Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Unisaw ASSEMBLY, Thread #3 = Unifence body won't engage fence rail

Delta Unisaw ASSEMBLY, Thread #3 = Unifence body won't engage fence rail

In 2006 I purchased a Delta Unisaw X5 with 50" Unifence, mobile base, mobile base extension and a 'U50' extension table made by Biesemeyer to accommodate the 50" rip capacity. I'm finally assembling it and finding it to be a loosely cobbled set of disparate sub assemblies - some of which don't fit together worth a damn. The prior two threads in this painful litany are: 1) New Table Saw - Assembly Questions, and 2) Biesemeyer U50 Extension Table is BOWED. How to straighten it?

I've never had trouble like this when assembling ANYTHING. What a waste of time and effort, and Delta Tech/Customer Support could not care less (based on two conversations with them).

I need to hear from Unifence owners (see images below):
    You guys know this: You set the fence body onto the front rail and then TWIST the handle to lock the fence body onto the rail, prior to lowering the handle so cam action can lock the fence into final position. I cannot twist the handle because the rotating steel bar does not enter into the fence rail slot deeply enough. I forced it a couple of times and the steel bar bit into the inner surface of the aluminum rail slot, marring it (grrr!).

There are two big black plastic 'things' that pass through the back of the fence body; they appear to be ADJUSTERS. Each is threaded and has a large hex nut shape molded into it. Logic suggests that turning them OUTWARD would create more space for the steel locking bar and aluminum rail slot to interact. AM I RIGHT?

PROBLEM: I can't get them to turn, and when I lean on them heavy with a wrench it feels like the hex shape might shear off(!). Is there a way to LUBRICATE the threads...?

This Unisaw with all it's difficulties and frustrating surprises makes me wish for my trusty old Craftsman, which bit the dust around Christmas time...(sniff). I will never buy another Delta tool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom Burgess; 07-27-2015 at 10:34 PM.

i feel for you, but you're not having fun anymore. Sell it and buy something else.

Or find a local ww'er who can help you out.

The big adjuster screws should turn very easily. They must be gummed up after sitting for so long? Maybe try spraying them with WD40 and letting them sit for a day or two?

I just pulled mine off, and the space between the body and the metal locking piece is between 3/8"-7/16". Mine's a little older than yours, but I'd expect them to be nearly identical?
    Gerry

JointCAM

Howdy Tom, A unifence takes some getting used to. I had problems when I first got mine. That being said, it is a fine fence. take your time and learn to use it. It'll pay off. those adjusters will turn, the fence will lock well and I love being able to just slide the fence back to make cut offs with a miter guage. just keep trying, it'll work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    i feel for you, but you're not having fun anymore. Sell it and buy something else.
    Or find a local ww'er who can help you out.
    Thanks Matt, but I really have no option but to keep and use this saw (for now). Otherwise, I would do as you suggest tomorrow. I've been thinking about the benefits of using this big, powerful, precision Unisaw for years (and would not do well selling it now that my confidence in it is diminished) so I will make it work. I'm just fed up with all the "creative workarounds" I had to employ...

I guess there's a BENEFIT in that I'm already very familiar with this saw's construction and operation thanks to all the FUN we've been having here. Despite my complaints, onward and upward.
    Last edited by Tom Burgess; 07-28-2015 at 9:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Grzadzinski View Post
    The big adjuster screws should turn very easily. They must be gummed up after sitting for so long? Maybe try spraying them with WD40 and letting them sit for a day or two?
    I just pulled mine off, and the space between the body and the metal locking piece is between 3/8"-7/16". Mine's a little older than yours, but I'd expect them to be nearly identical?
    Thanks, Gerry, for confirming the two 'black things' as being adjuster screws, and that they should turn easily. Per your comments, I tried a socket instead of a box wrench, and used a long handle for leverage. The 7/8" socket got a much better purchase on the black plastic hex shapes than the wrench could, so I carefully increased pressure on that long handle until BOTH BLACK ADJUSTERS TURNED. Woohoo! It's such a simple accomplishment, but I'm DELIGHTED. I backed both adjusters out a little and now the fence head glides on the fence rail and table top(s) beautifully - and the handle's cam action locks the fence head in place gently and with real precision. Even smoother and better than I've been imagining since 2006.

And the space between the locking bar and the rear wall of my fence head seems to be about the same as yours. Thanks for taking that measurement. Tomorrow I'll add the fence, the measuring window and the slide stop to this fence system - and with any luck, I'll be DONE (fingers crossed).
    Last edited by Tom Burgess; 07-28-2015 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark kosse View Post
    Howdy Tom, A unifence takes some getting used to. I had problems when I first got mine. That being said, it is a fine fence. take your time and learn to use it. It'll pay off. those adjusters will turn, the fence will lock well and I love being able to just slide the fence back to make cut offs with a miter guage. just keep trying, it'll work out.
    Hey, Mark (or I should 'howdy you back' since you're in Houston ). Thanks for your encouraging remarks. I'm beginning to see what you mean (per my post #6 above). Now that I've got the head adjusted enough to get it working and got my extension table flat enough to work, I'm very pleased at the smoothness and apparent precision. I haven't mounted the actual fence on the head yet, but have a pretty good idea of how it's going to work. I think it'll be GRRREAT (if nuthin' else bites me in the arse now).

I bought this saw at a manufacturer's "Special Event" held at a local authorized dealer. They gave me the option of either the Delta Unifence or the Biesemeyer for the same price. Others may disagree, but to me the Unifence seemed (and seems) to be a more refined and more versatile approach. And if the Biesmeyer configuration is needed for certain operations, there's a Biesmeyer-like accessory fence for $90 that fits onto the Unifence head the same way the Unifence fence does.

And YEAH, the ability to slide the fence toward and away from the operator is just too good. And flipping the fence on its side for ripping really thin material is neat, too. Hey! I think I'm starting to get over my 'dark thoughts' about this saw, and beginning to remember why I bought it in the first place. Thanks to all you guys.

Good, The X5 machines were some of the best delta ever built although I'm not sure what the changes were on a uni. I don't think the extension table is necessarily deltas fault though. Time changes things. Get the saw up and running with the old table, build you a new table and run that saw. It'll do you real fine.

Will do, Mark. And I'm glad to hear that the X5 is considered 'a good specimen', especially in light of my challenges thus far.

Thanks

I'll second what mark says, I have an X5 DJ20 that's been a tank! I love that thing, although I do wish it was a 12". I recently bought myself a sawstop PCS to replace my old delta contractor saw. The sawstop is a great saw, but not nearly as solid and smooth as my dad's 2005 Unisaw. In hindsight I should have sprung for the ICS saswtop instead. Maybe someday I'll upgrade. If you don't like that saw, It will sell in a nanosecond! I'd keep it if I were you though!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wilde View Post
    I'll second what mark says, I have an X5 DJ20 that's been a tank! I love that thing [...] The sawstop is a great saw, but not nearly as solid and smooth as my dad's 2005 Unisaw. If you don't like that saw, It will sell in a nanosecond! I'd keep it if I were you though!
    I'm glad to hear that, Steve. It's good to have the option of selling it if I need to, and I'm glad to know I'm using a really good table saw. I owned my previous saw for more than 30 years and relied on it in countless ways. The table saw truly is the centerpiece of any shop.

Responses to my first thread regarding this saw seemed to indicate a less-than-favorable resale value (maybe). I hope your good opinion of the saw is the more accurate viewpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by mark kosse View Post
    Good, The X5 machines were some of the best delta ever built although I'm not sure what the changes were on a uni. I don't think the extension table is necessarily deltas fault though. Time changes things. Get the saw up and running with the old table, build you a new table and run that saw. It'll do you real fine.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the principal difference between the Delta X5 and a non X5 was the warranty. The X5 having a 5 year. The mechanics of the machine were identical, IIRC.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Hey, Bruce. Don't harsh my buzz, man...

As things stand, I own one of the best saws Delta ever made. Enough Said as far as I'm concerned.

I love my Unifence. One suggestion though. There is a cursor for each fence position. I put tape over the one I am not using. Don't ask why.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Burgess View Post
    Hey, Bruce. Don't harsh my buzz, man...

As things stand, I own one of the best saws Delta ever made. Enough Said as far as I'm concerned.
    My bad, you need all the cheering up you can get.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney