Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the wood turning forum and wood turning

New to the wood turning forum and wood turning

Hello everybody I'm new here and to wood turning although I have been a cabinetmaker for over 35 years.
    In may I bought a HF Central Machines 33" Lathe to give it a try; Here are some photos of what i've been up to
    the last one I just finished to day a 16.5" x 7.5" Walnut vase.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I didn't know you could only post 8 photos here are the rest.

3. Welcome to SMC, Bruce! My, you have been busy on that HF lathe! Your work looks way more advanced than a beginner, so you must have a pretty good knack for this turning game. Nice segmenting ,as well as some nice vases, etc.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Beautiful work, Bruce! Welcome to the forum. You're kidding about just starting in May, right? Of 2010?

I bought the lathe the first week of may; prior to that I turned one bowl in 8th grade; but I've been building cabinets for 35 years plus many other things.

Bruce

I think I'll go burn down my shop now. Would you like a bigger lathe, Bruce?
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Herzberg View Post
    I think I'll go burn down my shop now. Would you like a bigger lathe, Bruce?

Good one Doug! Indeed your turnings are way more than beginner. Nice work Bruce.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

Guys all I did was watch a few Youtube vids and bought a PSI 2000 chuck, expanding face plate, live & drive centers and a basic set PSI Chisels
    I made a segment bowl press and a steady rest.

Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce Jones; 07-23-2015 at 10:48 PM.

Obviously your 35 years as a cabinet maker has given you a solid base to start with , your beginner status has been revoked sir. Nice body of work so far , keep up the good work.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

Please go away--you are embaressing a lot of old, experienced expert turners to death. WOW.

Very, very nice. Just goes to show the lathe is not the most important equation when it comes to turning pieces of art, it's the person holding the chisel. An $8000.00 lathe doesn't instantly make you an accomplished turner.
    I started on a lathe just like yours and still have it. It has been a great lathe and I still use it from time to time. The main reason I purchased my new lathe was for turning larger diameter bowls etc.
    Thanks for sharing your work!!

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    Very, very nice. Just goes to show the lathe is not the most important equation when it comes to turning pieces of art, it's the person holding the chisel. An $8000.00 lathe doesn't instantly make you an accomplished turner.
    I started on a lathe just like yours and still have it. It has been a great lathe and I still use it from time to time. The main reason I purchased my new lathe was for turning larger diameter bowls etc.
    Thanks for sharing your work!!
    Honestly guys it was not my intention to embarrass anyone: I was looking for tips and tricks and finishing ideas.
    There's one piece of equipment I'm having a hard time finding; this lathe doesn't have a hand wheel, I saw on you tube that the JET machine has the same thread for there model that this is a copy of. I'm trying to find where to buy one of these hand wheels and modify it so the knock out rod will work
    Any thoughts on this?

And I want to say thank you to EVERYONE for the BIG welcome, it was way more than I expected.

Bruce

My Handle is Splinterz25 on most forums.

Jack Of All Master Of None

Very nice work Bruce. I hope I can pick up turning as quick as you have. I just need to find the time to get something done! Welcome to the forum.

Red
    RED

Thank you Red, Daryl and everyone; Today I'm turning in pommele Sapele an Octagonal Box I'll post photos later on today.
    Bruce

My Handle is Splinterz25 on most forums.

Jack Of All Master Of None

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Jones View Post
    Honestly guys it was not my intention to embarrass anyone: I was looking for tips and tricks and finishing ideas.
    Welcome Bruce! You are just getting a little ribbing there. The work you are doing is beyond beginner so you are starting at a great level. Besides this forum, which is an excellent resource, you might want to look for a local turning club. Turners tend to be very friendly and generous, and there are many opportunities to learn new things. Search your area here: http://www.woodturner.org/?page=Chapters

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!
    Doug