Thread: Pepe the Rocking Burro

Pepe the Rocking Burro

Many years ago my Dad and I built several rocking animals that we used to take pictures of children at local events for their parents. This little burro, named Pepe, has been in my shop office for a long time and it was finally time to place him on a rocker for my grand daughters third birthday Sunday July 26th.

When we built the rocking animals we didn't build the rockers because the children would not sit still for the pictures. My task last week was to build a rocker and the collar for Pepe in time for my grand daughters birthday. Since my Dad passed away several years ago this will always be a special gift from both her grandfather and her great grandfather, i hope this one will host a lot of children in our family for many generations to come.
    Attached Images Attached Images

:-) :-) cute little critter
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Blog Entries
    Very nice I'm sure your granddaughter will love it.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 07-28-2015 at 7:39 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    A great gift and a great story to go with it. Nice move Keith.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Very nice Keith. I remember you posting this little critter in years past. Our first granddaughter was just born this summer and one of my plans for a future birthday gift is the rocking Poke-Chop pig. I really like your use of contrasting wood and finishes.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

That thing is adorable.

I can still remember using a rocking horse at my best friend's house when we were just toddlers, it is one of my earliest childhood memories.

Thank's guys,

The burro is one of the Wooden Memories plans, the Poke Chop pig Mark mentioned is also one of Ken Williams plans from his Wooden Memories company. In addition to the burro I own the drawings for the mare, pig, camel, goat, bull, clydesdale, hay wagon, conestoga wagon, Santa's sled, reindeer and the oxen set.

So far my Dad and I built one mare, four burros, one goat, one bull, one hay wagon and the clydesdale is about 50% complete. We built the animals together, my Dad loved them and would rather build them than eat when he was hungry. The rocker and collar for Pepe is the first time I have worked on an animal since my Dad passed but I have recently decided to finish the Clydesdale. I am using basswood for the Clydesdale so I can get as close to the Busch Clydesdale's colors with black mane and white hair around the feet.

Yesterday (9-18-22) I was informed that Ken Williams was still alive and well and has been working on new plans that are now available on his web site at https://woodenmemories.net/

Ken is working on upgrades to his older legacy plans that will be made available on his new web site when he has completed the changes.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-18-2022 at 11:45 AM.

Beautiful work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

He is fantastic. That's the cutest rocking animal I've ever seen. I will keep this post saved so I can find it when my boys have kids. Dang he is handsome! Great work!!

Edit: I found all the plans you mentioned at Woodcraft. I may order them ahead of time so I have them when I need them...
    Last edited by Mike Cozad; 07-30-2015 at 6:49 PM.