Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage tools, you never know where...

Vintage tools, you never know where...

I was going through Reagan TX yesterday and noticed a antique store had opened up. The store is the only store in Reagan which has a population of less than 200, and maybe less than 100. I did my usuall quick tour since I don't need more antiques, looking for tools (which I also need no more of). I was about to jokingly go tell the lady running the place she needed more man stuff when around a corner, behind a trunk and with 3 other item on top of it, I find this
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mark kosse; 07-25-2015 at 4:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark kosse View Post
    I was going through Reagan TX yesterday and notice a antique store had opened up. The store is the only store in Reagan which has a population of less than 200, and maybe less than 100. I did my usuall quick tour since I don't need more antiques, looking for tools (which I also need no more of). I was about to jokingly go tell the lady running the place she needed more man stuff when around a corner, behind a trunk and with 3 other item on top of it, I find this
    i sort of collect older USA made Porter Cable machines, especially in the steel cases. In sanders I have the 362vs in a case but my 352vs didn't have one. I'm going to have to build a new display cabinet soon.

anyone need a 352 without a steel case?

Nice condition you fund a good one!

Mark - What's the punch line? You bought it? For how much????????
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

That's a good belt sander, but if it's vintage, then I am too.

I thought it was a porter cable Saw Boss,That would have been the find of a lifetime.

perhaps you'd care to define vintage to me then.

perhaps you'd care to define vintage to me then.
    Agreed, looks pretty contemporary to me.

It's all relative ,a phone that old would have a cord on it. I would guess 15 to 20 years old. And I like those sanders.

well, I'd say 20-32 years old. it's post 1983 when the porter cable name was put back into use instead of the rockwell int name. To my knowledge they (pc/bd) stopped production of the steel box in the mid 90's and it could have been earlier. I had a 362 that i bought in the early 90's and it had a plastic box, and that was an option. Even then, if it was made in 2005 it would still be of that vintage.

the purpose of the post was to show a nice machine with a case that is in hard to find condition, no matter when it was made. These steel cases are usually scratched, rusted, paint splattered or poorly repainted. they're even worse in the rural humid eastern half of texas. I'm guessing a lot of you all frequent owwm to much.

By all means it is a nice score.

Blog Entries
    well, I'd say 20-32 years old. it's post 1983 when the porter cable name was put back into use instead of the rockwell int name. To my knowledge they (pc/bd) stopped production of the steel box in the mid 90's and it could have been earlier. I had a 362 that i bought in the early 90's and it had a plastic box, and that was an option. Even then, if it was made in 2005 it would still be of that vintage.

the purpose of the post was to show a nice machine with a case that is in hard to find condition, no matter when it was made. These steel cases are usually scratched, rusted, paint splattered or poorly repainted. they're even worse in the rural humid eastern half of texas. I'm guessing a lot of you all frequent owwm to much.
    Reagan Texas is not in East Texas. That's why it didn't rust.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Reagan Texas is not in East Texas. That's why it didn't rust.
    but it is in the eastern half of texas, as I stated. it could actually be said it is in the eastern third of texas. look at a map. i live 9 miles ne of reagan and have for 34 years. please don't try to tell me things don't rust here. i battle it constantly in the shop.

Blog Entries
    I didn't mean to offend. I made the post in good humor. I was not suggesting tools don't rust where you live.

Its just East Texas resonates to me as being roughly 25 miles from the Louisiana border. I don't live in East Texas but,tools really do rust in Galveston county.

Actually, in my mind, anything East of Liberty is East Texas. But, the Big Thicket really is deep in East Texas.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 07-28-2015 at 9:51 AM.

Did they even have electricity in 1983?