Thread: African Yellowwood Bowl

African Yellowwood Bowl

African Yellowwood (AKA Fern Pine) bowl.

Since this wood, turned green, shows no cracking and very minor warping, but molds almost immediately, I am experimenting with finishes.

I sanded this one wet all the way to 1200, and then polished for 10 minutes with a t-shirt. Then I added paste wax and polished it in until there was a nice, even gloss. I wanted to get those pores closed and sealed to stop the mold.

I'll see what happens now. Hopefully it will not twist itself in a final, self-destructive rage.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Beautiful looking bowl with a very nice shape. Is the wood not completely dry Brian, or the idea here to finish early to stop mold from continuing to grow. Speaking out loud, and maybe you wouldn't want to, but after you roughed it out, I think a few days of DNA soak would have stopped any mold from growing. I think we have something in common if this is a hole for a chuck key....LOL. Nice Work!!
    key.jpg

Yes, Steve, I think I have 20 holes for different lathe tools in the table.

What do you use as a container for DNA? I have a 12" swing so my biggest bowls are under 11" wide. I would want something that can be sealed and put up high because of grandkid safety.

I just did a search and found this recommendation from Steve Schlumf:
    "I use a contractor grade plastic garbage bag, I think they are 42 gallon, cut in half. Using a large cardboard box, I place the turning in the plastic bag, then place the bag into the box. Stuff wet shavings all around the outside of the bag to remove any spaces within the bag. THEN fill the bag with enough DNA to cover the turning, twist the plastic bag closed and secure with a tie-wrap! Very simple - works with all size forms and you only use as much DNA as needed per turning!"
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 07-28-2015 at 3:18 PM.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I use a drywall compound bucket with a real tight fitting lid. Steve's method will use a smaller amount of DNA, good idea but personally I think I would want a cheap plastic Walmart tub rather than a cardboard box just in the event the plastic bag leaked. I had several gallons handy so I also used a 5 gal. bucket before with a folded garbage bag over the top with a bungie cord around the top to prevent evaporation. Pour in just enough DNA to cover the project. You might use Steve's method with the shavings in the bucket or tub and set that bag into a bucket would be safe I'd think.