Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to the wood turning forum and wood turning

I also have to wave the flag and give up to the "beginner". I quit.

Very nice work. WOW indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    I also have to wave the flag and give up to the "beginner". I quit.

Very nice work. WOW indeed.
    Guess I'm in this group also.......Nice work Bruce.

Well thank you guys; Well today I turned an octagonal Pommele Sapele Stash Box 9" x 4" this was a first for me.

I hope you guys like it,

Bruce
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Handle is Splinterz25 on most forums.

Jack Of All Master Of None

Awesome job on all your work! I particularly love the octagon bowl. How does one make an octagon on the lathe. You have access to gorgeous wood species too. Absolutely beautiful pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki Hayden View Post
    Awesome job on all your work! I particularly love the octagon bowl. How does one make an octagon on the lathe. You have access to gorgeous wood species too. Absolutely beautiful pieces.
    Thank you Vicki I cut and sand the Octagon shape first then mount it to the lathe; In this case it was two pieces 2.5 thick, matched and sanded together marking one flat sections so it goes back the same way once turned.

Bruce

I have to agree with everyone about how fast you appear to have progressed. Some very nice work.
    One thing that you might want to research for your segmented turnings though, is using large cross-grain joints and making the bottom with the pie-shaped pieces. These are both recipes for disaster if the wood moves even a tiny bit.

Just goes to show you it's not the lathe.

Thank you Robert and Lee; I truly did buy the lathe the first week of may and it's just an HF lathe then I bought PSI 2000 chuck, expanding face plate,live & drive centers, bowl & rest set and there basic set of (8) chisels; and I free hand grind them on a HF 5" bench grinder.
    I have a very basic shop 13" Ridget planer, Riobi 10' table saw, drill press and disc / belt sander and 10" chop saw.
    Several electric hand sanders, routers, drills etc, and good old fashion hand tools.

I've been building cabinets for over 35 years but that's not all I've built Lots of custom things like this Canoe
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ar-Strip-Canoe

Bruce

10.5" Sapele square bowl w/ feet & lid

I stayed up late and started a new bowl this time I wanted to try one I saw on the web; You start w/ a square block
    8" sq x 2.5" thick and cut out the bowl leaving the corners for legs it's 10.5 corner to corner.
    I'll show some of my basic tools I use to do this; my HF 5" grinder and some of the tooling I bought from PSI.
    The main shape of the bowl is finished but I'll do some work to it off the lathe; more on that later, Next I'll turn the top / lid for the bowl from another piece of Sapele about 7.25" sq.

Bruce
    Attached Images Attached Images

As they say " it's not the size of the tool but the skill of the craftsman". Nice work and welcome to the Creek.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Great work! I'd say you missed your calling for at least 35 years. I've been trying to turn for almost two years now and still struggle with beads/coves.

Mike

Bruce, Welcome to the Creek!

Always great to see someone totally thrilled with the turning game! Thanks for showing us some of your work - very impressive considering how long you have been turning! Highly recommend starting new threads when posting your work. Hard to make comments on individual pieces when they get hidden in long threads.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Great work! I'd say you missed your calling for at least 35 years. I've been trying to turn for almost two years now and still struggle with beads/coves.

Mike
    Thank you Mike; I don't know how I'm able to just look at something and reproduce it or look at drawings and just make it, the best think I can tell you is don't over think the process just go with the flow of the piece and just keep trying every chance you get.

Good luck I hope to see your turnings posted here,

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Jones View Post
    Thank you Mike; I don't know how I'm able to just look at something and reproduce it or look at drawings and just make it, the best think I can tell you is don't over think the process just go with the flow of the piece and just keep trying every chance you get.

Good luck I hope to see your turnings posted here,

Bruce
    I wish you could explain how you got to this level so quick. I haven't even gotten to the point of worrying too much about the design and flow of the work piece. I've had to practice technique for quite a bit of time on scrap pieces and still need more. Even sharpening tools the correct way, putting the rest at the correct height, way to approach the tool to the piece, which tool to use, speed etc. seems to be a never ending process for me. I know from my work I'm getting better but wow I jealous you got from A to Z in such a short time.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    I wish you could explain how you got to this level so quick. I haven't even gotten to the point of worrying too much about the design and flow of the work piece. I've had to practice technique for quite a bit of time on scrap pieces and still need more. Even sharpening tools the correct way, putting the rest at the correct height, way to approach the tool to the piece, which tool to use, speed etc. seems to be a never ending process for me. I know from my work I'm getting better but wow I jealous you got from A to Z in such a short time.

Mike
    Mike when I started in May I went on You Tube and watched guys turning saw what they were using how they were holding the tools and what tools they were using for each situation; then adapted to fit me the PROS use the Swept back Bowl gouge for a lot of there applications; I don't in fact i don't have a gouge w/ the swept back grind on it, I use it the way it came.
    Grinding the tools is a no brainer for me I've been hand sharping drill bits, planer, hand chisels, scrapers, knifes etc for 35 plus years.
    The grind doesn't have to be perfect every time just sharp, If you ever turn Teak You had better be able to sharpen your tools, it dulls them very fast but cuts great w/ a sharp tool.
    The best advice I can give you is don't be afraid to make mistakes try different tools; in one video I guy said if the tool works for you use it, I do a lot of my work w/ scrapers just remove the large amounts w/ the gouge then try the scrapers a different speeds.
    I do most of my work SLOW except when cutting air you have to go faster.

Mike I'm turning a bowl right now taking step by step PHOTOS as best I can to show those of you who want to see how I do things; look for step by step Walnut bowl in a day or so maybe tonight?

Good luck and feel free to ask me any questions you may have this is what these threads are for.

Bruce