Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Would You Live On The Water And NOT Have a Boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    The question I posed came from seeing so many houses on ocean access canals that had no boat at their dock/seawall. I'd guess anywhere between 1/2 to 2/3 of the houses had no boat. Anyone who has ever been to a marina knows boats sit in their slip or at their mooring most of the time, so you can't say the boats were probably out on the water when they took the satellite picture. Maybe 5% were, tops. Those home owners wanted a home on the water and paid a premium price for that. From what I've seen, that premium could be 25% or more.

The view isn't all that great. Some look at mangroves. Most look at the house on the other side of the canal. It's not like living on the ocean or a lake, where you get changing sea states, sunrises and sunsets, and an expansive view. It's the same view all the time and the water is usually brown or green. If you don't own a boat, why pay the premium price? I don't get it.

Now if some of those homeowners could understand the insanity of owning one of these homes without owning a boat, maybe they might want to sell it...

to me.
    Another issue with some of those canals - They can be improperly designed so that they don't flush out as the tide comes in and goes out and the water can get somewhat foul (caused by a number of things but fertilizer runoff is one cause. It causes algae growth and that removes the oxygen, then you get dead fish. I'm sure there are other causes). This is mostly true for dead end canals. It's likely that any canals built in the last 30 years or so are properly designed, but many of those places were put in during the 50's when regulations were not as stringent. If you think you might want a house on a canal, talk to the neighbors and see what their experience is with the canal.

You may have to pay a share to have the canal dredged every so many years because they tend to silt up, especially dead end canals.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Julie, I think you know my answer!!! I would own a big boat with a small house next to it. We are well on track saving for our world cruiser.

When I came to the islands I bought a 14' RIB with a 70hp Tohatsu. (I believe in slightly overpowering) That boat was used DAILY. Well, nightly on weekdays and daily on weekends. I would go to St. John every night after work and cruise around the island on weekends. I ran it ragged. Don't listen to the naysayers. You NEED a boat.

Listen, Julie... You hear that? It's the call of the sea.

Yeah, some kind of boat. You have to be able to get around.

Malcolm, when I was a teenager, I had an inboard ski boat. One of my ski buddy's family had some off brand tri-hull design that was max rated for 45 hp. We built a ski tow pylon for it that mounted by the top outboard bolts. He took the windshield off so he could see better how to drive. We had several slalom courses around the lake, and he put an 85 Johnson on it, but it wouldn't pull us 36 mph through the slalom course without slowing down a lot when we cut, so he put a 125 on it. That worked. If you were driving it by yourself about 30 mph and floored it (hand throttle of course) the whole boat would jump out of the water, the backend would walk sideways a little on the prop, sit down, and pin you back in the seat. With the prop he had on it, top speed was about 50 mph. My boat had a 390 Ford Police Interceptor in it, and my best friend had an SK with a 426. Hot boats later turned to racing sailboats for me, but I can still drive anything that floats, and some things that don't (sailboards). I do still like horsepower though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Yeah, some kind of boat. You have to be able to get around.

Malcolm, when I was a teenager, I had an inboard ski boat. One of my ski buddy's family had some off brand tri-hull design that was max rated for 45 hp. We built a ski tow pylon for it that mounted by the top outboard bolts. He took the windshield off so he could see better how to drive. We had several slalom courses around the lake, and he put an 85 Johnson on it, but it wouldn't pull us 36 mph through the slalom course without slowing down a lot when we cut, so he put a 125 on it. That worked. If you were driving it by yourself about 30 mph and floored it (hand throttle of course) the whole boat would jump out of the water, the backend would walk sideways a little on the prop, sit down, and pin you back in the seat. With the prop he had on it, top speed was about 50 mph. My boat had a 390 Ford Police Interceptor in it, and my best friend had an SK with a 426. Hot boats later turned to racing sailboats for me, but I can still drive anything that floats, and some things that don't (sailboards). I do still like horsepower though.
    I love it! My 14' RIB would hit about 45 statute mph but would do so in any seas. These guys with the go-fast boats would be out with their harem of girls in 8 foot seas pounding head-on into the waves. I would zip past them zig-zagging along the crests and they would be so upset that a 14' inflatable just passed them.

My my grandfather built a wood boat in the 20's and put a Hispana Suissa (sp?) V12 in it. Nobody could beat him. He finally started giving the trophy in the anual boat races to the guy in second and said he didn't want to be a glory hog and just wanted to go fast. Yep, I got his genes for sure. That said, I am more of a sailor than power boater.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    ........... maybe rent one when you feel the need.
    'twas a wise man who observed "If it flies, floats or fools around, rent it".

If you owned a house near the ocean (not on the ocean) with a dock or seawall deep enough to dock a boat with access to the ocean, would you be likely to own a boat or would the view justify the premium price you'd pay for owning a property like that? Premium price being what you paid for the house, property taxes and additional flood insurance you may need.
    In my opinion one should enjoy the benefits your home affords. However, judging from the wording of your question, it appears to me that you are not currently a boat owner and are wondering whether it's "appropriate" to own a home with docking space based on what others do, i.e. own a boat because other home owners in the area do. Frankly, I think you should consider the pros/cons of each alternative: buy a boat; don't buy a boat; don't buy the house at a premium price if you don't intend to use the boat frequently.

Further, if you don't have any actual boating experience, you should consider the situations you could run into, especially at sea. Boating is not just about jumping in a boat & having fun. There is much to consider about boat handling especially at/around docks, seamanship, safety, reading the weather, navigation, knowing & understanding boating regulations - Coast Guard & local rules of the road, insurance, property & personal liabilities, winter storage, cost of operation, responsibilities for onboard passengers, etc., etc.

I'm not trying to scare you from purchasing a boat, they do provide a lot of enjoyment, but there is much to consider. I've owned 6 six boats over the past 60 years and each provided enjoyment within the limits of their design & capabilities. However, they all have their limitations. Consider your needs & application to get the best use & enjoyment from a boat. Frankly, if you do decide to get a boat that is consistent with those others have and which "fits" you docking space, you might consider taking a boating course and getting some experience, first with a smaller boat to get a preliminary feel and then graduating to larger boats before deciding on which boat to purchase. Renting boats can provide this experience.

Best of luck with your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    So you are not asking for help in making a decision, just wondering out loud?? It sounded like you were looking for advice.
    No, not at all. I was just curious how many here would pay a premium for a house on a canal if they never intended to own a boat.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me because the view isn't all that great. It can even be downright ugly. And if across the canal is a mangrove swamp, you have a no-see-um factory in your back yard. If you like a water view, make it an ocean or lake, not a canal that was created solely for boat travel and docking.

If I wanted a view, I'd want something visually appealing. But, from what I've seen, at least half of the homeowners in the canal communities we've house-hunted in don't own boats. Yet they paid a lot more for their home and pay taxes and insurance annually that is considerably more than non-canal homes. The only way to make that ugly canal beautiful is to see a boat docked on it. The beauty being your ability to escape the rat race every once in a while.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Julie, I think you know my answer!!! I would own a big boat with a small house next to it. We are well on track saving for our world cruiser.

When I came to the islands I bought a 14' RIB with a 70hp Tohatsu. (I believe in slightly overpowering) That boat was used DAILY. Well, nightly on weekdays and daily on weekends. I would go to St. John every night after work and cruise around the island on weekends. I ran it ragged. Don't listen to the naysayers. You NEED a boat.

Listen, Julie... You hear that? It's the call of the sea.
    Malcolm, while we can't afford a big boat and a small house, we are looking for a small house we can dock our small to medium size sailboat on (not yet purchased). The cost of slip fees vs. the additional cost of a house on a canal is about break-even. And I know me. I'm more likely to get a lot of use out of the boat if I see it all the time than if it's sitting in a slip at a marina. And the boat will be better maintained if it's in the back yard.

Someone here said there are some of us who are one with a boat. One of those inexplicable curiosities is that we find great satisfaction, and even peace, in doing something others have no interest in doing. For me, it's sailing. The first time I stepped aboard a sailboat I became one with it. I know people who become white-knuckled the moment a sailboat heels. Not me. It's a rush!
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Malcolm, while we can't afford a big boat and a small house, we are looking for a small house we can dock our small to medium size sailboat on (not yet purchased). The cost of slip fees vs. the additional cost of a house on a canal is about break-even. And I know me. I'm more likely to get a lot of use out of the boat if I see it all the time than if it's sitting in a slip at a marina. And the boat will be better maintained if it's in the back yard.

Someone here said there are some of us who are one with a boat. One of those inexplicable curiosities is that we find great satisfaction, and even peace, in doing something others have no interest in doing. For me, it's sailing. The first time I stepped aboard a sailboat I became one with it. I know people who become white-knuckled the moment a sailboat heels. Not me. It's a rush!

Ocean property is already unaffordable to people like us. The canal can be a good alternative. You don't get the ocean breeze or the ocean view, but you get access. The downside is also that if you are not on the ocean, the Florida summers can be overtly humid and intolerable. The closer you are to the ocean the better because you really need the breeze. Many folks probably bought the canal side houses just get some some relief from the heat and humidity but that may not turned out as well as they hoped.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Many days I go skiing in the morning and kayaking in the afternoon.
    I gather you don't like cold weather.
    I'll remember that if you invite me to go rowing one morning

as the joke goes
    The galley master comes in and says" I've got good news and bad news, Good news Captain is doubling your ration of grog, bad news he wants to go skiing tomorrow"

As a pretty avid birder I'd absolutely own a waterfront property, even better if it were a stream holding trout! Near zero interest in power boats, though I have occasionally given thought to putting a trolling motor on my canoe to help out with flats fishing. I do own two kayaks and a canoe and wouldn't think about getting rid of them if I had a place closer to the water. I see a boat as a tool that helps me get closer to the wildlife; loud motors and big wakes accomplish the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    As a pretty avid birder I'd absolutely own a waterfront property, even better if it were a stream holding trout! Near zero interest in power boats, though I have occasionally given thought to putting a trolling motor on my canoe to help out with flats fishing. I do own two kayaks and a canoe and wouldn't think about getting rid of them if I had a place closer to the water. I see a boat as a tool that helps me get closer to the wildlife; loud motors and big wakes accomplish the opposite.
    You might appreciate these photos from my deck last winter.
    swan.jpgducks.jpg

OK, short answer.

Ocean or lake front...........yes.

Canal...............................no.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Does it count if you lived directly across the street from a lake and didn't own a boat? There was even a park across the street so no houses to block your view. The boat launch was 150 feet or so from my driveway.

I just have no desire to ever own a boat. Even though I was across from the lake I would have either had to launch a boat every time I wanted to use it, or I would have had to find someone who lived on the lake that wanted to rent dock space.

Blog Entries
    Okay, I live on the ocean (but no dock or slip) and no longer own a boat. I had a fishing vessel that I used a lot (1 to 2 times per week at a minimum 40 mile run) but work got in the way and I wasn't using it as much as I should (or wanted to). I sold it. Not the happiest day of my life.

To Julie's question, I would live by the big blue and not own a boat. If I was retired, I might get another one. Big enough to tackle 100 mile plus runs and small enough to single hand. If I want to sail, I crew or borrow someone else's boat. LOML is not a water girl.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"