Thread: A "new" bench vise for my shop??

Cool A "new" bench vise for my shop??

One of my favourite sale words ( besides FREE) is BARN. As in Barn Sale!

So, for about $6, I brought home five "treasures".
    IMAG0203.jpgA bowl/spindle gouge, a handle, not quite sure, and a chisel in need of a handle. These four were a quarter a piece. Which left a five dollar bill to pay for the large item
    IMAG0205.jpg
    Name on it is: Mr. Arthur J. D'Leary & Sons, of Chicago ILL, USA. The screw is almost new, as it shines up nicely. Works very smoothly, too

Not too sure about this end of it..
    IMAG0204.jpg
    Looks like I will need some room to be made in the shop. $5 vise???

Super duper! That should qualify for a YOU SUCK! Way to go!

Leg vises of the blacksmith variety - which is what you've got - are designed to rest on something on the floor and be strapped to the bench. In your case, it looks like you've got a nice plate to bolt to the bench. If your shop's got a suitable floor (concrete or wood, for instance, as opposed to dirt), I'd think about finding a size of black or galvanized pipe into which the foot will go, but no larger than it must be, then thread a nipple that size into a pipe flange, and screw the pipe flange to the floor (in concrete, use machine screws in lead anchors rather than the more brittle Tapcon screws). If it's a wood floor, see if you can figure out how to put a thick steel plate under the foot so it doesn't drive into the floor.

The jaws in those are often wrought iron, not tempered steel, so that hot metal could be put in them and bent or otherwise worked.

At that price, your find approaches theft, but I won't tell.

I thought the leg vise I picked up at a garage sale for 20 bucks was a steal, but you top that with down right thievery. Great finds.

Going to try and clean it up a bit, and see what I have....

That yellow handled chisel needs a new handle, plastic one has split.

The wide, chisel-like thing has a double beveled edge, almost like an axe. "Handle" end is a formed up one, by rolling the two sides up into a handle. Handle sits at an angle to the blade, too

The handle like thing with the backwards ferrel? There is a bolt inside holding the ferrel in place.

The 1/2" wide gouge looks to be for a lathe. Maybe a new handle? or scrounge up a ferrel and use the old one?

Gave the vise a spritz of WD40. The screw is clean as can be. It seems to have been well cared for. There is a three bolt hole bracket to attach this to a benchtop. Dungeon Shop's floor is concrete...

IF I were to strip off the rust and crud, down to clean metal....what colour Rustoleum would go on this vise? Black? Or, a Green? I doubt if it was just bare metal. Mounting Bracket does have the company's names cast into it.
    Up in front, where the handle resides, there is a collar of sorts sticking out, loose. Is it supposed to be back inside?

We'll see what happens when it gets a good clean up...

Not sure yet on the handle thingy. bell shaped metal end has a rubber gasket in it, with a hole for a screw.

Small chisel is about 3/8" wide or so. Didn't see any markings

Gouge is a Greenlee 1/2" outchanel(sp) gouge. handle has a square hole for the tang. handle is also cracked right there. needed a ferrel as well

Under the bracket to bolt the vise to a bench...V-8 36 is cast into it.

They are always just bare metal.

Vise is now listed on the auction site. @ $75. Decided it was just too huge for my shop. Not enough room for it and me down there. Brushed off the crud as best as I could, and called it good-enuff. Maybe a modern Blacksmith can use it...

The gouge is a turning gouge. With limited exceptions, if you find a tang chisel/gouge/thingy with no shoulder to prevent the tool from being driven into the handle if you pound on/push the handle, it's probably a turning tool.