the OP wants to "go all in", that is the router, but I think I would recommend starting out a little lower in the price point until he really knows what he wants to do. I could recommend the Festool OF 1400. It's a nice size.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

The Porter Cable 690 is the Ford F150 - the Remington 870 shotgun - and the Big Mac of the router world.....

Sooner or later, just about everyone needs/wants/uses a PC 690 so, you might as well start off with one.

I do have to admit though that since I picked up a the DeWalt 611 PK fixed and plunge combo, I don't use my PC 690 that much anymore.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I would like to try some of the PC routers for my next router purchase. I did buy a Craftsman 2 hp router combo a while back with a fixed and plunge base that I have been happy with. I understand some folks have less than stellar experience with Craftsman. Maybe I got lucky, or I don't know what I am missing, or maybe Craftsman isn't always a bad choice.

There are a lot of good routers out there and I guess unless you have tried them all it is hard to say which is best.

I started out with a Bosch 1617 EVS kit and it has really done a great job for me, I did have a little problem with the switch but that was all. I now have 2 1617 and have used them for just about everything, I had one in the table for a long time and did some raised panels doors with it. I got a deal on a PC 7518 and put it in the table. I use the Bosch now for all types of hand application.

I also have a Dewalt 611pk which I really like for small work, inlays, round overs and the like.

You can get a reconditioned kit from CPO for $164 and one of my routers came from them, have had NO problems with it.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Mike & Mike, by any means I'm not badmouthing the DeWalt router in general, I own the 618 with all 3 bases but it is the plunge base that should have been machined a bit more precisely, maybe it's the single spring post that's causing it - I don't know. When I use the router with the plunge base and edge guide I get a slight deflection, just enough to be able to feel it and that irks me.
    My little Milwaukee 5015 (could be wrong on the model number) is more rigid in the plunge base, having said that I wouldn't mind trying the DeWalt 611 it's just the right size to handle 80% of my handheld routing.
    I own a Freud 2000, Bosch Colt, C T Maximum, Milwaukee 1 3/4 hp and Milwaukee 3 1/2 hp which lives and probably will die in the router table - I like that the Milwaukees are no screamers.
    Hmm, I just realize that's not even close to Norm's collection, I better go shopping (just kidding).

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Cohick View Post
    I would like to try some of the PC routers for my next router purchase. I did buy a Craftsman 2 hp router combo a while back with a fixed and plunge base that I have been happy with. I understand some folks have less than stellar experience with Craftsman. Maybe I got lucky, or I don't know what I am missing, or maybe Craftsman isn't always a bad choice.
    I buy my routers used... very cheap... and do any repairs needed myself. If I were paying retail for routers I would select a reputable brand and stick with it. The collets, guides, fences and other accessories interchange between my Porter Cable 690's and Porter Cable 7538's. It is fun to try different brands and models of routers but it is more economical to stay with a single brand when you consider all the router accessories.

I would bet no one would be able to tell if you finished your project with your Craftsman router or a Festool for several times the price!

When it comes down to it all routers just spin router bits. The manufactures add this bell and that whistle to try to distinguish themselves from other brands but there really isn't that much difference between routers of the same size from different manufactures. I have routers that are more than a half century apart in age and there is very little difference between them.

I still use my Grand Father's Stanley 8A router and it is one of my favorites because of its size and accessories. The 8A's were kind of the precursors to all the mini laminate routers and only a bit bulkier. I have no doubt my Grand Children will be able to use my Porter Cable routers. If I bought Festool routers instead it would probably be my great grand children using them but that is my children's problem to worry about. One nice thing about PC routers is they have been around forever, they can be easily repaired as parts are readily available and used accessories are cheap.

I should really stop espousing the virtues of old Stanley routers because I am just driving the prices up and shooting my self in the foot! I just can't pass a good deal on a great old Stanley router! Or a PC 690!
    Last edited by Mike Schuch; 07-25-2015 at 12:06 AM.