Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

27 July 2015

Good Morning Everyone,
    I hope this finds each of you doing well. It's been really hot here as well as humid. The humidity, at times, has been seemingly thick enough to cut it with a knife. Talk about breathing heavy air.!!!! I truly don't know how the folks in Arizona do it, with the high heat they have during the summers.

The guitar project is in the finishing phase and we decided to take off the stain colors and go with a paint finish instead. This is in part, due to the pick guard and pickup colors/styles we purchased. So...we are using an automotive acrylic lacquer for the paint and clear coat finish on the guitar bodies. Been working a lot at the day job and we are losing a person off of our team and that's really going to hurt because it's not easy to find someone that wants to work in the line of work we do. Right now, we're not even sure we will be allowed to hire anyone, as we are still waiting to hear if we can or not.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I had a 3 day weekend and a wife bugging me so I made quite a bit of progress on her two storage shelf things. They are like a bookcase but 16 inches deep for tubs of "stuff" and fit specific spots against a low wall in her attic office/craft room. The larger one is 7'8" long, about 36 high and 16 inches deep. The littler one is the same except only 38 inches long. I glued them up and put on the backs, sanded the outside and removed glue residue from the inside, pickled them, and got one coat of poly on them. I still have the shelves to make but should get another coat or two of poly on the carcases evenings - so I can finish the shelves next weekend. This is the first non-shop project in the new workshop. It is not nearly complete but it still feels good to get something done. Over 8 hours sanding wasn't totally enjoyable but is just part of the process.

Blog Entries
    I got two more coats of Waterlox on the collector's box. The I helped LOML prepare her displays / entries to the fair. All done by seven last night, so big burgers for dinner.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

No time in the shop this weekend...just equestrian activities, lawn mowing and a picnic at a friends house including a dip in their pool.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Finally finished my platform bed project - woo hoo! I'm giving the GF High Performance finish a week to cure before delivery, so I'll have time for a few better photos. I'm not entirely pleased with the results of the staining--too many coats and too heavy, but the client wanted a dark finish after initially requesting a light colored wood, and I've since learned that GF water based/born stains are a challenge to work with on large pieces when your flying solo.

ForumRunner_20150727_073709.jpg ForumRunner_20150727_073850.jpg ForumRunner_20150727_074112.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 07-27-2015 at 10:54 AM.

Hi Dennis. My weekend went as follows

Friday, had the day off, bike was scheduled to go into the dealer for a recall. Irony. That's what it's called when you're late for the recall appointment because your BMW won't start (again).

Saturday, did some shop cleanup.

Sunday, took said bike for a few hundred kilometer ride.

regards, Rod.

Dennis,

Sound like your guitar project is coming together slowly but surely. I am going to start and amp cabinet this fall with a Trinity 18watt amp kit and build a custom amp cabinet.

I did very little in the shop this weekend, with no AC in my shop it has been miserable to work in, so I got out and did lawn work on Sunday. Go figure to hot for the shop so work in the yard in the sun. Oh well its nice as you can take your time and don't have any time lines to meet.

Bill

I started putting the drawers together for my cherry end table project. Got the fronts, sides and backs cut to size, and started on the joinery. Still need to glue up some panels for the bottoms of the drawers.