Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Life of a lasertube Please need good information trying to solve a possible issue

Hi guys,
    I have a question related to the life of a laser tube and thought this would be the place to post my question.
    I bought a VersaLaser VL200 back in 2004. I used it for maybe a total of 200 hours tops. Then it sat unused for far too many years.
    I'm trying to find some motivation and get it going again and the red laser light shows on the material, but it doesn't etch or cut at all.
    Is there a chance that the tube has lost all of its gas and I need to replace it?
    Marty

Marty - sure, it's possible, but you want to check out any other possibilities first. How was the laser stored? Was it stored "inside" i.e. normal environment for operation? If it experienced severe temperature swings that would be detrimental to the tube.

Did you check all the optics and align the mirrors? If not you need to do that. Check for output at the source (direct output from the tube.) You might also go into the diagnostic procedure and do test burns.

Thanks, Richard. That (the red laser light showing but not etching/cutting/engraving anything) was happening several months ago. Now that I've gotten back to try again, I've taken a step backwards. Now the machine won't even power on. I have it connected directly to a 110v outlet (no extension cord or surge protector) but nothing happens when I hit the power button.
    I remember getting new ceramic fuses years ago when I was having an issue, so the fuses should be good.
    Any ideas for me to try? This is pathetic

We vector cut 1/8" acrylic daily with a 60W Epilog Helix. Our tubes last 6 months to 2 years. They replace about every other tube under warranty. I remove the back of the machine and clean the fans and fins once a month. There is about 1 foot clearance between the machine and wall. Shop temp is 70-84 deg. F.

Epilog support is top notch - but I have also been led to believe I'm the only one. The last time we discussed tube life, it was all about how close I am to the wall and air flow. The air is constantly circulating in the shop so I don't really buy it. The 3-4 year advertised tube life is about how often I pay for one.
    Epilog Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by marty mcdonald View Post
    Hi guys,
    I have a question related to the life of a laser tube and thought this would be the place to post my question.
    I bought a VersaLaser VL200 back in 2004. I used it for maybe a total of 200 hours tops. Then it sat unused for far too many years.
    I'm trying to find some motivation and get it going again and the red laser light shows on the material, but it doesn't etch or cut at all.
    Is there a chance that the tube has lost all of its gas and I need to replace it?
    Marty
    I've got an early-2005 VL200, first tube lasted until 2009, second one is still in it, going strong, although I admittedly don't use the machine as much as I did 6-8 years ago. But FWIW, the distributor who sold me the machine originally said tube life was on the order of 4 years whether you run it continuously or just a couple hours a week.

Let's see, 4 years * 365 * 24 is near enough 35000 hours...YMMV.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Matheny View Post
    Thanks Dave I have a thermometer with a probe somewhere that sites on the fins of the laser tube itself and read from 79 - 85 most of the time
    These are the greatest thing since sliced bread for finding hot spots in machinery:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/non-con...ing-61894.html
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.