Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10.5" Sapele square bowl w/ feet & lid

10.5" Sapele square bowl w/ feet & lid

Steve mentioned that I should start a new thread for this bowl to make it easier and I agree; This site is a bit different than others I've posted on still learning.

I stayed up late and started a new bowl this time I wanted to try one I saw on the web; You start w/ a square block

8" sq x 2.5" thick and cut out the bowl leaving the corners for legs it's 10.5 corner to corner.
    I'll show some of my basic tools I use to do this; my HF 5" grinder and some of the tooling I bought from PSI.
    The main shape of the bowl is finished but I'll do some work to it off the lathe; more on that later, Next I'll turn the top / lid for the bowl from another piece of Sapele about 7.25" sq.

Bruce
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Handle is Splinterz25 on most forums.

Jack Of All Master Of None

Bruce -- You're doing great work! I look forward to following this bowl to completion.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

10.5" Pommele Sapele Pagoda bowl w/ feet & lid

Thank you David Okay as promised here it is; It has an Oriental look.

Bruce
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great design. Very unique and creative. Please tell us a little more such as how you shaped the legs.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Smith View Post
    Great design. Very unique and creative. Please tell us a little more such as how you shaped the legs.
    Sure Stan You can see the legs in the above photo bieng cut on the lathe; then I used a Dremal w/ a 80 grit sanding drum to grind in the curve in the rest of the way.
    You have to do some hand sanding on things like this so not to cut your fingers on the sharp corners.

Bruce

Wow that is a beauty Bruce. Love everything about it!!!
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Thank you kindly Sid this was a bit tricky to turn but I like the end product as well.

Bruce

I like the results, but man that figure and color are just stunning! Gonna have to put that on my bucket list of woods to turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Ramsey View Post
    I like the results, but man that figure and color are just stunning! Gonna have to put that on my bucket list of woods to turn.
    Thank You Wes I bought a good bit of the Pommele Sapele and plan on getting some more; I just put in a request for some Tiger Maple as well.
    I Want to do a segmented bowl w/ those two species of wood together I think the contrast will be stunning as well as there figure.

Thanks for commenting; I hope I haven't run off the rest of the people that chimed in on my opening thread?
    I'm just getting started and already have several blanks ready to go w/ different items in mind; we are putting the finishing touches on our web site now and it should be open to the public soon, I'll be selling more than just my turned pieces as I paint & make frames for paintings and also make custom outdoor cedar furniture ad well.

Bruce

Very nice, Bruce. I especially like the Oriental look of that piece. Very creative design. Your "how to" pics and narrative are especially appreciated. Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like you have irons in a lot of fires! I figure 35 years of working with wood gives you a leg up on certain skills and an eye for design that the typical beginning turner doesn't always start out with. I've been turning for about a year and a half, and seeing other beginners hit the ground running with quality pieces motivates me to continue improving my skills. I've built a few flatwood pieces, but since I started turning I haven't been motivated to do much other than turn. All I turn is free, local woods, but one of these days I'll invest in some sapele or red mallee for a special piece or 2. In fact, a couple of months ago I actually paid money for a chunk of black palm when we visited the GA coast and I'm hoping to cut into it in the next few weeks. Keep the pics coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Ramsey View Post
    Sounds like you have irons in a lot of fires! I figure 35 years of working with wood gives you a leg up on certain skills and an eye for design that the typical beginning turner doesn't always start out with. I've been turning for about a year and a half, and seeing other beginners hit the ground running with quality pieces motivates me to continue improving my skills. I've built a few flatwood pieces, but since I started turning I haven't been motivated to do much other than turn. All I turn is free, local woods, but one of these days I'll invest in some sapele or red mallee for a special piece or 2. In fact, a couple of months ago I actually paid money for a chunk of black palm when we visited the GA coast and I'm hoping to cut into it in the next few weeks. Keep the pics coming!
    Yes Wes I've been Making all types of custom pieces for a very long time w/ very intricate designs so most of these shapes I've worked with. Free wood is great I have a few logs drying now / I'm not big on the green wood turning because of the splitting.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Jones View Post
    Yes Wes I've been Making all types of custom pieces for a very long time w/ very intricate designs so most of these shapes I've worked with. Free wood is great I have a few logs drying now / I'm not big on the green wood turning because of the splitting.

Bruce
    For for flat work and segmenting it makes good sense, but green wood has its own appeals. If you let the wood dry right and turn it thin the wood will warp beautifully without cracking. Some turners like that and some just can't stand a piece that won't sit flat. I'm in the same camp as you. Most of what I have turned has been down for months or years. Haven't gotten brave enough yet to turn something green and let it do its own thing. Just seems counter-intuitive to me

I cut a stump of Walnut when I first got the lathe it was wet I turned a small round bowl part way on a Friday came
    back on Monday it was an oval w/ cracks?
    The rest on the stump is drying and I may get back to it in the spring. LOL

I'm picking up more kiln dried Sapele and other species next week.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Jones View Post

Bruce
    I used to try and scrounge logs around here. The main hardwood here is oak and the types we have, live oak, scrub oak, mountain oak, etc. are really not suitable for turning. If I lived on the coast, I would be looking for California laurel/bay. I've been watching for sales of some really nice hardwood from Gary at NC Wood, in No. Carolina. His wood does have moisture content of 30% + though. It does come completely waxed. Of course I live in a high desert climate and very low humidity so I really have to watch for checking, warping, bowing, etc..Gary has pretty good prices and I'm willing to pay for the wood I can't get here and for the convenience, too. YMMV I'm envious of those who can get all the nice hardwood by taking walks in the woods.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith