Thread: Delta 20" Bandsaw Tire Replacement

Delta 20" Bandsaw Tire Replacement

So I kick my bandsaw on this morning to do a quick little cut and the thing creates a really nasty kaboom as the blade jumps to the side and the whole upper guard comes crashing down. I shut it off and take a look and the entire bottom tire is now folded up and stuffed into the upper guard Bummer…..so I do a quick search online and find that the tires are still available…..for only $171 each I'm figuring if I replace one might as well do both, but that's a lot of coin for a couple tires, especially when normal tires run something like $30 or $40.

I figure I'd check in here and see if anyone has alternate sources, ideas, or a really nice Italian 20" bandsaw they don't need Now for those who aren't familiar the Delta 20" saws have a grooved wheel. The tires are pre-crowned and have a tongue that first into the wheel groove. So can't easily just throw plain old rubber tires on there.

thanks,
    Jeff

Try woodworkerstoolworks.com. They might be able to help.

Bob

I replaced my tires about ten years ago and they were maybe half the price. Still thought that was price gouging. They are also a bear to get on and still need crowning if you want it right. Today I might look at modifying the wheels to use something else. Woodworkers Tool Works was an excellent suggestion.

Let us know what you end up doing.
    Larry

Give Iturra Design (904-642-2802) a call, they've got the tires, and they were $78 a piece, but that was in 2010. Louis might also be able to offer other suggestions for cheaper replacements.

I had a good experience with Sulphur Grove Tool. Looks like they have "economy" tires for $90 a pair if need be.

Jeff,
    I have a Grizzly 24" resaw, and the wheels sound the same as mine. 2" wide with a groove about 3/16" square cut in outside of wheel (measurements would be metric of course).
    Grizzly replacement tires were $100 each. I purchased my tires from Sulphur Grove Tool. As stated above, they were right at $90 including shipping. Have been running for a few weeks now without issues.
    I did have to adjust the guides alot as these tires aren't nearly as thick as the old ones. They do work fine, so far. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Burk View Post
    Try woodworkerstoolworks.com. They might be able to help.

Bob
    Another vote for Woodworkers Toolworks. Ask for Bobby. He will set you up with what you need. Here is a video on the process, but with a 14" Powermatic 143.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz04k-GMF38

I bought the Sulphur tools economy tires off ebay. I am not a bandsaw genius but I would not buy them again. Each wheel gets a tire and a groove insert, I have had trouble getting the blade to track properly and have destroyed several blades over the last 3 years. I am going to buy sulphur tools premium tires which has a groove insert that intregal with the tire and the tire has a nice crown where as the economy has no crown. These premium tires just became available in the last year or so. Though more expensive I hope to save by not destroying blades.

OK I made a couple calls this morning without much luck, but Sulphur Grove Tools did have the premium Urethane tires in stock so I'm going to give them a try. Also I don't know if they changed the description after coming out with the premium version, but the economy tires do not sound like a good option at all. Personally I would not have bought them after reading that description, but I use my bandsaw a LOT, so I would have spent the $350 or so for the OEM tires if I really had to.

Anyway I'll do am update once I get the tires and install them to let everyone know how they work out.

thanks,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ramsey View Post
    Nope, I spoke with them as well and they don't have them. They were actually the first place I called.

Jeff

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    I think you can use regular tires but have to glue them on and crown them. I have the same saw and am not looking forward to replacing the tires.

To mount them

I replaced mine about 4 years ago and they were about $70 each. Get the tire started and them grab the bottom in your woodworking vise. The vise holds the bottom of the tire on the wheel while you coax the top. It went easily in my case.

Tires showed up today and took about an hour to replace the tires on both wheels….(would have gone a bit quicker if I had a darned snap ring plier!). I found pulling the wheels off the saw and installing on the bench to be the best option for me. They went on fairly easily….kinda like installing a bike tire, they don't need glue and are pre-crowned….so on and done! I got the saw all re-tuned, (tires are slightly thicker so guide adjustments needed to be reset), and gave her a quick test run and she seems good to go. I won't pass any judgments yet but will have some re-sawing to do next week where she'll get a good workout. All I can say for now is it was a LOT easier than I had envisioned, and if they work well I think this system of grooved wheel/tongued tire has merit!

JeffD