Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asking again about the Grizzly G)632 Lathe

Asking again about the Grizzly G)632 Lathe

I am still toying with purchasing this lathe. The last time I asked, all I got was the question "Why don't you by the 766. It's only a few hundred more?" Well, that few hundred is a lot for me at this time and there is also a space issue. I have to admit that I am also very nervous about it based on the long threads here about the issues with the banjo and shipping. So I think I am sticking with the thought of buying the 632 however I would like to hear from anyone who has one and what their experience is like.

I asked the same question at the Woodturners Resouce Forum and to by a Jet or Nova DVR. I really would like to but they are out of my price range. With that, Isn't the 632 basically the Jet 1642 without a lot of the bells and whistles?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-02-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Jeff, have you run a search for "Grizzly G0632 and Jet 1642" in the SMC search bar? Quite a few threads over the last few years that should help with your question. I believe both are currently made in the same factory in Shandong, China by the Burt Group, with the exception of the inverters (VFDs), which are by Delta Electronics and manufactured in Taiwan. I think both use the Delta VFD-S series inverter, which is very reliable (also used on the PM 3520B), though an older Delta design. The G0766 that you mention uses Delta's newer VFD-M series, as does the G0733.

BTW, I'm curious what bells and whistles you are thinking of when comparing those lathes, as I had not heard that there is much difference between them.

Grizzly Junk

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Walters View Post
    I am still toying with purchasing this lathe. The last time I asked, all I got was the question "Why don't you by the 766. It's only a few hundred more?" Well, that few hundred is a lot for me at this time and there is also a space issue. I have to admit that I am also very nervous about it based on the long threads here about the issues with the banjo and shipping. So I think I am sticking with the thought of buying the 632 however I would like to hear from anyone who has one and what their experience is like.

I asked the same question at the Woodturners Resouce Forum and basically was told Grizzly was junk and to by a Jet or Nova DVR. I really would like to but they are out of my price range. With that, Isn't the 632 basically the Jet 1642 without a lot of the bells and whistles?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Jeff,

I can't respond concerning the 632 but anyone describing Grizzly machinery as junk is just showing their bias. In the old days and probably still now the Grizzly and Jet were cast at the same foundry and finished at the same plants. I suspect they are at least cast in the same plant now. The differences were in the finish of the Jet and the trim work, nicer looking panels and controls. Some slightly different controls sometimes too. Indeed bells and whistles. The nicer finish which most people equate to higher quality castings was and probably still is accomplished with common low strength body putty, commonly known as bondo. A large piece of it cracked off of the headstock of my Jet. Does nothing for anything but appearance.

Grizzly doesn't have dealers, Jet does. That is a big chunk of the final price right there, one more middleman. I have seen many small and medium sized Grizzly machines used in machine shops where they see more use in a year than a home machine is likely to see in twenty. They hold up well in that environment, hardly junk. I have ran them in a friend's machine shop many times myself, eight or ten hours with a brief pause for lunch.

I have read of some issues with saws I believe it was and every brand can send out a lemon sometimes. However, I don't believe that Grizzly is any more or less likely to than other people using The Burt Group to build their machines. I bought my Jet used at a nice price. Otherwise I had every intention of buying a Grizzly then. I liked the ones I have ran, granted all metal lathes and milling machines.

A big difference long ago was that Jet had excellent customer service and Grizzly was horrible. Grizzly has stepped up to the plate in recent years and that is a nonissue.

My dollars are stretched very thin these days too and I'm glad Grizzly is building a machine the size I need. I'm ordering a wood lathe from them next week.

Hu

That Grizzly is a clone of the Jet, but not an exact clone. The bed shape is subtly different with the jet casting having a slight belly in the middle. More important is the fact that the Grizzly head swivels, and that can require care in realigning when the head is moved.

A careful examination of the Burt Group's line-up makes me doubt that they are providing the Jet/Powermatic machines. The castings are not identical. If Burt Group does make the Jet/Powermatic machines, the 'clones' are intentionally different castings to prevent lawsuits.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

5. As far as size, the G0632 is a 16" swing with 42 inches between centers.....it has been a reliable workhorse for several years, and I know a couple of turners who have it and are happy. The new G0766 is 22" swing, but still the same length between centers, which is 42 inches. Some difference in the footprint, about 5 inches or so, but vertically, it is a taller lathe. If you do not turn large items, then the G0632 will serve you well.......they do have a step up in the 18" x 47" G0733 with most of the same features as the 0766. The difference is a 3 hp motor on the 0766 vs a 2 hp motor on the 0733 and a hand wheel.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger.....I have also had some of the guys at woodturners resourse say the tool post is not a standard size so you cannot use any after market rest. Do you know if this is the case or not. Presentlt all my rest hace 1" post.

Jeff

Roger.....I have also had some of the guys at woodturners resourse say the tool post is not a standard size so you cannot use any after market rest. Do you know if this is the case or not. Presentlt all my rest hace 1" post.

Jeff
    Standard Grizzly banjos have a 25mm hole.. so, not quite an inch-- thus your 1" aftermarket rests will not work out of the box. However, if you have a drill press (or a steady hand), it's simple as can be to drill out the extra 0.4mm to make the banjo hole an inch in diameter. Anyways, if that's your only hang up at the moment, I wouldn't let it stop you, it's pretty minor. Also, after drilling out the 25mm hole to accept 1" rests, the original 25mm rests will still work without an issue. It's what I did on my 766, worked like a charm.

8. +1 on what Matt posted. I just took a 1" twist drill bit and opened that hole up just a bit, and now all my 1" posts will fit just fine.........use a little oil on the bit, to lubricate the cut. I did the same thing on my former lathe the G0698 with a hand drill and the same 1" twist bit.

That's a simple enough thing to handle. I have an industrual supply by me where i can get the drill. What about the tool rest. Does it go down further that the 766?
    Jeff

Regarding the 25mm hole in the Banjo......I didn't have a 1" drill bit and the tight wad that I am didn't want to spend $30+ for one. My fix was to turn an oak dowel just a bit shy of 25mm, cut a slit in the end of it and wrapped 150 grit sandpaper around it and chucked it into my 1/2" hand drill. When I got close to 1" I switched to progressively finer grits. Resulted in a mirror smooth hole that my 1" post tool rests slip right into. Only took less than an hour.

That's a simple enough thing to handle. I have an industrual supply by me where i can get the drill. What about the tool rest. Does it go down further that the 766?
    Jeff
    The banjo is cast iron, so you don't need an expensive bit. You can buy an 8-piece set of Asian-made Silver & Deming HSS bits with turned down shanks at Harbor Freight for what you'll likely pay for one high-quality 1" bit at an industrial supply. Then you'll have additional sizes for odd jobs. In any case, be sure to clamp the banjo before you drill to avoid chatter. Five minute job.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Walters View Post
    Jeff
    I am not sure about that question, Jeff, but with all the units in service, I have never seen a post from any owner stating that it was too high.

There appears to be someone in my area selling a Delta 16-460 with less than 40 hours on it. What are your thoughts on this lathe. I have heard the parts are very difficult to get fron Delta but nit sure about the. It looks primo un the puctures.

Jeff

14. Delta was bought and sold 3 times, but on the last time the new owners did not have the parts inventory and the parts specification included in the deal............now they are having to go back and try to do a secondary purchase, and it is in ths million of $$$ [this according to what a vendor told me his sales rep told him about the situation]

What parts they do have is slim pickins' I would not do it personally. I have a 46-460 that has done well so far, but knowing the situation with parts, I don't think I would do it again......just me.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 07-26-2015 at 2:26 PM.

Well, I have gotten such good info here that i think i am going to call Grizzly and if they can answer some other questions for me, then I'll probably pull the trigger on the GO632. I have been searching my area for a used Jet but it seems that once someone gets one they never let go.