Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question on models and puzzles

Question on models and puzzles

I have a question on 2 topics one being models and the other being puzzels

Like to know if there is a program that for instance i want to make a model of some thing ( i looked on YouTube not see any thing ) say a model air plan. How does my laser know the size and shape of each piece of the air plan.

Second question Same as above but as a puzzle say i want to have a puzzle of a dog for instance. How would my laser engraver know which size and shape each piece is.

Is there a program for this. I am using Engravelab 9 laser engraver is a Bosslaser. Bosslaser.

Thanks in advance
    STILL A NEWBY LEARNING MY WAY
    Junior Hall
    Boss laser
    engravelab 9v

Your laser uses a vector file to tell it the size and shape of something. Typically one color designates cut and another engrave. Not sure how that translates to the Chinese software but read the boss laser help files, and engravelab help files and that should get you started.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Thanks Keith Winters thanks so much
    Junior Hall
    Boss laser
    engravelab 9v

Junior when you design your plane or puzzle in corel when you select that it will tell you what size it is. When you send it to the laser it will automatically know what size and cut it correctly. If you ungroup your design then clic on each individual piece corel will tell you the size of each piece. Is this what you wanted to know ?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thanks Bert Kemp So now i need Corel Draw for this GRRRRRRRRRR more software needed as i was told Engravelab would do every thing so now i need more dern but thanks Bert Kemp thanks
    Junior Hall
    Boss laser
    engravelab 9v

Junior

Your engravelab should do everything you need. Don't buy Corel until you actually determine that you must have it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks Mike Null

I was and have been re reading the manual and have not found where it says about making puzzles or how they are figured into the cutting of each shape and size. Also have not found yet where in the manual for the models of each piece and shape.

The engravelab manual is over whelming with all kinds of things that the software can do. I am reading one thing then it jumps to some thing else that you can do with the software then back to what it was previous reading about first. This is at times so confusing and at times so frustrating with the jumping around
    Junior Hall
    Boss laser
    engravelab 9v

Junior,

Do a quick google search for engravelab training.. I found a couple of youtube videos and such.. Might be worth your time..
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

1) Google "puzzle vector art"

2) Download the one you want to use.

3) Import the one you download into engravelab.

4) Send to laser.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Mike Troncalli

Ive watched just about every Youtube video there is and Ive learned some things i didn't know about engravelab

Scott Shepherd Thanks so much i thought i would have to buy a program for that but thanks ill check it out thanks once again boss

This is why i was inquiring into the puzzles as i thought this was very beautiful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne0XgAL6XF4

Never seen any thing like it as i thought it was unique
    Last edited by Junior hall; 07-25-2015 at 2:14 PM.
    Junior Hall
    Boss laser
    engravelab 9v

Junior
    One of the strengths of Engravlab is it's conversion from bitmap to vector feature. You should have no problem with puzzle patterns.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Junior I do both of what you are asking and it is not real simple as you are being told. Yes you can down load a vector file and cut it that is true if you want the exact same thing everyone else is doing. You also could get a good puzzle book of old puzzles and make your own designs. Regarding models you can go to some website and buy premade patterns that are mostly the same as the ones that you can buy from at Micheal's or Harbor freight for 1.00 a kit that are imported from China, they work great. The other option is design your own and yes for that you need Corel draw or some other good vector software there is one free one out there don't remember the name of it. The other question I have is how powerful of a laser do you have? Good luck Just and FYI it take 50+ hours to design most models along with instructions for the models we make. Good Luck
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Thanks Craig Matheny I think i will probably stay away from the puzzle mess It looks nice but like you said it is not real simple. I might just stick to what Ive been doing and that's engraving wood mirrors drinking glasses and regular glasses
    Junior Hall
    Boss laser
    engravelab 9v

Junior there's several puzzle generators that will make a puzzle any shape and size you want. One right here on SMC
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Junior.
    Just google MakeCNC. They have plans for puzzles and models at very reasonable prices. Even just cutting some of their files will give you some idea of what is involved in designing some of your own.
    Hilton Lister. NZ
    GCC Spirit 60w. Meistergram 912, Gravograph IT, Old Roland Vinyl Cutter, Hand engraving, Retired