Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garage sale finds, what is it?

Garage sale finds, what is it?

I went to a garage sale over the weekend and got a stanley bailey no 7 for 2$ also a saw and a few other tools, I already have a no 7 I bought a few weeks ago but this one seems better built, can someone tell me what the difference between the 2 is? I know the 1 I had previously has a cracked handle. I got a stanley square? for 2$ and the rest of this stuff along with some screws and drywall tools came to a total of 10$ including the plane and square.

the saw, the marking guage? and the other tool I'm not sure what it is, can anyone tell me what it is used for? and what a rough value would be for the less no 7 and these 3 tools. thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

more pics, lengthened to 10 characters

more pics, lengthened to 10 characters #2

these show the 2 no 7's I have side by side, the newer one I bought (may be older) seems heavier built, thicker sidewall etc. is there any reason to have both? I am a power tool user, I just think hand planes are cool, especially for certain uses where they are better then the power tool version.

Great acquisitions! Clearly, you deserve the YOU SUCK award: $10 for that batch. WOW!

The only reasonable answer I have about the two #7s, is that they are different types, e.g., 16 VS 18.

I look forward to hear those far more knowledgeable speak...

yeah i almost felt bad, but i still had to borrow 3$ from my wife, lol. she had nothing priced and said 2$ for the plane i almost cpuldnt believe it

The saw looks like the very desirable Disston #12. The value depends upon the condition cleaned up. These usually have a very light maker's etch on the blade,so be careful to not scrub it off.

Yours has an unusual wood in the handle. They are usually apple wood. Yours looks like some kind of mahogany. Actually looks more like Spanish cedar,but that would be very soft and an unlikely choice.
    Last edited by george wilson; 07-26-2015 at 9:46 AM.

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Quote Originally Posted by Archie England View Post
    Great acquisitions! Clearly, you deserve the YOU SUCK award: $10 for that batch. WOW!
    x 2 on the YOU SUCK!

The saw looks like a pretty fine D-12 to me, nice marking gauge and square - I will leave the plane summary and the drawknife to others - -

Well done -

Dave B

on the saw what is a price range to expect? should i try cleaning it up or leave it to the seller?

any price recommendation on draw knife and gauge?

Definitely a Disston No.12. Impossible to assign a value based on a picture. Need to know if the plate is straight, how deep the rust pitting is, the condition of the etch and nib and teeth. It has been a while since I bought any No.12's (I own 9 or 10), so values may have increased, but if it was perfect and mirror bright, it would fetch $350 to start, and could go much higher depending on the year of manufacture. On the other end of the scale, if the plate is bent, oil-canning, pitted garbage, but the handle and nuts are in the shape shown in the picture, it might be worth $50.

Back in the day, the No.12 cost several times the sales price of the more workmanlike, but excellent, D-8. The steel used to make the No.12 was the same steel used for all Disston saws, and no, despite what the etch suggests, it is not made from British or London spring steel, but from American steel, which did not have the world-wide reputation of the British material despite being arguably superior. In fact, Henry Disston began the first mass-production of steel in the New World, specifically to supply his saw works.

Henry made the best Western-style handsaws in the world for many years, and the No.12 was the very top of his line. There are records of British hardware and tool stores not being able to keep Henry's products in stock, the demand was so high in Old Blighty.

The difference between the No.12 and the D-8 (besides the skewback shape that became the trademark of the D-8 in later decades) is the fancier handle, extra time spent grinding the plate thinner, and higher polish. As I understand it, the target market for the D-8 was the journeyman carpenter or woodworker who would take his saw to the jobsite where it would see harder service, while the No.12 was a prestigious item targeted towards the better-paid professional cabinetmaker or woodworker who wanted the very best, and kept his tools in a shop out of the weather. So you can imagine that a lot more D-8's were sold than No.12's.

The performance of No.12 in good condition with a professional-quality sharpening, and a set suited to the material being cut, is discernibly superior to lesser saws, IMO.

I apologize to the fans of Simmons, Atkins, Keen-Cutter, Bishop (I love Bishop saws), et al, for they are all fine saws too, but Henry led the way and others tried to keep up.

Stan

you can see the stamp on the blade, is there any safe ways of cleaning it enough to give people a better idea of its worth? I don't want to damage it.. seems straight. thanks for your detailed post, it is very informative.

where would be the best place to try to sell this saw to someone who would appreciate it?

2015-07-26 11.48.31.jpg2015-07-26 11.48.33.jpg2015-07-26 11.48.36.jpg2015-07-26 12.11.04.jpg
    Last edited by cody michael; 07-26-2015 at 12:25 PM.

Well, it's straight (the D12). As to value, yikes, I dunno for its current state (maybe $75-125, given the pitting [imo]); but otherwise when shined up and polished, maybe $150 or more.

Good looking drawknife, though not in pristine condition. Value as is, maybe $25-35. Since I'm unaware of that maker, I would not expect it go for a premium of over $50.

Drats, I was hoping someone would comment on the casting differences of the two #7s.
    Last edited by Archie England; 07-26-2015 at 6:06 PM.

Blog Entries
    Drats, I was hoping someone would comment on the casting differences of the two #7s.
    Not much to say, both have rings around the base of the knob, 1929 and later. One has the rib cast at the toe and the heel, started in 1933, one doesn't.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

the saw is spoken for, if anyone has any interest in the no 7 plane (i will be keeping nicer one) the draw knife or marking guage let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Not much to say, both have rings around the base of the knob, 1929 and later. One has the rib cast at the toe and the heel, started in 1933, one doesn't.

jtk
    is the "rib" cast at the front and back where it is slighlty thicker? that would be the newer one then correct? as users is there any known difference any reason to keep one over the other?

Clean them both up and see which one you like using more?

To my knowledge there is no noticeable difference between the "Types" as far as using them goes. If you do some research you'll find that the differences are usually cosmetic.