Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biesemeyer U50 Extension Table is BOWED. How to straighten it?

Biesemeyer U50 Extension Table is BOWED. How to straighten it?

I purchased a Delta Unisaw back in 2006 and only now am assembling it (don't ask ). No warranty coverage at this late date, and have run into a few problems.
    For the record, the Delta 'Customer Service' rep with whom I spoke seemed glad to be
    in a position to deny me assistance. Any Delta tools I buy in the future will be
    painted GREEN and bear the name 'Grizzly'.

CURRENT PROBLEM: The saw package includes a Biesemeyer U50 extension table that is 44" long. It is BOWED along its length, exhibiting a 1/4" dome.

The front (only) rail of the Delta UNIFENCE is extruded aluminum. It has two channels (like T-slots) that accept bolts set in the front edge of the saw's cast-iron top and Biesemeyer extension table. Of course, the fence rail is straight and it's bolt channels are straight - and the rail must maintain a uniform relationship to the table surface. But the bowed/domed extension table makes this impossible.

The diagram below shows the extension table's construction: 3/4" sheet material with a hard gray laminate covering top and edges, and a purple laminate covering the underside. The underframe is bare wood strips 3/4 x 1-3/4", arranged as diagramed. They appear to be glued to the underside of the tabletop.

I removed the extension table from the saw, set it on support blocks at all four corners and placed considerable weight on it near its center, hoping to flatten the top.

PLEASE TELL ME IF THERE'S A BETTER WAY TO TAKE THE BOW OUT OF THIS TOP. ARGH!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom Burgess; 07-26-2015 at 1:11 PM.

Tom,
    I wish I had a better idea than the one you're using but I don't.

My (used) saw has the same fence, and a table that looks just like the sketch you posted. My table looks pretty straightforward to make from scratch. (Though it's a stinkin shame to have to do that on a brand new saw.) Keep that option in mind as you get feedback on this, because it's possible to spend more time fixing it than it takes to build new. For example, you might be able to remove the laminate, flatten the bow with a router, then re-attach the laminate. But that is not much faster than building new.

Good luck man. I'm sorry this happened.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Tom,

Personally, I think I'd be tempted to make a new table top.

So you have a brand new, 2006 model Unisaw?

PHM

Can you attach a straight steel 'backbone' under the table and still install it?
    Angle iron, square tube etc.

Being stored for nine years and under who knows what conditions, no doubt that there is a great deal of stress in the laminated table top which will not come out or stay flat once the weight is removed.

Even though you have the Beisemeyer fence system, this may give you some ideas: When I moved several years ago, I fabricated a new table and top for my Uni-saw with left and right cast iron wings and 52" Uni-fence. Table legs and apron constructed from 2X4", 3/4" plywood top with a 1/4" tempered Masonite top. Applied internal bracing to support the screwed down top, then screwed down the Masonite. After front fence rail was level, added 'bout an 18" section of 1 1/2" aluminum angle the table apron, then screwed it to the bottom of the fence rail. Has not moved since it was constructed in '02.

Best better fabricate a new table top. Probably Baltic birch or a similar grade of quality plywood and laminated on both sides. Not probably not what you want to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I wish I had a better idea than the one you're using but I don't...it's possible to spend more time fixing it than it takes to build new. Good luck man. I'm sorry this happened.
    Thanks, Fred. I'm hard pressed to build a new one because...(wait for it)...I don't have a working TABLE SAW. LOL!

Have you guys noticed how once you've gotten used to having a table saw, not having one is like not having your right arm? I used my old one for EVERYTHING, and thought setup of this very expensive Unisaw replacement would be a delight. So far, it's been a BIG, time-consuming PAIN IN THE ARSE that has forced me to jerry rig a number of aspects.

I appreciate your comments and suggestions, Fred.

I wonder if placing the extension table out in the SUN (on the driveway) with the weight stacked on it would enhance and/or hasten the flattening process? I worry that the table might must spring back to the bowed shape once the weight is removed...no matter what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    Personally, I think I'd be tempted to make a new table top.
    I hear you, Paul. But I don't have a working table saw, so I can't make a replacement. 'Catch-22' is the story of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    So you have a brand new, 2006 model Unisaw?
    I do, and I thought it might be 'a cool thing', but it's not turning out that way...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Burgess View Post
    I hear you, Paul. But I don't have a working table saw, so I can't make a replacement. 'Catch-22' is the story of my life.

I do, and I thought it might be 'a cool thing', but it's not turning out that way...
    It's a nice saw. I have one I bought new in about 2003.

This will get resolved and then you'll have a fine saw.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Being stored for nine years and under who knows what conditions, no doubt that there is a great deal of stress in the laminated table top which will not come out or stay flat once the weight is removed. [...] Best to fabricate a new table top. Probably Baltic birch or a similar grade of quality plywood and laminated on both sides. Not probably not what you want to hear.
    You're right, Ray. Not what I wanted to hear, but that happens everyday. The table was boxed and stood on end in my garage, was never horizontal and never bore any weight, so I think it was 'custom made' with that bow.

As noted above, I can't make a replacement extension table because I need a table saw to do that. But of course, I can't set the saw up until I have a flat extension table. CATCH-22. And for the record, I have the Delta UniFence, not the Biesemeyer fence. The extension table is a Biesemeyer U50.

All surfaces are covered with plastic laminate. When I'm sure of no rain in the forecast, I might put the extension table's top OUT IN THE SUN. Mr Sun is very persuasive at getting plastics to 'change their errant behavior'. I'm not sure whether the sun's heat will cause the plastic laminate to expand or contract. Logic suggests that expanding the CONCAVE under-surface or contracting the CONVEX top surface would aid in flattening... Am I right?

If the sun's heat is able to effect the desired flatness, and then I stack the weight on and leave it in place until the table COOLS (when the sun goes down) it might just 'take a set' in the flattened configuration. No?

Can anyone advise me:
    SHOULD THE CONVEX (DOMED) TOP SURFACE FACE THE SUN, OR SHOULD THE CONCAVE (DISHED) BOTTOM SURFACE FACE THE SUN?

Last edited by Tom Burgess; 07-26-2015 at 3:05 PM.

My advice - make another one.
    Youve spent too much time on this saw setup to try and fix it. It's simple to make a new one.

Do you know of anyone with a table saw that could cut out a top for you?

Beg, borrow, rent, or buy a circular saw. With a piece of aluminum angle for a straight edge it will easily break down plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Burgess View Post
    I removed the extension table from the saw, set it on support blocks at all four corners and placed considerable weight on it near its center, hoping to flatten the top.
    How much weight did it take to flatten it out? Is the dome equal distance form each end?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I don't think putting it in the sun will do anything except perhaps break the bond of the laminate to the base material and that would be a step backwards. But like another poster suggested, you should be able to physically flatten the top by putting a couple of steel boxes channels under it and then bolting the top to them. If you use countersunk machine screws the heads will be flush with the top and it will look fine. More importantly, the top will be flat and stay that way. Oh yeah, you don't need a table saw to do this !

John

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Do you know of anyone with a table saw that could cut out a top for you? Beg, borrow, rent, or buy a circular saw. With a piece of aluminum angle for a straight edge it will easily break down plywood.
    I'm the only "woodworker type" I know, and as Dirty Harry Callahan so rightly put it, "A good man knows his limitations." I'll be living with whatever extension table comes out of this for a long time, so I sure don't want to rely on my iffy skills with circular saw and straight edge.

Good questions, Bruce. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    How much weight did it take to flatten it out?
    It must be about 200lbs: 8 half cinder blocks, 3 large pavers, a 5-gal bucket of sand, 5-gal bucket of sandblasting abrasive, two anvils made of railroad track sections - all stacked in an area 16x16" at the approximate highpoint of the dome.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Is the dome equal distance form each end?
    The dome appears to be shifted a bit toward the left/saw end. And just to keep things interesting, the front edge of the table (with the fence rail attachments) is more curved than the rear edge.

Ah, but hope springs eternal! After it being 'burdened' as described throughout the day, I just placed a 4' straightedge atop the front edge to the table top and NOW THE FRONT EDGE (with weight stack in place) IS BOWED DOWNWARD 1/4". I'm hopeful that removing the weight will 'split the difference' resulting in a straight, flat top...

QUESTION: Should I remove the weights 1) NOW, or 2) AT 11PM BEFORE TURNING IN, or 3) TOMORROW MORNING?
    Any educated guess is welcome.