Thread: A couple of 4H Projects

A couple of 4H Projects

My wife and I are fans of 4H. We appreciate the "learning by doing" motto, the structure and support it provides to help us teach our children life skills that we want them to develop, as well as the valuable experience of having to meet deadlines and have your projects evaluated by an objective judge. My 12 year old's project was this Gun Rack, and my 14 year old completed the book shelf. They both learned a ton. The Gun Rack is waltnut, and the bookshelf is solid cherry with ship lapped floating back. The lumber was all locally sourced.

gunrack.jpgbookcase3.JPGbookcase2.JPGbookcase.JPG

Kid's ???? did this?? What a nice job they did!
    I imagine they'll start saving for tools of their own soon.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Well done, Dad. These are grat, and show a lot of attention to detail. Even more impressive in that they are 12 and 14. I assume they've been working in the shop with you for some time.

Good looking work for folks that age. Please encourage them to continue with gifts of tools and instructions/classes.
    Heck, this is good looking work for folks at any age, me included.

Good for you and the kids Joe! Back in the mid 70's, I was a 4-H club professional working for the Alabama Cooperative Extension Service. We had both junior and senior woodworking events and they were both well attended but none of the projects were as nice as the stuff your sons are doing. It is important for young folks to learn by doing but it is much more important for them to have a Dad who will spend time together with them.

I've judged 4H woodworking projects at the local county fair for the past several years. If EITHER of these projects had shown up at the competition, they'd have taken Class Champion and both would have gone on to the state fair. That's not saying we don't get good projects. We do and the ones that we send to the state fair deserve it. But these are a step above. Great jobs and beautiful work.
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!

Thanks David. The Gun Rack was awarded grand champion for his grade and selected to represent his class at the state fair. The bookshelf was reserve grand champion for his grade. A 14 year old girl won champion and was selected to go to the state fair with a very nice cherry book case that was flawless. At this stage, the boys do this because I don't give them much of a choice. I have a 28 year old son who now regrets that I allowed him to quit woodworking after his first project. So armed with his regret, I insist that the younger brothers stick with it. I have dreams of giving each a modestly stocked hand tool cabinet once they graduate high school or college. If in adult hood they don't pursue the craft, at least it won't be from lack of exposure.