Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Track Saw Tracks

Track Saw Tracks

I recently got a Grizzley Track saw, along with a couple of tracks and their accessory kit. It came with a pair of right angle clamps, a stop, and one track connector. For those of you who have used these kinds of saws, do you use two track connectors? It would seem fairly flimsy to just use the one to me.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

My track has provisions for two connectors and I would use them both, personally. That said...I bought an 8' track for when longer cuts are necessary. I've only used it a few times over the years, but when it was needed, it did the job. My two shorter tracks are also different "generations" so they look, um...weird...joined together. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The green system has a similar issue, maybe the following will prompt some ideas. It uses two connector strips secured by set screws, but it's not a great arrangement in that there's more than enough slop so that the sections of rail can't be relied upon to be held in alignment. Overtightening risks damaging the slot in the rail.

It's no great problem to work around when setting up a cut. Just butt a straight edge hard against the straight/reference side of the rails and bridging across the joint to align the halves. It's usually possible then with care to rely on the friction tape underneath to hold the rails in place while you make the cut. For 100% reliability it's best to clamp both sections of rail down at both ends, but this isn't always easy - especially not in the middle.

It's inconvenient and a misalignment risk, meaning that if i was routinely making long cuts i'd probably as Jim buy one of the long one piece rails….

I'm not sure they make a 8'+ track for a Grizzly. I like mine for my DeWalt, however. It is barely long enough for 8' rips but if I set it about flush on the outfeed side it works fine. It is accurate enough I have started using it to rip a straight edge on long boards for glueup. I doubt I could do that with two short tracks joined together. I've seen some conversations on the FOG about some better connector for joining rails, however. Might be worth checking out.

I just make the cut and then move the track. It's just a straight line you know. How much can you be off?

This is truly the beauty of this thing!!!

Blog Entries
    I use two connectors on my Makita

I use two connectors on my Grizz Track Saw. But to be honest, I never tried it with one because I was afraid that I would spoil the cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wunder View Post
    I use two connectors on my Grizz Track Saw. But to be honest, I never tried it with one because I was afraid that I would spoil the cut.

That was my feeling. I have not had the need for it yet, but feel that it will come around eventually.

Thanks,

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

My Eureka Zone uses three connectors to joint sections.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

One feature that I think (??) is unique about the Eurkeazone.com tracks is that the track slots have a dovetail shape that automatically aligns and straightens two tracks when the connector is tightened. This same feature comes into play when attaching and auto-aligning other Eurekazone.com components (miter square, routing kit, ... ).

Eurekazone recommends use of two side connectors for track lengths up to 108", and adding a center connector for track lengths over 108" (the tracks have three slots for connectors). I would think that more connectors are better for most other systems. Even though Eurekazone's tracks self alight, I think experienced users still recommend double-checking alignment with a long straightedge - such as a long level - just to be safe.

This URL gives a slick overview picture of the unique Eurekazone.com aluminum extrusions available and some hints of how they can fit together. http://www.eurekazone.com/self_align...ons_s/1971.htm

BTW, I am in no way associated with Eurekazone other than a happy customer and user of their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kortge View Post
    One feature that I think (??) is unique about the Eurkeazone.com tracks is that the track slots have a dovetail shape that automatically aligns and straightens two tracks when the connector is tightened. This same feature comes into play when attaching and auto-aligning other Eurekazone.com components (miter square, routing kit, ... ). .

As you yourself say: Don't expect the Eurazone tracks to auto-align perfectly. That was wishful thinking on Dino's part. I think it's the best track system made, overall, but if you want a very accurate 8' cut you have to check it with a straight edge, just like any other system.

To answer the OP: I made a 9' section from 2 tracks, using all three EZ connectors. Once I had it dead-nuts straight, I filled the gap with "Goop" glue, so it could not shift later on. Now I keep that only for breaking down sheet goods, and never take it apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    To answer the OP: I made a 9' section from 2 tracks, using all three EZ connectors. Once I had it dead-nuts straight, I filled the gap with "Goop" glue, so it could not shift later on. Now I keep that only for breaking down sheet goods, and never take it apart.
    Got to be a PITA to store.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    Once I had it dead-nuts straight, I filled the gap with "Goop" glue, so it could not shift later on. Now I keep that only for breaking down sheet goods, and never take it apart.
    I've been debating tig welding two of my tracks together for a permanent 110" rail. Its cheaper, and if were ever to get bent they could be cut apart and re-welded mostly straight.

I have had a Grizzly track saw for quite a while. I don't really have any difficulty with connecting two pieces of track for a longer cut. You just have to line the backs of the track against something straight while you're tightening the connector. The Festool guys have throughly discussed the best ways to do this, as the same issue comes up with the green stuff.

You can buy a second connector for about $12 on Amazon. It's Shop Fox D4444 Rail Connector for W1835. It's definitely easier to use a connected track with two connectors in place. I personally keep the connectors installed into one piece of track, so it's a quick transition if I need to change.

Agreed that it would be great to permanently attach two pieces ( except that I wouldn't be able to store it). Maybe Grizzly will some day come out with a long extrusion?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hines, MD View Post
    I recently got a Grizzley Track saw, along with a couple of tracks and their accessory kit. It came with a pair of right angle clamps, a stop, and one track connector. For those of you who have used these kinds of saws, do you use two track connectors? It would seem fairly flimsy to just use the one to me.
    I have the Schempeck (spelling?) version of the saw, which Grizzly rebadged. I use two connectors on the pair of 24" tracks. Huge improvement from just one connector.