Thread: Epilog Mini fails to start

Epilog Mini fails to start

Hi,

As of today Epilog Mini won't start up. After power on it only shows black squares(see atached pictures). Any ideas?????
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog MINI 18 35w
    Shenhui SH-G350D 100w
    DIY CNC router 40x60

#1 Unplug & re-seat all of the board cables.
    #2 Call Support
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Plus 1 to Tim's suggestions. (However, unless it is a cable, my Mini did the same and it was the mainboard. Yes, $1,000+)
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Good news!!! I'm the proud owner of a new motherboard as of last week.......and Epilog has almost cut the price in half.....so it's a LITTLE more affordable now.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

I trust that you followed up with tech support on this today? If not, start there in the AM.

303-215-9171
    tech@epiloglaser.com
    Jeanette Brewer
    Engraving Concepts

E-mailed tech support yesterday. Got answer in about 10 min that MB needs replacement.
    @steve clarkson if not secret what is price of new MB these days. thanx
    Epilog MINI 18 35w
    Shenhui SH-G350D 100w
    DIY CNC router 40x60

What is going with Epilog, if its not a motherboard its a tube failure. You never hear of other brands replacing MB's so often or at all? And don't run at 100% speed?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Pod View Post
    E-mailed tech support yesterday. Got answer in about 10 min that MB needs replacement.
    @steve clarkson if not secret what is price of new MB these days. thanx
    IIRC, motherboards are around $500.
    Jeanette Brewer
    Engraving Concepts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    What is going with Epilog, if its not a motherboard its a tube failure. You never hear of other brands replacing MB's so often or at all? And don't run at 100% speed?
    I replaced my motherboard over a year ago - at that time, about $1,400 (with overnight shipping). In my case I traced it to a bad ground during an electrical storm - my fault.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

In my case MB failed after 9 years of running. Tube is not at 100% but still usable. Have to run jobs 5% slower. Still waiting quote for MB from local distributor.
    Epilog MINI 18 35w
    Shenhui SH-G350D 100w
    DIY CNC router 40x60

I got a quote for 1600EUR cca 1750USD. A bit high if MB is around 500$ ??. Can anyone PM me address of US reseller. If MB in US is really around 500$ all costs including TAX, customs and shipping under USD1000.
    Last edited by Marc Pod; 07-30-2015 at 3:48 AM.
    Epilog MINI 18 35w
    Shenhui SH-G350D 100w
    DIY CNC router 40x60

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Pod View Post
    I got a quote for 1600EUR cca 1750USD. A bit high if MB is around 500$ ??. Can anyone PM me address of US reseller. If MB in US is really around 500$ all costs including TAX, customs and shipping under USD1000.
    So is that exchange or trade in the old MB? Wonder what goes wrong with the Epilog boards you never hear about a ULS or Trotec one going bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    So is that exchange or trade in the old MB? Wonder what goes wrong with the Epilog boards you never hear about a ULS or Trotec one going bad?
    OK, I'll try again... I'm guessing a lot of years of hard use and just as I answered before, a lack of a good ground - user error. Replacing the MB was a small price to pay for all of the $$$$ that machine had made me. Support is even surprised the old tube is still running at nearly 99%. VERY solid machine, built to run day & night... and it has.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 07-30-2015 at 8:30 AM.
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Electronics don't wear out. Capacitors age and fail and mechanical relays wear. In my active ham radio days and in fact I still have a old 2 meter rig in the basement over 20 years old. If I powered it up today it would work. Aircraft electrical and electronics, some of the B52's I worked on in the mid-60's were the last ones they built. They were still flying when most were put in mothballs in the 90's, some are still on active duty. Its a matter of proper design and cooling.
    Last edited by Bill George; 07-30-2015 at 9:42 AM.