Thread: Larger totes for big hands?

Larger totes for big hands?

I have a beloved 604 smoother that I use a great deal. It has a cracked tote (all the way through about an inch from the bottom) which I've epoxied unsuccessfully; it hasn't stood up to the strain and has broken again. In addition, after long sessions with the plane, my hand is a bit chewed up, I think because I have large hands and the tote kind of squeezes my hand into place. I keep my index finger extended, but the other three fingers still feel smashed.

Does anyone know of over-sized replacement totes? Something a bit "taller" that still fit the plane would be perfect.

Blog Entries
    My handles tend to do the same thing. Most of the time extending both my index finger and my pinky relieves the squeeze.

Not sure if there is much room to make the tote larger on a #4. One of my repairs in the past was of a tote that had a rough break. A former failed repair was sawn off and a shim/washer was made to fill in the part sawn off. It was a bit thicker than the area removed making the tote longer. It is my only plane, a #5, that all my fingers can fit around the tote comfortably.

At times my rasps, files and sandpaper have been used to remove a little wood here and there off of a tote to make my fingers feel more welcome.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Phil

I have a #604 that now has a custom handle. My hand is on the larger size, probably at the extreme of the average range (100mm/4" across the palm), but the handle, per se, is not large. What makes it work better is improved ergonomics.

I wrote a detailed evaluation of this aspect when reviewing the Veritas Custom planes recently. You may find this helpful in deciding what works for you (rather than using what works for me). Link to article (to Introduction - there were 4 chapters in all): http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...omPlanes1.html

As you will see here, the handle is more vertical. This allows more space for the hand/knuckles:

Regards from Perth

Derek

Almost like a Millers falls style of handle?
    cleaned up.jpg
    of course, this is just a jack plane...No.14-01B Type 5

Derek, thank you for this response. I feel fortunate to benefit from your scholarly treatment of the subject. What a great photo essay, backed up by some excellent research and analysis. I'd shake your giant hand if I could. (Mine are about the same size, I think).

Did you record the tote-making process at all? I'm not sure I'd even have the skills, but I'd love to learn more about it.

Hi Phil

Handles are very easy. Basically drill the hole first, then shape around it.

Here is a tutorial by Alf: http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/planetote.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Phil

Handles are very easy. Basically drill the hole first, then shape around it.

Here is a tutorial by Alf: http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/planetote.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Ah yes, just like sculpture; all you have to do is remove the bits that don't look like David.

Thanks for the link, Derek. Could I ask, is your 604 handle pretty close in design to the Lee Valley upright tote?

Found this wonderful resource on Lee Valley's website, templates for various totes and saw handles:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=63262