Thread: Phoenix area hardwood supply

Phoenix area hardwood supply

Superior Hardwoods is out of 5/4 hard maple and I am looking to see if anyone here can recommend an alternate supplier. Based on my visits over the years they cater to the cabinet making trade and have fair prices and stock the half dozen standard hardwoods in the standard sizes.

I like superior. I found amazing curly maple at the Woodworkers source on I17 (even though I swore I'd never buy from them again). Timber Hardwoods is hit or miss. How much do you need?

I feel the same way as you do about Woodworkers Source (and Rockler). I like Superior because they always leave some of their stock in the rough. A friend suggested Peterman on W. Washington so I will try to get there today. I only need about 50 BF mixed between 4/4, 5/4. and 8/4. The prices over the phone are $3.00, 3.75, and 4.05 for those three thicknesses.

Educate me! I have bought from Woodworker's Source quite a few times. (Ordered a small amount of basswood yesterday). I've had good experiences via mail order. What am I missing? Unfortunately, there is no source of good lumber aorund here (Memphis, TN area). A real bummer.

Haven't ordered from Rockler in a while, but I have had good luck with them too.

Tony

Tony,

Joe may chime in here, but my experience was paying Ritz prices for a Motel 6 room. The year was 2002 and I was looking for 12/4 cherry for a four poster bed. At the time they wanted $12/BF. I ordered it from Groff and Groff in PA, and it delivered to my door for less than half that. I have not considered them since. I have not purchased wood from Rockler, but I have scanned their supply and pricing and it is shall we say opportunistic.

You say there is no good local source, but the cabinet shops have to be buying well. If you are looking for common types you may be able to find a source through them.

I've bought 5/4 Maple from Peterman Lumber here in Las Vegas. They have a location there in Phoenix that might have it.

Have you tried Spellman Hardwoods?

I went to Peterman-Phoenix today. First class. very busy, very well stocked, fair prices as noted above, and selection beyond the normal half a dozen standard grades used in cabinetmaking. I priced Spellman over the phone and they were 10-15% higher than Peterman. Possibly if pushed they would meet the Peterman pricing. For now I am sticking with Peterman

Peterman has other locations in Fontana and Oxnard, California as well as the one in Las Vegas mentioned by Jay.
    Last edited by Rich Enders; 07-30-2015 at 12:38 AM.