Thread: Strap clamps- which one?

Strap clamps- which one?

I have several of the Bessey Vario strap clamps but when clamping large objects due to the strap itself stretching and limited clamp screw travel it does not apply a lot of pressure. It has been fine for picture frames, etc., but not great for cabinets with bevel miter corners for example.

So, I am looking for something better. I saw Rockler's ratcheting strap clamp that looks okay but not sure what else is out there. Let me know what is your favorite.

I have 2 of these and they serve me well. They are made by Wolfcraft and available with private branding at very different costs.
    Do like you always do,,,,,get what you always get!!

I use those ratchet straps used to hold things in the back of a pickup. They don't have the corners but they are easily made, if even needed. I just use wax paper at the glued areas.

I have the same ones that Roger showed, they are great and you can use one hand to hold the strap in place and the other hand to tighten the straps.

I checked the reviews for the version listed above and some complain about how the plastic parts break. Then I remembered to check my favorite place to shop for woodworking tools and supplies and found this:
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,31160&p=31160

Exactly what I was looking for! May not be as convenient as the one linked above but I am sure I can apply ton of pressure with this one. So, I will order soon. This will be for large/bulky carcase glue-ups. I will still use the Bessey Vario for smaller items, e.g., picture frames.

Go to your local wood store and buy more then one for that price. It's just a ratchet strap - probably cheaper without the LV name on it...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I have the 3" ratchet straps from Harbor Freight for $15. I use them to secure stuff in my pickup bed and trailer. I have on occasion used them for glue ups and they will produce an incredible amount of clamping pressure if needed. I usually don't use strap clamps so spending money on nice strap clamps doesn't make much sense to me.

If you can get the metal hooks out of the way with the tie down racheting clamps you would only need the corners (and maybe you don't even need those). I wouldn't want the metal hooks contacting my project, however. Should be a way to take them off and connect the straps.

I use same thing Jim said . I buy the Harbor Freight ones on sale, cut off the hooks and super glue the straps. Some of them were later sewn by Mom, but I haven't broken any that are just glued.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    If you can get the metal hooks out of the way with the tie down racheting clamps you would only need the corners (and maybe you don't even need those). I wouldn't want the metal hooks contacting my project, however. Should be a way to take them off and connect the straps.
    Four corner blocks made out of a couple pieces of 3/4" stock glued at a right angle to each other would make good corner blocks. It would also keep the ratcheting mechanism and hooks off of the project. I do remember using a metal ring to bind the two hooks on the HF ratchet straps together because they don't go together too well on their own. I suppose it all depends on the kind of project you are working on. I guess if you were to use ratchet straps a lot as clamps you could remove the hooks and replace them with some sort of chain coupler link or something?

Cut the hooks off. Clamp them in a good vise and go at it. They are a little hard, but can be done. No gluing or sewing of straps required.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...