Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I may be going on a lawsuit spree...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    The fees are standard, everyone pays them and it isn't the fault of the bank, it is 100% the fault of the vendor.
    Yes for some banks they are standard. The ones who want to take advantage of customers. For many banks...like mine...they simply reject the purchase assuming the customer made a mistake...or are getting ripped off. It's all about customer service.

And yes again...the vendor is at fault.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

You shopped online with a debit card and now want free protection against unauthorized charges? That's what credit cards are for.

Good luck!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Why not let them come to the moo to collect

The lesson that I got from all of this......

Never buy your wife a dress.

The bank can reverse the charges if they want to. I'd talk to them again, especially if you have been dealing with them for a long time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post

That's what I learned ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post

That is EXACTLY the advice I have been waiting for!

"Honey? Larry said..."
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

to my way of thinking, the store that charged more than the ordered item bought was listed to sell for has caused the problem and should fix it. The money was there to cover the listed selling price. Since they charge a good deal more than they SHOULD have, the money for other debits was no longer there due to their mistake. As the money WAS in the account had the correct price been charged all debits would clear without running into overdraft.
    Something similar happened to me years ago at Best Buy. To the tune of $700+ being charged twice? The double charge caused us the same problem with the snowball effect. Best Buy refused to make it right other than credit the double charge but the numerious over draft charges where our problem. In the end Best Buy has lost hundreds if not thousands in future sales from us and our bank removed most if not all of the overdraft charges. It was very obvious the problem was caused by the store's mistake and not us being reckless and just over spending.
    Frankly, to suggest someone should keep more money in the bank, to cover a merchants mistake is sort of dumb. He stated he had the money to coverwhat he purchased and the other debits. So how much more would you advise anyone to keep? He didn't spend more than he had to spend.
    good luck and hope your bank will help you once the situtation is explained.
    Universal Laser ILS 12.150D (48"x24") 135 watts total, with 60 watt and 75 watt laser cartridges. Class 4 Module (pass thru ability). Photograv 3.0, Corel X6, Adobe Design Standard CS4 Suite, Engrave Lab laser Version 8, Melco Single Head Comercial Embroidery Machine, The Magic Touch System with Oki C711WT printer, and Graphtec CE6000-60 plotter.

I will be watching the classified ads for good tools from you to make up for the loss.

You know I didn't mean that.

If you are a good customer at the bank I am quite sure they will withdraw the fees if you make an appointment to speak with the manager. I would not go for the branch manager I would go for the district manager, depending on your bank.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

I remembered having a similar problem when I posted earlier, but couldn't remember the details. I remembered, and it was on about a $2,000 plus a little bit charge from a company I bought a replacement fuel injector kit for my then 12 year old Duramax. The company charged me twice. It was a day when a lot of other debits came out of our account to pay monthly bills, and it ran up a total fee charge of something like $420.00. The company called me and told me the mistake they had made. When I got home that evening, I checked the online account and saw the fees. I went to the bank first thing the next morning, and talked to someone behind a desk. She said if I gave her a hug, she'd take the charges off. I don't remember the hug being memorable, but the results were, at least with a little delay to think about it. I've probably been dealing with that bank for forty years though.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo View Post
    Yes for some banks they are standard. The ones who want to take advantage of customers. For many banks...like mine...they simply reject the purchase assuming the customer made a mistake...or are getting ripped off. It's all about customer service.

You agree to this stuff when you sign up for an account, it doesn't just hit you out of the blue. If you don't like that bank's terms, go elsewhere. Don't go blaming the bank for doing things that you agreed to.

Plus, they're not taking advantage of anyone. They're doing what was agreed to. I'm sure that, if you had been with them a while and they didn't want to lose your business, they'd work with you. Many years ago, I was setting up a ballroom rental for work, they wanted a $100 deposit and we were going to send them a corporate check 30 days before the event so I just gave them my debit card and was going to get reimbursed from work. Instead, they tried to run a $10,000 charge into my checking account and overdrafted it. So I got them and my bank on the phone together and my bank told them, in no uncertain terms, that they were going to pay all of the overdraft charges and they complied. My bank loves me, but I've had the same account for more than 35 years.
    Last edited by Brian Henderson; 07-28-2015 at 6:24 PM.

Harold, the merchant made right on their mistake by refunding the partial payment. It's not their problem how much money you have in your account.

The bank did no wrong by charging you the overdraft and consecutive overdraft fees for other purchases you made. You agreed to their terms and conditions when you opened the account, hence all the fees you were given.

I had this same situation about 10 years ago, the merchant charged me twice, didn't realize it until I saw the multiple overdraft fees ($35 a piece). I called the bank to tell them of my situation, mad minded but spoke nicely. If I recall correctly they waved all the fees. They give customers one chance, a free pass from these charges (at least my bank did). After that I was told I couldn't get the fees waved and make sure of my finances. I would call calm and collectively and see how things go.

I thought I was wronged by both sides too, mad for a moment until I looked at the whole situation and realized I was only to blame. As you are too, with all due respect.

I hope your wife looks and feels lovely in her new dress (that's what really matters!)

The best to you both, Shawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo View Post

How exactly would the bank know that any of the transactions were not exactly as the customer intended? And sure, the dress merchant is responsible to make their end of things right, but thats the end of it. They can't possibly be on the hook for the overdraft fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    How exactly would the bank know that any of the transactions were not exactly as the customer intended?
    I think he is saying that the customer has the option of not authorizing overdraft protection. In that case any overdrafts are almost certainly mistakes rather than willful overdrafts as writing a check you know will bounce is a crime. (proving it is another matter)

In my case with the double charged fuel injector kit, the company refunded the overage on the card the same day as soon as they realized what they had done, but the bank wouldn't have put it back in my account for a day or few later, hence the overdraft charges.