Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front load VS Top load HE Washing machines : Mold Mildew

When I replace my Samsung FL it will be with an old fashioned TL for this reason and others. They (FLs) have their advantages but they're just not worth the hassles or extra cost.

I think that all front loaders are susceptible to mildew because of the physical characteristics of the design. Front loaders use very little water and will always leave a wet surface above the drum that includes anything that was flung off the last load. There is no water agitation to help rinse this surface. Top loaders leave wet side walls, but effectively rinse the surface down after every wash.

There is a product called smelly washer (.com) that supposedly helps rinse off the surfaces of the front loader. I wonder if it is similar to Affresh? It appears to be significantly cheaper, or at least you get many more usages per purchase.

Steve

We had an LG front loader for about 10 years and replaced it when it failed with a may tag top loader. The front loader always had a smell and mold which is partly due to our well water supply but mostly because it never drained fully. We always left it open when it wasn't in use. While it did use less water, it also didn't get clothes very clean. Performance is noticeably better with the inexpensive top load machine vs. the high dollar front loader.

We live in Arizona and we leave the door open on our Kenmore HE3 front loader to help increase our humidity. We haven't had mildew/odor problems perhaps because of our generally low humidity, or because of keeping the washer door open. Prior to reading this thread I never thought about such issues. This front load unit is so much quieter, and (I am told) uses so much less water, and so much less detergent that I hope to never to go back. (Larry: You paint yourself as an old codger, and maybe you are, but water saving is important for the planet and it is time for everyone get on board. One source projects that the worlds water supply will grow 3% while the worlds population will grow 27% by the end of this century).

I just checked the large door seal on our unit, and it feels and smells like flexible PVC. Flexible PVC is plasticized (made flexible) with phthalates which feed fungal growth. Anti-fungal agents can be added to flexible PVC compounds prior to molding, but raise the cost. So..................
    Last edited by Rich Enders; 07-28-2015 at 1:11 AM. Reason: Century instead of decade

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    I don't know, just call me an old codger, You guys can keep all those fancy high dollar washing machines. I'll take an old fashioned top loader any day of the week. No problems with mold, mildew and stink. My current 15 year old Kenmore works fine. When it dies in a few years, I will head down to the used appliance store and pick out another one for $100.
    Larry,

It's hard to argue with your logic, but we went with HE machines because they use less water. City water where I live is expensive, so my more expensive machine is really paying for itself in water and detergent savings.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

We've been using Frigidaire (Electrolux) front loaders for 20 years with no mold problems. We bought the new larger deluxe version about a year ago even though or 18 year old model was still working. I do understand that mold can be an issue but we haven't run into it.

Besides using much less water front loaders use less detergent and are significantly easier on clothes and other fabrics. There are some eye opening statistics that will verify this. (I am a product marketing retiree from Frigidaire)
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

We have a Kenmore front loader bought in 2008, replacing another front loading washer. I notice the drain pump runs long after there's no noticeable water and it spins longer and faster than the older one. No smell issues and saves drying time(gas) because the clothes are already pretty dry. SWMBO has preferred front loaders since at least the mid '80s.

Purchased a Speed Queen top loader for my new house and love it. I can set the water level and the clothes are clean and don't smell. I'm leaving a FL Whirlpool which is awful, it looks like wet clothes slapping against each other with no visible water.
    If the EPA is worried about saving water they should stay away from washers and toilets and look at lawn watering.

We've had a lower end ($500) front load Whirlpool for several years now, and it's been outstanding. No smell or mold/mildew at all.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Are the current top loaders even any good? A few years ago I was reading they were horrible as they had new mandates for water usage that had really affected them negatively. I read about one test on a no-frills machine they found the clothes were actually dirtier coming out than going in. That's why we bought a front loader, and spent extra to get a top notch set.

I prefer front load and we just do regular cleaning/maintenance to avoid mold, mildew and clogged filters. No issues with ours because of that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Are the current top loaders even any good? A few years ago I was reading they were horrible as they had new mandates for water usage that had really affected them negatively. I read about one test on a no-frills machine they found the clothes were actually dirtier coming out than going in. That's why we bought a front loader, and spent extra to get a top notch set.
    I don't know about the new ones too much, but I am sticking with those good old fashioned top loaders from the 90s and older. There are still plenty of them available at used appliance stores. Look for ones that have been refurbished and guaranteed by the store. Really nice ones can be had for around $200. They will more than likely outlast 2 or 3 of the new energy efficient models, and will probably get your clothes cleaner. Just sayin!
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.