Thread: Large Silicon Pads?

Large Silicon Pads?

There are a woodworking tool, aren't they?

Anyhow, I have a small one and like it. Woodcraft has a 23.5 x 60 for $50. Anyone know where a better buy is? I have googled, amazoned, and ebayed without finding anything. I thought a 40x50 for $8 was great until I realized it was centimeters. Still a good deal; just not as big as I want.

Wade, I couldn't find it on the Woodcraft site. I'm curious, what do you use this for?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

You put it on your tablesaw and lets you glue stain and varnish without caring about drips. Yeah, a cheap plastic sheet works also, but the silicon pad is a much nicer work surface.
    They are in the August flyer.

I think the largest silicon wafers readily available are 300 mm diameter, with 400 mm wafers in development. What would you use one for in woodworking? It's not the sort of think I'd expect to find available on a retail basis.

EDIT-- never mind-- google silicone baking mats and you'll find lots of them. Big difference between silicon and silicone!
    Last edited by roger wiegand; 07-27-2015 at 1:51 PM.

Thanks, I can see where silicone would be nice. I use a plastic table cloth that my wife made me.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I find a lot of those over-priced doodads from the woodworking store are very affordable at my local Restaurant Store.

My 18x25 came from Amazon to roll bakery good on. I don't see anything anywhere as big as the Woodcraft ones.

Amazon lists 36x36" sheets, MSC and other industrial supply places have cut-to-length stock in 36" width with or without adhesive backing, so you can cover a whole assembly bench if you like. A cake sheet size is 18x26", so that's the most likely larger size from kitchen supply places.

Not sure if this helps you or not but looking at grizzlys website I see a 24 x 60 anti fatigue mat for $19.

Biggest at either Amazon or MSC were 24x26 and the prices were more than Woodcrafts 23x60.

And while anti fatigue mats are completely different, that looks like a decent price; I might pick up a couple. Thanks.

MSC lists over a hundred varieties of silicone sheet in 36" widths but I doubt that you would want to pay their price for the intended purpose.
    https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...silicone+sheet

Andy Rooney

Consider EPDM, rubber roll roofing. Mcmaster has 1/16" x 36" x 72" for $16. You might find a local roofing company and gets old roof scraps for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lizek View Post
    Consider EPDM, rubber roll roofing. Mcmaster has 1/16" x 36" x 72" for $16. You might find a local roofing company and gets old roof scraps for free.
    I wouldn't want to put my projects on this stuff. Also, I think silicone non stickiness is part of the allure.

ptreeusa.com has the same price for probably the same sili mat

Amazon has a fiberglass reinforced silicone welding blanket that is 48 x 60.
    http://www.amazon.com/PyroProtecto-F...s=silicone+mat

Grill mat 60 x 80 same stuff, different size.
    http://www.amazon.com/PyroProtecto-F...Z8KPMHN0QSA59X

Don

Menards sells 4x8 ft. sheets of HDPE. Depending on the thickness you want, from $35 to $55.

John