Thread: Point Turner finish

Point Turner finish

My wife asked me to make a "Point Turner" for her (see photo). This item is used to steam/iron a collar point, etc. I made her a couple out of hard maple and walnut scraps.
    IMG_0539.jpg
    Question is....What finish can I use that will not bleed or be affected by a steam iron's heat and moisture? Apparently she doesn't want the finish to bleed into the fabric (picky, picky woman). I was thinking Waterlox because I really like using it as a wipe-on. I am, as always, open to all suggestions.

leave it as is. not sure how well waterlox or any other finish will stand up to the heat and possible steam from ironing.

David,
    Thanks for replying, I agree with your thoughts, was just wondering if anyone had any actual experience with this situation. I think I'll just go ahead and "burnish" the surfaces with MicroMesh.

Most film forming finishes will fail at around 200°F an iron gets a lot hotter than that. NO FINISH

Hard maple was an excellent choice of wood.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.