Thread: kobalt air compressor

kobalt air compressor

Has anybody had any experience with the kobalt line of compressors, I am looking at the 20 gal oilless with the digital regulator. Good,bad? I have been using a Harbor freight special and it has been good for about 3 years now but I think I am getting blow by and the oil plug is popping out from the crankcase getting pressurised.
    Thanks
    larry

Larry, I don't have experience with that particular line of compressors, but if your current compressor is oil filled and you buy and oilless, you'll find it much louder.

I'd recommend checking out Ingersoll-Rand. I have a 60 gallon from them and I'm very happy with it. They make smaller units as well. You'll pay more, but it should last a lot longer too. Tractor Supply Co. stocks several models from them.

Larry, the wrong type oil and/or overfilling can lead to a pressurized crankcase - might want to rule out those two items before springing for a new unit.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

I think the Kobalt compressors are rebadged Campell Hausfield. My personal CH compressor is nice, but others here have had problems with the brand. It's either a roll the dice thing or I'm doomed .

I agree with Steve about taking a look at yours before giving up on it. If all else fails, you might just want to pull the head off and make sure everything is tight. Sometimes things (especially the valves) vibrate themselves loose. What the heck, you're just getting rid of it anyway.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser
    Larry, ..............., but if your current compressor is oil filled and you buy and oilless, you'll find it much louder.

Larry, don't know good or bad about the Kobalts, but listen to Matt about the oil-less. My first compressor was oil-less, was so loud you couldn't stand being in the same building -- ended up selling it and replacing with oil filled. MUCH quieter!!
    Tony

Larry,

I agree with Matt and Tony. Last spring I switched from a professional grade twin stack oilless compressor to a much larger oil lubed compressor mostly because of the noise. Even wearing ear plugs and ear muffs the oilless would drive me out of my two car garage shop after a while.

Hope this helps.

Lloyd Morris

thanks for all the replies, I think I will take a look at the IR's and make my decision, probably will not go with the kobalt. I plan on rebuilding my old one and passing it on to my dad. He wants one just for occasional use.
    Thanks again
    Larry

Go with a 2 stage if you can afford it. They do more pressure with less effort and last longer. I have a IR Type 30 5 hp and I have two take offs, one is off the high side at 150 to 180 psi and one is regulated 90 to 100 psi fo air tools etc. A big one will cost you less in the end as it will last forever and not have to be replaced.

CPeter

The problem with an oiless compressor is that many parts are made with teflon and other slickery surfaces so it runs without oil. As mentioned, they are load. They also perform below oilers and dont last nearly as long.

A two stage will have an intercooler that can get rather warm. You also want to find a compressor that runs as slow as you can possibly get. High speed pumps wear out fast.... low speed pumps last forever.

Lastly, if you can put the coin into a compressor, you should also try to find one that has pressure lubrication. The one on the market today which comes to mind is the quincy pressure lube. Others made them but most of these companies are out of business, bought out, merged, etc.

And unless your breathing the air, there is no reason to use an oilless compressor other than some of the newer units are pretty cheap and somewhat disposable.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Great info guys thanks I really appriciate it and will take it in while I am making my decision,

Larry