Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Queensland Maple.

Queensland Maple.

The handle wood is Queensland Maple after 6 coats of shellac, that still needs to be buffed to a higher shine.

Although named Queensland Maple, this wood is not a true maple (Acer genus), but is instead contained in the Rutaceae family, which also contains many genera and species in the citrus family. http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-...ensland-maple/

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 07-26-2015 at 2:51 AM.

Beautiful work again,Stewie. You have come such a long way.

The wood is beautiful, and once again, it just looks like it's going to feel good in hand.

Stewie, did you use blonde shellac on that?

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Hi Fred. I used Garnet Dewaxed Shellac. The actual color is slightly darker than that seen by the camera.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 07-26-2015 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Beautiful work again,Stewie. You have come such a long way.
    Thanks George.

Beautiful wood and beautiful work. Thanks for the pics.

Is QM a tough wood? How suited is it for a saw handle?

Stan

PS: The "do" and beard combination you have going is very fetching!
    Last edited by Stanley Covington; 07-26-2015 at 11:15 AM.

Hi Stan. QM is a moderately hard wood. If it was not suitable for saw handles I wouldnt be using it.

regards Stewie;

Love it. Beautiful wood and craftsmanship.

Thanks Phil.

5 tonne of hydraulic pressure to imprint the makers stamp onto the hardback. No distortion of the hardback which is great news.

At this early stage I have placed the stamp location at the forward 1/3 distance of exposed brass back. Feedback is welcome if you feel that should be changed to a more central location.

Saw plate assembly seated within the handle. The numeral pencil marks on the saw bolts will be removed at the end of the saw build.

The next step will be to file the saw teeth. 12 tpi; 10* rake; 0 fleam .

regards Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 07-27-2015 at 12:46 AM.

The stamp came out noticably better (more clear?) on the actual sawback than it was in the earlier pictures.

FWIW, my eye prefers the symmetry of having the stamp centered along the sawback. But there's nothing "wrong" with it at 1/3 - doing so could become a trait associated with your "brand".

That's a handsome piece of work all around. Can't wait to hear how she cuts!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

It looks great. I might try it closer to the handle...aligned with the block of wood/holder. In other words, a third on the handle side. I would need to use it to be sure. I can PM my address when it's finished.

Great looking handle. I vote for the stamp to be in the center of the back. To me it looks "odd" towards the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    The stamp came out noticably better (more clear?) on the actual sawback than it was in the earlier pictures.

FWIW, my eye prefers the symmetry of having the stamp centered along the sawback. But there's nothing "wrong" with it at 1/3 - doing so could become a trait associated with your "brand".

That's a handsome piece of work all around. Can't wait to hear how she cuts!
    Fred
    Hi Fred. Apreciate your thoughts. I also like the stamp in its current position but understand others will have a different opinion.

regards Stewie;

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    It looks great. I might try it closer to the handle...aligned with the block of wood/holder. In other words, a third on the handle side. I would need to use it to be sure. I can PM my address when it's finished.
    Thank you for your thoughts Phil.

regards Stewie;