Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Homemade Brute Captive Hollower

1. I added a 1 1/8 bar to my monster system. Really helps with deeper forms. You might also consider slick tape on both bars of your capture rig. Rockler and Woodcraft both sell it. I have to admit I use the articulated system most of the time. I just seem to like it better but for forms over 16" deep I go to the captured system. Yours looks good. Great suggestions here.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Steve - one other thing to keep in mind while hollowing - make sure the cutter is working at or just above center. Just because the cutter is at center when you start doesn't mean that is where it is when you are 8, 12 or 18 inches deep. Cutting below center will give you some serious vibrations!
    Your so right about that Steve. I found that out today, even though you start out tool in center, as I traveled in about 10 inches, the bit was a good 1/4 inch below center. I now raise the tool rest up to made the correction. In addition, I didn't notice but when you change between cutters, (3/16 and 1/4") there's a difference as well. Like you say, this could also be the cause of some of that teeth chattering. It's going to be lots of trial and testing, but I'm having a blast. Thanks to you and all for the tips and pointers!!!! I'll post the 2 final boring bars when I have them finalized.

All good advice--I would suggest 1 & 1/8 bar and make all the swing to the backside. Look into Woodcut cutter tips--no catches.