Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are you going to upgade to Windows 10 today?

Blog Entries

Are you going to upgade to Windows 10 today?

Windows 10 is available today, are you going to upgrade today?
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    Windows 10 is available today, are you going to upgrade today?
    I will start with my laptop, download and install it. According to the "compatibility report" everything is good, apps and hardware. After that, if i like it, will upgrade the desktop to windows 10. What about yourself? Also does anyone wonder why MS has suddenly made this free for all users to upgrade to? Call me paranoid but i wonder if there is an ulterior motive to this "freebie".

Yes. It sounds like a great improvement.

Red
    RED

Hard to be the only guy in the room selling a product everyone else is giving away for free.

AIUI, It’s a one-time free upgrade for Windows 7/8 users, w/ a 1 year window. After that, it’ll be bundled w/ machines as it was, or one can buy licenses.

Reasons for Microsoft to do this:

- reduce market fragmentation — they especially need to wean people off Windows 7
    - spur adoption and increase market share (slight variation / expansion of the above)
    - they need to kill off botnets, moving home users to a version which forces and pushes down updates w/o user intervention or the chance to opt out will help a lot
    - they want a captive audience to test patches for business users

Apparently they’ll be working out some way to have various iterations of Windows 10, as Apple does w/ Mac OS X, w/ specific time frames for support and update eligibility. One won’t be able to buy a single machine / license and upgrade the machine for forever and never buy a new license / upgrade for it.

Not updating immediately — got burnt out on being an early adopter, and I only do beta-testing when I get a software license. I’ll be waiting until a couple of people at least have reported good success on the machine in question.
    Last edited by William Adams; 07-29-2015 at 12:12 PM.

Already running for about one(+) month on my laptop and it works lots better than the Windows 8.1 that it had before. My wife's laptop has Windows 7, so it will stay the same, we like 7 much more than 8.1 or 10.

EDIT: to say... the update procedure is my only gripe so far. For those of us on metered connections it really complicates life.
    Last edited by Ken Kimbrell; 07-29-2015 at 7:29 AM.

I have Windows 7 and am happy with it.

This constant updating is a pain on all devices. What I have works well for me.

The worst update was the recent Android phone update to Lollipop. It took me days to get things straightened out. The same happens for every Windows update.

Grumble....Grumble.....Grumble

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kimbrell View Post
    Already running for about one(+) month on my laptop and it works lots better than the Windows 8.1 that it had before. My wife's laptop has Windows 7, so it will stay the same, we like 7 much more than 8.1 or 10.

EDIT: to say... the update procedure is my only gripe so far. For those of us on metered connections it really complicates life.
    I have windows 7 too and it works fine for my purposes. . I am not a computer expert. Is there any downside to staying with Windows 7?
    Dennis

I think so. I signed up for the download a few weeks ago. I see no reason NOT to do it for the laptop I use the most. By the way, here at work we use Windows 7. It will probably be 5 years before our IT department is ready to go to Windows 10

No, not crazy. Version 10.1 perhaps, but never a .0 release of any software if I can possibly avoid it.

Absolutely. They have blown it the last 5 times. It seems certain they will get it right this time!

Actually I just checked and they tell me to wait until notified.

Blog Entries
    We currently have (3) Windows 7 computers and (1) Windows XP computer. As these computers are currently running everything we need them to (not much more then Microsoft Office) we aren't planning on upgrading.

PHM

How long will it be till the people that have reserved a copy for Windows 10 can download it ? Seems as though the Beta testers get first crack at Window 10. We talking days, weeks ???

I just ordered a new computer with Win7 Pro 64-bit on it. I'm not interested in V10 at this point and the guy building the computer advised against it, too. I learned from previous Windows versions that it's best to let a few hundred thousand other people test it first and wait through a couple of version updates before diving in.

I am in no hurry to upgrade. I have had very bad luck with upgrading Windows in the past. The system never ran right until I did a clean install of Windows. If I do anything it will be a clean install probably on a new SSD as I only have an 80GB right now. There is a good chance I will stick with 7 on this PC and just wait for 10 until I get a new PC down the road.

My understanding is that Microsoft will release the upgrade in stages to avoid overwhelming their servers. It would make sense that those who helped test the product would get first crack at downloading the final product.

For a Windows 7 machine, if you envision continuing to use it past January 14, 2020 ( http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle ) you should consider finding a way to get the Windows 10 update while it's free and archiving an installation of it — if that’s possible. I’m looking into doing that on my son’s Windows 7 gaming machine.