Thread: Hi to everyone

Hi to everyone

Hi to all

Just wanted to greet all, I have been reading this forum for 2 weeks now and there is a wealth of information and knowledge coming from its members/contibutors/admins etc.

I have registered in the past week and I am glad I did.

I wish to purchase a laser in a few months time, will be going the "china" route and will keep myself updated (on the subject and various other laser related things in this forum ) in the meantime

Just a curious question, I thought about purchasing a CNC router (woodworking) before but never did. I have looked at a lot of members info and have noticed that most of them own (at least a laser and a CNC). Now if I can make a safe assumption....I would assume that these two machines somehow compliment each other or BOTH is required for a specific process/job?

What are you guys doing with the CNC routers,I wanted to craft designs into the wood -( arts and craft) but decided against it at the time since those machines are quite costly and too much money to spend on a "hobby".

Happy lasering to you all!!

Regards
    Marius

Welcome to SawMill Creek Marius.

IMO a Laser Engraver and a CNC Router compliment each other better than any other machines I have ever seen. Large carved jobs with beautifully detailed laser engraved inlays are just one of the options that make for incredible projects. Both machines are amazing by themselves but the combination can increase your options a thousand times.

I would suggest that you purchase a CNC Router first and then the laser engraver. My experience has been that my router has been more profittable and it will help you earn the money to purchase a better laser engraver than you would consider otherwise.

Thank you Keith, for the welcome and advice, I would look into both options as I will (can) only purchase in December/January so I do have time to make a educated decision/choice.

Unfortunetaly, I have to go Chinese due to the strong dollar.....I cannot afford to pay almost half a million RAND for a decent well- made USA manufactured machine....heck even some of the Americans on this site can't even afford those hefty prices.

So basically my mind is made up about where I am buying from...it would just be from whom and where etc...

But I do really appreciate your advice and any input.

Hi Marius,

When you are ready, I have a resource for a company in China to import either or both machines. The direct import, I discovered allowed me to buy 'more' for the same cost as eBay, and a ton less that USA machines. If I was to go professional and build a real business I would spend the 5 to ? K for the US machine.
    As is, I turn ink pens and use the laser to engrave names, etcetera into/on the pen.
    My machine cost me about $800 dollars and shipping about the same. (I know shipping is expensive, BUT if one thinks that 'shipping is free, or < than $600 on eBay, not so. They add some of the shipping into the cost; or are actually the manufacturer using a shell. This is China were dealing with.)

All of that said, I did months of research between eBay, and Alibaba. I communicated with 20 different Chinese companies regarding the machines that were comparable in specs, and $. The company I chose was based on responsiveness and the representative's ability to 'get' English and respond congruently to my questions or comments.

You can see the name of the company in my signature, if you wish to know more PM me and I will give you my reps name and contact information. I will also offer some tips and information that will make importing less troublesome.

Roy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Roy Sanders
    Knot to Pen Custom Turned Pens

Platte City, Missouri. USA

CorelDraw x 6
    CorelLaser
    LaserDrw
    Nice-Cut NC-4040 Tabletop Laser 40W

12" Craftsman Table Saw
    12" Craftsman Band Saw
    Craftsman Scroll Saws
    DeWalt Thickness Planer
    !0" Wood Lathe
    Vacuum Chamber
    Pressure Pot

That would be great Roy I will keep it in mind thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Welcome to SawMill Creek Marius.

IMO a Laser Engraver and a CNC Router compliment each other better than any other machines I have ever seen. Large carved jobs with beautifully detailed laser engraved inlays are just one of the options that make for incredible projects. Both machines are amazing by themselves but the combination can increase your options a thousand times.

I would suggest that you purchase a CNC Router first and then the laser engraver. My experience has been that my router has been more profittable and it will help you earn the money to purchase a better laser engraver than you would consider otherwise.
    As you might have noticed you will get as many opinions as there are members here.. I couldn't agree with Keith more on what he said EXCEPT the router being more profitable.. In my case it was 100% opposite.. (Sorry Keith). Do a google search for CNC engraved wood and laser engraved wood images. You will immediatly see the difference in what each machine excels at. Like many here I started with a CNC which really helped me when I moved into a laser. Generally both will require the use of a graphics (drawing) program. That is one of the biggest hurdles to get over (learning how to draw). Good luck, engraving weather CNC or Laser is a lot of fun...
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Troncalli View Post
    As you might have noticed you will get as many opinions as there are members here.. I couldn't agree with Keith more on what he said EXCEPT the router being more profitable.. In my case it was 100% opposite.. (Sorry Keith). Do a google search for CNC engraved wood and laser engraved wood images. You will immediatly see the difference in what each machine excels at. Like many here I started with a CNC which really helped me when I moved into a laser. Generally both will require the use of a graphics (drawing) program. That is one of the biggest hurdles to get over (learning how to draw). Good luck, engraving weather CNC or Laser is a lot of fun...
    Thanks Mike

I tend to lean more to the laser's side as well