Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Would You Live On The Water And NOT Have a Boat?

Blog Entries
    You are teasing us Julie with that post and no picture...

Looks like we would almost be neighbors, at least 3 months of the year, our hangout is Anna Maria Island, about an hour north.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 08-21-2015 at 2:17 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

I've been boating since I was 4 years old, and right now I've got a 1964 Glastron 14' runabout in the garage that gets used mainly for crabbing and towing an intertube, but I have taken it up as far north as Nanimo, BC. My dad has a 1942 Chris-Craft 30' cabin cruiser that stays in the water but under cover in a nearby marina. Sadly, I've been so busy that I haven't been able to get out much on either one in the last couple years, but dad did charter a gorgeous 42' Grand Banks Motoryacht last summer and we were all completely spoiled by having showers, twin engines, and an auto pilot that tied into charting software.

I don't know what the boating scene is like in FL, but If I could afford a house with a dock here in the Puget Sound, I'd certainly set aside some funds for a boat (large enough to overnight on) to keep at that dock. There are so many destinations around the Puget Sound that are great for a weekend trip, or we can head up to the San Juan Islands or the Canadian Gulf Islands for longer vacations. The greater Seattle area has one of the highest boat ownership per-capita rates in the country, and for good reason.
    ~Garth

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    You are teasing us Julie with that post and no picture...

Looks like we would almost be neighbors, at least 3 months of the year, our hangout is Anna Maria Island, about an hour north.
    Did the picture come through yet? It's from my misc albums here. I can see it on my computer.

AMI looks beautiful. How is it on a barrier island? For no reason other than what happened to Galveston Island in the last hurricane to hit it, I have been avoiding homes on barrier islands. Punta Gorda took it on the chin in 2004 with Charley but locals tell me hurricanes are a rarity here.

Garth, one of the reasons we decided on the area we are looking now is it has great sailing and a lot of islands to explore. It's a far cry from the Bahamas but we could reach the Bahamas or the Keys if we took an extended trip in a seaworthy sailboat. But with only a weekend to explore, you can make it to many interesting anchorages from here. That's one of the reasons I don't get buying a home on a canal and not owning a boat.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Julie, I was in Punta Gorda for a while after Katrina fixing bucket trucks for an overhead company. One of my many talents.

They had some damage, but no where near as bad as Texas, where I went first.

Up until I had a financial disaster I had a 28' Nimble Nomad and a 27' catamaran. I was getting too old for the catamaran but I sure do miss the Nomad. Best boat I have ever owned.

Hope you love it down there, big change. Myself, I could not live without my trees, and although winter is cold here, summers in the south are unbearable for me, at least at this age. I am excited to hear about you wandering adventures, I can live vicariously through you!

Thanks, Larry. I lived in and around Chicago for 64 years. It's a great place but winters, after I retired, were taking a toll. I spent too much time indoors and most of it was inactive. I don't think I'll ever get used to Florida summers but they will be more tolerable if I can get out and do some sailing. I still vividly remember the first time I sailed over to the Bahamas and the blistering heat. But the microwave I felt like I was in was soon forgotten as we enjoyed one of the best sailing areas in the world.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain